talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Everton reject Zidane in favour of Marco Silva

football forum

35 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

18th 😂😂 keep the made up statistics coming folks.

Either a very unfunny WUM or the biggest load of tripe I've ever seen from one of the best posters on this forum over the years.

Long live the King. 

While I can understand Everton fans and the owner may want a more 'attractive' style of play, why on God's green earth would they want to replace guaranteed stability and a platform to build from with Marco fucking Silva? 

Allardyce is the ultimate 7/10 manager - if you're going to replace him you want to do it with someone with pedigree. Of all the clubs who have turfed Sam out, only Crystal Palace have brought in anyone with a better track record (Hodgson), and look, they are the only ones to have built on what Allardyce left behind. 

Swapping stability for an unknown chancer just because he gets his defenders to tap the ball to each other is risky at best. Someone like Pellegrini, sure, I'd tip my hat, but it's such a painful step backwards to take on a man who has failed twice in his two jobs in England. 

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

18th 😂😂 keep the made up statistics coming folks.

Either a very unfunny WUM or the biggest load of tripe I've ever seen from one of the best posters on this forum over the years.

I read they were 18th from 2 sources. Do you have a source to say otherwise?

• Administrator
11 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I read they were 18th from 2 sources. Do you have a source to say otherwise?

well, yeah.

The Premier League site. After their 4-0 win over West Ham on 29th October, 2017, Everton were 13th.

Allardyce got appointed the day after. 

The only time they were 18th was when Unsworth was sacked around that time at the end of October (and after losing against Utd in Sept)

1 hour ago, Stan said:

well, yeah.

The Premier League site. After their 4-0 win over West Ham on 29th October, 2017, Everton were 13th.

The only time they were 18th was when Unsworth was sacked around that time at the end of October (and after losing against Utd in Sept)

Ah OK. Sky sports said they were 18th when koeman was sacked so I misread it. I still don't think has done a bad job though

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, StefBWFC said:

Long live the King. 

While I can understand Everton fans and the owner may want a more 'attractive' style of play, why on God's green earth would they want to replace guaranteed stability and a platform to build from with Marco fucking Silva? 

Allardyce is the ultimate 7/10 manager - if you're going to replace him you want to do it with someone with pedigree. Of all the clubs who have turfed Sam out, only Crystal Palace have brought in anyone with a better track record (Hodgson), and look, they are the only ones to have built on what Allardyce left behind. 

Swapping stability for an unknown chancer just because he gets his defenders to tap the ball to each other is risky at best. Someone like Pellegrini, sure, I'd tip my hat, but it's such a painful step backwards to take on a man who has failed twice in his two jobs in England. 

I'm far from sold on Silva but you're being a bit harsh there. He showed some potential in both of those roles even if he was far from the complete package that some people seem to hold him up as.

Our club have stated an ambition to challenge the top six. Allardyce will never, ever do that with us so he's not the man to take us forward. He might be guaranteed not to take us backward but do you seriously want Everton fans to just accept our current position of finishing 7th and winning no trophies in 20 years? What's the actual point in existing in that case? I'm more than ready for the usual suspects ready to pounce out of the bushes with their cries of "OMFG Everton fans are so deluded worse than West Ham roflmao" so before I have to deal with that old gem as well, I'll clarify: there's a difference between thinking your club has a god given right to success and that it should just be expected (Not what I'm saying) and just wanting to see your club make some effort to try and achieve something (what I'm actually saying).

Keeping Allardyce is the absolute definition of accepting mediocrity and not having the backbone to take risks, and as someone who was 2 years old last time my side won a trophy, and my highlights as a football fan being a semi final penalty shootout win over Man Utd in the FA Cup and an unlikely 4th placed finish in the league, I've had my fill of "just doing alright" and finishing 7th, 8th, 6th, 11th, 9th while getting knocked out of cups by Chelsea and Man City every year.

In this time I've watched Liverpool, Chelsea, Man Utd fans celebrate European cup wins, I've seen Arsenal and Man City fans celebrating titles and cup success, I've seen Spurs fans enjoy watching their team take on and beat Real Madrid and Juventus in the Champions League having been in the same position as us for most of my life, I've seen Leicester fans celebrate a title win and a run to the Champions League latter stages, I've seen fans of fucking Swansea, Portsmouth and Wigan celebrate FA Cup wins. Please do forgive me for not falling to my knees in ecstasy when Sam Allardyce takes us from 13th to 8th playing utterly dour football and alienating myself and thousands of other fans from the club in the process.

