talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

England National Team Discussion

Only thing I can think of with Saka is he’s not ready to make a decision on where his future lies or he wants to play for Nigeria instead. Chilwell being crap and injured and Shaw being injured is fine. Once we’re past them two though, you are scrapping the barrel and will end up playing a winger out of position or moving a player from the right over to the left, which is probably why we’ll end up with Walker or Mings at left back. 

I think the Phillips inclusion exacerbates the fury behind the Grealish exclusion. If Phillips wasn’t picked and a player who had played all season in the Premier League was, I don’t think this is as big a deal as it’s been made out. Southgate doesn’t fancy James Maddison, a similar type of player to Grealish, he’s said as much in the past. Maybe that type of player isn’t for him or maybe he just thinks Grealish is more trouble than it’s worth. We’ve seen a few incidents of behaviour over the year away from football that are questionable but then you’ve got Dier in there, who climbed into the crowd for a straightener this year, and Maguire, who was selected whilst a court case was ongoing against him. 

Now Maguire has been found guilty, Southgate has a big decision to make.

If he remains consistent and drops him, I tip my hate and say fair play.

If he keeps him in, he will lose the authority he was beginning to build in charge.

Either way, he should really be issuing a statement soon as.

5 minutes ago, shut up said:

you think Mount is anywhere near Grealish's level xD

Coming from a bloke who thinks Willian is better than Werner, Havertz, and Ziyech.  Your opinion on anything football related,  from now until further notice, is truly null and void.

What's even funnier is that you criticised Batard and Artful Dodge for not watching Havertz regularly and only YouTube clips. ANYONE who's watched Grealish regularly will know he's been operated at LW and that is where he's made the most impact for Villa. 

4 minutes ago, shut up said:

Whether he plays centrally or LW he is still a much better player than Mount. Heat maps below show their positional play this season and it's very similar. 

image.thumb.png.6c8a1d1d4d68a5900f015c81670ca5f5.png

How does a heat map have any bearing on how players will perform in different positions? The responsibilities of a Left Winger and Central Midfielder are completely different. xD

6 minutes ago, shut up said:

Heat map shows you that Mount and Grealish occupy the same position on a football pitch (at least this season anyway). Therefore comparable players. 

And as everyone who has seen both players knows, Grealish is much better, whether that be at 8, 10 or LW. Aston Villa would be in the Championship right now if they had Mount instead of Grealish.

A heat map alone does not compare two players who play in completely different positions and roles you numpty. Pulisic has the same heatmap as Mount, should we switch Pulisic to play as a #8 then by your logic? He'd obviously excel there given he has the same heatmap! 

There is a reason why Grealish has excelled tremendously at LW as compared to playing in central midfield. Because he possess skills that makes him a great attacking threat. Taking players on, finding key passes in the final third, and being able to attract defenders. All of these qualities would be redundant if he'd be operating Mount's position and role, a role that sheds more responsibility in build up and transition as opposed to Grealish's role of attacking. 

• Administrator
Just now, shut up said:

when have I done this? I used stats to back up why willian was a good signing? Stats can be useful.

You didn't like when I used stats for Lacazette compared to Firmino a few weeks back.

4 minutes ago, shut up said:

I never said that a heat map alone can compare two players, but your argument was one is a LW and the other a central player, which is nonsense. Grealish has been brilliant when played centrally, just as he has out wide. Mount and Grealish occupy similar spaces on the pitch, Grealish is just much better when in those spaces.

He hasn't you loony. xD

The only time Grealish operated in Mount's role was last year  in the championship, to which Mount had a better output than him. 

11 minutes ago, shut up said:

Grealish has played centrally plenty of times last season. xD  coming from deep, driving villa forward.

And been made redundant, averaging a whopping 1 goal and 3 assists at CM as opposed to 8 goals and 3 assists playing as a LW, including the enormous amount of chances he's created.  

Edited by Cicero

1 minute ago, shut up said:

the fact that you think goals and assists are the best way to judge a CM tells me everything I need to know. I'm going to mute you now.

I think it's more alarming you can't grasp the notion that a winger isn't as productive playing as a CM. :what:

Goals, assists, and chances created are stats you judge an attacking player. Which Grealish is. 

1 hour ago, Cicero said:

Hmm, Rashford, who operates at LW, is taken out and is replaced by Grealish...who is another LW...9_9

Actually Rashford dropped out..... Note he mentions club & Country when clearly he only cares about his club... :ph34r:

He Tweeted:-

"Gutted. Never want to let this team down but these fixtures just came a little too soon for me.

"I tried my best but I have to focus on starting the season at my strongest for club and country. Good luck boys, I'll be cheering you on from home."

3 hours ago, Stan said:

It's wrong because it's the 'bio-bubble' they've broken which is missed out of the headline. Any other time it's probably fine and no issue at all. I

I disagree. They have broken rules and shown disrespect to the manager.

It's actually even worse the fact they are both in the squad for the first time.

Imagine starting a new job somewhere in a higher position and fucking up in the first week? It's a bit embarrassing.

Not only that, surely after what Maguire has just done there was an internal message to the squad to keep your nose clean for a bit. For two lads on their debut call up's to disrespect that is really dumb.

Southgate has done the right thing. He's sent them home. He had a thinly veiled pop at Grealish for being foolish off the pitch and left him out the squad initially citing the behaviour as one of the reasons, and he has to be consistent here with these two.

I would not be against him leaving them both out of the next call up's to teach them a lesson. It's not a lads on tour trip, they should be remaining professional.

Really disappointed, especially in Foden as he had a decent game the other night but there you go. 

Edited by Lucas
  • Upvote 2

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Lucas said:

I disagree. They have broken rules and shown disrespect to the manager.

It's actually even worse the fact they are both in the squad for the first time.

Imagine starting a new job somewhere in a higher position and fucking up in the first week? It's a bit embarrassing.

Not only that, surely after what Maguire has just done there was an internal message to the squad to keep your nose clean for a bit. For two lads on their debut call up's to disrespect that is really dumb.

Southgate has done the right thing. He's sent them home. He had a pop at Grealish too for being foolish and left him out the squad initially citing the behaviour as one of the reasons, and he has to be consistent here with these two.

I would not be against him leaving them both out of the next call up's to teach them a lesson.

Huh? Which bit do you disagree with xD?

I think it's fine they've been sent home. They broke the rules. 

The 'any other time...' comment is in a non-COVID/non-bio-bubble context where no-one would bat an eyelid (we don't know what rules Southgate has in place). 

1 minute ago, Stan said:

Huh? Which bit do you disagree with xD?

I think it's fine they've been sent home. They broke the rules. 

The 'any other time...' comment is in a non-COVID/non-bio-bubble context where no-one would bat an eyelid (we don't know what rules Southgate has in place). 

Ah I see, I misread what you meant. 

I'll wind my neck in then.

Edited by Lucas
  • Haha 1