talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Europa League 2023/24 - FINAL - Atalanta 3-0 Bayer Leverkusen - Wednesday 22nd May, 2024

• Administrator

Delighted for Atalanta, and especially Lookman. 

All the attention (rightly to an extent) on Leverkusen, felt like Atalanta never got a look in pre-game but they've absolutely blown Leverkusen away. Credit to Gasperini for nailing tonight. 

Leverkusen have still had a stellar season and one more final to compete in on Saturday! 

• The title was changed to Europa League 2023/24 - FINAL - Atalanta 3-0 Bayer Leverkusen - Wednesday 22nd May, 2024
3 minutes ago, OrangeKhrush said:

Leverkusen had an unreal season,  but to lose the last game is going to be an absolute kick in the nuts and undermines the hard work.   Sure they won the Bundesliga,  but winning the Europa would have been worth a lot more. 

Atalanta were brilliant,  Koopmeiners is a boss. 

This wans't their last game of the season, their last game is in the DFB Pokal final(German Cup final) against Kaiserslautern. So they can still do the double.

• Administrator

Lookman will deservedly get the plaudits but Ederson is an unsung hero. Pressed effectively in midfield for Atalanta along with Koopmeiners. Dominated. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Rick said:

Alonso has had an absolute mare tonight. His starting lineup was questionable. Such a weak midfield when you’re playing such a high intensity team is just suicide. They’ve had no control and I think him taking off Grimaldo so early was really poor as well. His players haven’t matched the energy of Atalanta either. 

It’s a good job they have the cup final in a few days because this performance would have been a wet fish of an ending to the season. They’ve all let themselves down. 

I completely agree, Alonso got it all wrong today. How you don't start one of your excellent out and out scorers for a final like this is really questionable. One of Boniface or Schick should have started, they have incredible scoring records. While in midfield, he should have started the tough, robust workhorse Andrich, instead of Palacios. Palacios is perhaps a more cultured midfielder than Andrich, but he does not have the dynamic energy levels and toughness of Andrich. Andrich should have started next to Xhaka in midfield. Andrich would have been the perfect player in midfield to respond to Atalanta's high pressing game.

Congratulations to Atalanta and Lookman though, they got their tactics right and Lookman was the star man of the match. He has always had the potential and he has shown moments brilliance throughout his career, but at Atalanta, he finally seems to be living up to his great potential.

2 minutes ago, Rick said:

I would absolutely love us to get Koopmeiners. Did Slot manage him at AZ? Get it sorted out Arne. 

Yeah, Koopmeiners and Lookman looked really good today, two excellent players. Yes, Slot did manage Koopmeiners at AZ Alkmaar.

Wasn't expecting this to be so one sided. Especially in Atalanta's favour. Congratulations to them and it's still congratulations to Bayer Leverkusen for a great season.

There is going to be a whole generation of kids who will look at this Atalanta team in a similar spirit that we looked at Italian teams in the 90s, obviously they’re not at that level, but their improvement has been great and this is a well deserved win for the club as a whole.

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, OrangeKhrush said:

Leverkusen had an unreal season,  but to lose the last game is going to be an absolute kick in the nuts and undermines the hard work.   Sure they won the Bundesliga,  but winning the Europa would have been worth a lot more. 

They’d never won the Bundesliga before and won it without losing to any side until a Europa Cup final, this will be shortly forgotten and still be considered their best ever season.

It’s a blow but it’s not like it “undermines the hard work” & the Europa League’s certainly not worth more than a league title.

Gasperini & Atalanta deserve a lot of credit for the cup run they’ve had. Also I’ll take 1 Ederson for our midfield please.

• Upvote 4

• Subscriber

Nice to see an Italian team win the EL and it was a bit surprising that one hasn't won it since the new format. I'd also like Ederson to play in our midfield, what a player.

