talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Paris Olympics 2024

football forums

40 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Pretty sure even before the Soviets too? Didn't Hitler want to use the Olympics to show that Germany had a big dick as well?

Yeah I think so. I suppose its because it's the largest multisport event in the world. I don't think countries see the world cup in the same way. If they did usa would put a lot money into it 

7 minutes ago, Gunnersaurus said:

Yeah I think so. I suppose its because it's the largest multisport event in the world. I don't think countries see the world cup in the same way. If they did usa would put a lot money into it 

Honestly, I think the US would give more of a fuck about football and the world cup if they were able to stop the matches more so they could flood it with ads. Look at all the sports that are massive in the US and it's all very stop-start compared to 45 minutes of football with no breaks for tv sponsors to try to sell you stuff.

9 minutes ago, Gunnersaurus said:

Disagree they actually do. That's the one and only reason the World Cup is the biggest periodical sports event on earth, in my honest opinion.

15 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Disagree they actually do. That's the one and only reason the World Cup is the biggest periodical sports event on earth, in my honest opinion.

You're probably right now that I think about it. I just think it's a bit strange that China and USA don't put more into it as its such a big competition. They're the two biggest dick swingers in the world

@MUFC

@Rucksackfranzose What I actually thought just to clarify was that I thought maybe countries didn't see the world cup as a dick swinging contest so much because its just one sport. Usa can say well we havent won the world cup but we dont like football. Where as because the olympics is so many sports they cant really use that excuse 

8 hours ago, Gunnersaurus said:

You're probably right now that I think about it. I just think it's a bit strange that China and USA don't put more into it as its such a big competition. They're the two biggest dick swingers in the world

@MUFC

🤣

I am watching Ukraine take on Iraq at the Olympics and Ukraine have largely dominated in the opening 35 minutes. Mykhailenko forced the Iraqi keeper Hassan into a great save early on. But Maksym Khlan has been outstanding. His dribbling skills are impressive and he is extremely creative. Khlan has already had 2 big efforts in this game so far go narrowly wide of the target. Khlan currently plays his football in Poland, but I can't see him remaining there for long. Khlan has been a key player for Ukraine's under 21's over the last year.

The Ukrainian right back Krupskyi went on a run, skipped past a tackle and then shot at goal forcing an excellent block by the Iraqi keeper. Ukraine are really dominating here, it's only a matter of time before they score surely.

Wild scenes at the Argentina v Morocco match. 

Argentina controversially got a late equaliser in the dying seconds of 16 minutes of added time. There were then fireworks/bombs immediately after and they had to suspend the match. Many thought the match had ended 2-2.  Nearly an hour later, the match continued behind closed doors and they reviewed the equaliser and ruled it offsides. The match then ended 2-1 for Morocco. 

After Sikan had a shot in a dangerous position fly over the bar early in the 2nd half, Ukraine's pressure eventually paid off as they took the lead. Kryskiv's cross found Batahov, whose powerful header in the area forced the Iraqi keeper into a superb save, but Rubchynskyi was on hand to drill the rebound into the back of the net with a powerful left-footed shot. So Rubchynskyi scored to give Ukraine the lead.

However, just moments later, Iraq were awarded a penalty. The decision looked harsh against Ukraine, as Talovierov slightly pushed Hussein in the back, but Hussein dived as if he was shot. It was Hussein himself who stood up to take the penalty and he duly scored from the penalty to equalise for Iraq.

Iraq 1-1 Ukraine

Against the run of play, Jassim went on a solo run and scored with a shot from outside the area to give Iraq the lead. Poor defending from Ukraine there, but you can't take away the good effort from Jassim.

Iraq 2-1 Ukraine

10 hours ago, Azeem said:

Sports that don't treat Olympics as one of their prime competitions shouldn't be in it that means football, tennis

I think a lot of people have said that. It would be better to have futsal. But it's never gonna happen.  

Decent football game between Spain and Uzbekistan yesterday. 2.1 to Spain but Uzbekistan gave it a good go. I the second half of the handball game between netherlands and Angola. Also watched a bit of the 7s rugby. That's one of the best things about the Olympics. If you get bored of one sports you can just watch another one. 

13 hours ago, Azeem said:

Sports that don't treat Olympics as one of their prime competitions shouldn't be in it that means football, tennis

Now, since the extension, you can add golf to that enumeration. Also not convinced cycling rates the olympics over Tour de France or Giro d'Italia.

Edited by Rucksackfranzose

So Germany's women beat Australia 3-0. I didn't expect such a comfortable win. Could have been higher too. Jule Brand was outstanding today. 

9 hours ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Now, since the extension, you can add golf to that enumeration. Also not convinced cycling rates the olympics over Tour de France or Giro d'Italia.

*one of their prime. Agreed on golf but not on cycling since they have different modules some of them highly valued. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, 6666 said:

Why was the opening ceremony today when events have already taken place...?

Probably, because they don't wanted it to be poorly attended for taking place on a night midweek!

Edited by Rucksackfranzose

2 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Probably, because they don't wanted it to be mal attended for taking place on a night midweek!

Then start the events until then...

It screams "yeah these events don't really count".

28 minutes ago, 6666 said:

Why was the opening ceremony today when events have already taken place...?

It always done that way. As long as I can remember anyway. I guess they want the opening ceremony on a Friday night and it to finish on a Sunday. There isn't enough recovery time for some of the sports. 

Edited by Gunnersaurus

11 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Why the surprise, now? Has been the case at every single Olympic Games since London, the latest!

It's just a dumb way to do it in my opinion. From what I can see it's mostly been sports that probably shouldn't be at the Olympics anyway but if you're gonna have them then do it properly.

• Upvote 1