Accepting the reliable 7/10 approach has been specifically what has led to our horrific drought at Everton and that's why I'm more than happy for us to dump off Mr Reliable in exchange for a manager with at least some chance of making us actually achieve something. Even if there's a risk that we 'do a Villa' and end up worse off (I'll be amazed if we actually ever go down but never say never) I'd much rather we actually tried to achieve something and failed miserably than just bob around in 7th place getting laughed at for another 20 years.

Hopefully this is enough of a rant for you to see my point of view. I do appreciate now from your follow up post that you're being consciously a bit biased towards the ex-Bolton manager. To be fair to him he did his job for us this season which is more than can be said for the previous two permanent managers, most of the current players, and several members of the board.

1 hour ago, Stan said:

well, yeah.

Thanks, saves me some trouble.

3 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Ah OK. Sky sports said they were 18th when koeman was sacked so I misread it. I still don't think has done a bad job though

He didn't do a bad job for this season but he also showed us all of the reasons why he's not the man to take us forward. Put it this way, would you want him at Arsenal based on the job he did for us this season? No? Then why would we want him if our stated ambition, whether it turns out to be realistic or not, is to challenge the likes of yourselves?

2 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

I'm far from sold on Silva but you're being a bit harsh there. He showed some potential in both of those roles even if he was far from the complete package that some people seem to hold him up as.

Our club have stated an ambition to challenge the top six. Allardyce will never, ever do that with us so he's not the man to take us forward. He might be guaranteed not to take us backward but do you seriously want Everton fans to just accept our current position of finishing 7th and winning no trophies in 20 years? What's the actual point in existing in that case? I'm more than ready for the usual suspects ready to pounce out of the bushes with their cries of "OMFG Everton fans are so deluded worse than West Ham roflmao" so before I have to deal with that old gem as well, I'll clarify: there's a difference between thinking your club has a god given right to success and that it should just be expected (Not what I'm saying) and just wanting to see your club make some effort to try and achieve something (what I'm actually saying).

Keeping Allardyce is the absolute definition of accepting mediocrity and not having the backbone to take risks, and as someone who was 2 years old last time my side won a trophy, and my highlights as a football fan being a semi final penalty shootout win over Man Utd in the FA Cup and an unlikely 4th placed finish in the league, I've had my fill of "just doing alright" and finishing 7th, 8th, 6th, 11th, 9th while getting knocked out of cups by Chelsea and Man City every year.

In this time I've watched Liverpool, Chelsea, Man Utd fans celebrate European cup wins, I've seen Arsenal and Man City fans celebrating titles and cup success, I've seen Spurs fans enjoy watching their team take on and beat Real Madrid and Juventus in the Champions League having been in the same position as us for most of my life, I've seen Leicester fans celebrate a title win and a run to the Champions League latter stages, I've seen fans of fucking Swansea, Portsmouth and Wigan celebrate FA Cup wins. Please do forgive me for not falling to my knees in ecstasy when Sam Allardyce takes us from 13th to 8th playing utterly dour football and alienating myself and thousands of other fans from the club in the process.

Accepting the reliable 7/10 approach has been specifically what has led to our horrific drought at Everton and that's why I'm more than happy for us to dump off Mr Reliable in exchange for a manager with at least some chance of making us actually achieve something. Even if there's a risk that we 'do a Villa' and end up worse off (I'll be amazed if we actually ever go down but never say never) I'd much rather we actually tried to achieve something and failed miserably than just bob around in 7th place getting laughed at for another 20 years.

Hopefully this is enough of a rant for you to see my point of view. I do appreciate now from your follow up post that you're being consciously a bit biased towards the ex-Bolton manager. To be fair to him he did his job for us this season which is more than can be said for the previous two permanent managers, most of the current players, and several members of the board.

Thanks, saves me some trouble.

He didn't do a bad job for this season but he also showed us all of the reasons why he's not the man to take us forward. Put it this way, would you want him at Arsenal based on the job he did for us this season? No? Then why would we want him if our stated ambition, whether it turns out to be realistic or not, is to challenge the likes of yourselves?

To be fair no I wouldn't. Although my previous comment was based in thinking Everton were 18th when hr took over. I do think you could challenge for the top 6 under him though.