• Administrator
8 hours ago, OrangeKhrush said:

It doesn't undermine anything xD

Winning the Bundesliga is more than the Europa. 

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, OrangeKhrush said:

I wouldn't say winning this would have been worth alot more to them. They have won the Europa League before(when it was the UEFA Cup) but this was their first ever Bundesliga title after being labelled 'Neverkusen' for decades. 

They also may win their domestic Cup at the weekend, which would top off a great season. 

Hopefully for them, this result won't negatively affect their performance, after being unbeaten for so long.

Edited by Carnivore Chris

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, Carnivore Chris said:

I wouldn't say winning this would have been worth alot more to them. They have won the Europa League before(when it was the UEFA Cup) but this was their first ever Bundesliga title after being labelled 'Neverkusen' for decades. 

They also may win their domestic Cup at the weekend, which would top off a great season. 

Hopefully for them, this result won't negatively affect their performance, after being unbeaten for so long.

Well, that's laughable. Regardless whether they won the UEFA Gup before or not. It's like saying winning the Europa League would had meant more to Liverpool than winning the title. The league is the most important competition for any club, regardless, if some English Premier League fans, whether local or from abroad, are interested in it or not. The EPL' s fans isn't that decessive for a foreign club's self-assessment, believe it or not!

On a sidenote: Many people were saying the Buli would be a Bayern one horse race, no another team winning isn't worth much!😆 You can't have it both ways.

Edited by Rucksackfranzose

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Well, that's laughable. Regardless whether they won the UEFA Gup before or not. It's like saying winning the Europa League would had meant more to Liverpool than winning the title. The league is the most important competition for any club, regardless, if some English Premier League fans, whether local or from abroad, are interested in it or not. The EPL' s fans isn't that decessive for a foreign club's self-assessment, believe it or not!

He did say at the start of his sentence that winning this wouldn't have been worth a lot more to them? 

Once again you make reference to 'English Premier League fans' despite a) other English fans agreeing that Europa League wouldn't have meant more and b) Blackburn aren't in the Premier League. 

I go back to what I said the other week - you have a clear dislike of fans of all English clubs and will use any opportunity to slate them. Just because one or two, or even a few, English fans say something you disagree with doesn't mean it is indicative of all English fans. Stop tarring us with a brush you love to use constantly. 

1 minute ago, Stan said:

He did say at the start of his sentence that winning this wouldn't have been worth a lot more to them? 

Once again you make reference to 'English Premier League fans' despite a) other English fans agreeing that Europa League wouldn't have meant more and b) Blackburn aren't in the Premier League. 

I go back to what I said the other week - you have a clear dislike of fans of all English clubs and will use any opportunity to slate them. Just because one or two, or even a few, English fans say something you disagree with doesn't mean it is indicative of all English fans. Stop tarring us with a brush you love to use constantly. 

The original statement came from a Newcastle fan, @OrangeKhrush to be exact, last time I checked they were in the EPL.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

The original statement came from a Newcastle fan, @OrangeKhrush to be exact, last time I checked they were in the EPL.

I know. But that's not who you quoted or replied to :what:.

As for the edit in your post, again you conflate. You reference comments about Bayern when Leverkusen have won. But the context you totally ignore. 

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, Stan said:

I know. But that's not who you quoted or replied to :what:.

As for the edit in your post, again you conflate. You reference comments about Bayern when Leverkusen have won. But the context you totally ignore. 

Quoted @Carnivore Chris simply to tell him that assumption he was referring to was laughable, not his own opinion. Probably didn't make clear enough, that our opinions weren't  actually that far apart. The edited part I said that it's duplicitious to say the German title would mean little because Bayern  would always win it on the one hand, but than call it of little worth if a team other than Bayern win it. Either the first bolded part is wrong or the second- they can't true both, though. That's what I meant with you can't have both ways.

Edit: To be less misunderstandable was more answering the post Chris answered to than the one I indeed quoted.

Edited by Rucksackfranzose