3 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

I can fully appreciate that point of view, sure, there's absolutely no point in watching if you can't dream to do more. And yep, Allardyce is the ultimate in pulling clubs out of the shit and doing no more. I just tire of the constant barrage of shit he gets simply because he plays percentage football - especially when you look at the long, long list of managers who have found the premier league to be near-impossible. 

And alas, yes, I was mildly insomniac last night and started on a WUM, realised I fucking love Allardyce (almost wholly because he effortlessly winds everyone else up!!), then tried to cobble together a semi-coherent point out of it. Guilty.

25 minutes ago, StefBWFC said:

I can fully appreciate that point of view, sure, there's absolutely no point in watching if you can't dream to do more. And yep, Allardyce is the ultimate in pulling clubs out of the shit and doing no more. I just tire of the constant barrage of shit he gets simply because he plays percentage football - especially when you look at the long, long list of managers who have found the premier league to be near-impossible. 

And alas, yes, I was mildly insomniac last night and started on a WUM, realised I fucking love Allardyce (almost wholly because he effortlessly winds everyone else up!!), then tried to cobble together a semi-coherent point out of it. Guilty.

I liked the post even though I disagreed with it because it was funny and informative. I mean, why wouldn't a Bolton fan fucking love Fat Sam? Also at Bolton, at the end of his time with them, I think he had them playing football that was not totally shite to watch. It might be the only time ever in his career he's done it, but I definitely have that memory so it's happened at least once. It might have just been a match or two though lol, but who knows... other than you because you've watched more football under him.

And who came in after him? Sammy Lee and Gary fucking Megson and then I don't even know what else happened, but it obviously didn't work out great. So I think you've got good reason to love him & you can give a different perspective to him as a manager than say an Everton or Newcastle fan.

I think it's pretty humiliating what they made him go through at Everton with that fan survey and having to defend himself and his record as a manager to the media. He was appointed because the Everton board got scared and they wanted to guarantee safety this season & then they had that survey so they could blame it on public pressure when they sacked him. I don't particularly like Fat Sam at all, but that is pretty humiliating for anybody to have to go through.

3 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I liked the post even though I disagreed with it because it was funny and informative. I mean, why wouldn't a Bolton fan fucking love Fat Sam? Also at Bolton, at the end of his time with them, I think he had them playing football that was not totally shite to watch. It might be the only time ever in his career he's done it, but I definitely have that memory so it's happened at least once. It might have just been a match or two though lol, but who knows... other than you because you've watched more football under him.

And who came in after him? Sammy Lee and Gary fucking Megson and then I don't even know what else happened, but it obviously didn't work out great. So I think you've got good reason to love him & you can give a different perspective to him as a manager than say an Everton or Newcastle fan.

I think it's pretty humiliating what they made him go through at Everton with that fan survey and having to defend himself and his record as a manager to the media. He was appointed because the Everton board got scared and they wanted to guarantee safety this season & then they had that survey so they could blame it on public pressure when they sacked him. I don't particularly like Fat Sam at all, but that is pretty humiliating for anybody to have to go through.

Genuinely wouldn't mind a few thousand angry scousers calling me names for a £6m payoff... I don't think the man could be less bothered!! He leaves with his pride and reputation still intact, ready to swoop in for the next PL chairman to have a wobble after a slow start to next season. He's blown his chance to manage any club at the highest level since the England fiasco, so why not act as a six month emergency appointment every year for stupid money?

You're right though, that survey was a very disappointing and questionable decision to make by the club. 

• Administrator
13 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

I think we can all agree that Watford are one of the saltiest clubs around.

did Everton tap up Silva though?

Just because Watford did it to Hull, doesn't make it right?

• 2 weeks later...

Don't see this ending well, has a big CV for such a small managerial career and after the mess he left Watford in after being denied the Everton move I'd be weary if I were an Everton fan. Also not proven to get any more results than Allardyce for example but given his last records I'd say he's got a good chance.

• Subscriber

I am wary of this one and there's every chance he gets worse results than Allardyce. However Sam gave us pretty much 0% chance of winning a trophy or getting close to the top six. Even if you want to argue that it's only because he's such a wildcard, Silva has a better chance than that of achieving something like that with us, even if he also has a greater chance of taking us backward than Sam, but like I've said in earlier posts, it's worth the risk just for there to be some chance of seeing my club actually do something.

Archived