talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Everton reject Zidane in favour of Marco Silva

football forum

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Kitchen Sales said:

This turned sour pretty quick. If you sack him then get ready for the media desperately trying to take down your next appointment. 

I think the gig is up for Allardyce. I think it also really is time to stop employing this tried and failing strata of British managers

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

The thing is, Allardyce himself isn't the problem. In fact he's actually the least to blame for the shower of shite this season has been.

Where we find ourselves now dates back to the loss of David Moyes. A totally limited manager who had bad patches with us but he never allowed the club to go rotten like this. In came Martinez and down came the standards. The extra freedom he brought to the attacking side improved us for a season but then as the squad became his over time we moved into a downward spiral. 

Say what you will about Moyes but when he signed a player you knew 9 times out of 10 they'd have a work ethic, a backbone and something to prove, it's very hard to think of exceptions like Drenthe and Kroldrup. I'd say signings like Walcott and maybe Mangala are a healthy step back in the right direction but only time will tell.

Where we started going wrong though was with signings like Samuel Eto'o who reportedly poisoned the dressing room, Deulofeu who had bags of talent but couldn't last 90 minutes or string three performances together. Lukaku was quality but also happy to be lazy too. I'm not saying it was a bad thing to sign these players as they were exciting but the sub par attitude starts creeping in. Fast forward through a few Koeman/Walsh transfer windows and we've now got Schneiderlin, Keane and Williams jogging around half arsed in the spine of the team where you'd previously have had Barry, Jagielka, Distin chucking their bodies on the line to keep a clean sheet. Going forward you've got Bolasie who can't make a pass or cross without trying to do FIFA skills first then smiling at the crowd when it doesn't work and he loses the ball.

In results terms maybe we are no better than Stoke and West Brom but to say that we shouldn't expect more is laughable because firstly Everton have higher standards than those sides and always have, and secondly our players have the talent at their disposal to do much better than their counterparts at those clubs. They just don't have the desire to show it.

• Subscriber
8 minutes ago, Danny said:

@RandoEFC you shouldn't expect more with Allardyce.

Not saying I do. I wouldn't expect many people to get this squad performing much better because they're a pack of spineless bastards. 

He needs to be gone in August and his team selections and tactics have been far from perfect but the situation isn't really his fault.

9 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Not saying I do. I wouldn't expect many people to get this squad performing much better because they're a pack of spineless bastards. 

He needs to be gone in August and his team selections and tactics have been far from perfect but the situation isn't really his fault.

Realistically you should be aiming to replicate Spurs but they're a bigger club with a bigger pull these days so you shouldn't be on their level, but that should be the plan to cause problems amongst the top 4.

Agree you need to get rid of Allardyce, if you have any other ambitions than midtable you need to get rid.

• Subscriber

I do think they will improve this season under Allardyce but they look some way off. If you appointed him to keep you up then it was pretty short-sighted, and in all honesty, I think Unsworth could've probably done it. Not that it was going particularly well under him but you really don't have to be any good to stay up this year. At least five of Swansea, West Brom, Huddersfield, Newcastle, Brighton, Watford, Southampton and Stoke will survive this season, and that's ignoring Crystal Palace who lost their opening 7, Bournemouth, the worst Everton team I can remember and West Ham. It's truly a terrible bottom half. Anyone who goes down this year shouldn't be allowed back for 3 years.

I think Everton panicked a bit with Allardyce. We got stick for appointing Puel but I know who of the two I'd rather have.

What concerns me about Everton is how regularly you get slaughtered in games like Saturday. Everton should be a real banana skin for teams like Arsenal but I doubt they'll have an easier six points all season - rinse and repeat for Man Utd. This has gone on a while as well. I saw a picture with Everton's record away at the top six in the last seven years and it's something like 17 points in 44 games. It's embarrassing for a club who wants to get into Europe.

Allardyce was a necessity in the situation we were in. Koeman had lost the players and we were going down, Unsworth wasn't ready. 

We had to panic because after chasing Silva for weeks we had to stop the rot (and he did at first). 

He won't see the first game of next season.  

Allardyce gets to much stick for me personally. I think if you look at his record he has generally made teams better. There are a few exceptions but generally he has improved clubs

• Subscriber
11 hours ago, HK85 said:

Allardyce was a necessity in the situation we were in. Koeman had lost the players and we were going down, Unsworth wasn't ready. 

We had to panic because after chasing Silva for weeks we had to stop the rot (and he did at first). 

He won't see the first game of next season.  

I really don't think you'd have gone down under Unsworth. Weren't you already about 14th when Allardyce took over? Not saying Allardyce isn't an upgrade but you could've probably kept Unsworth for the year and held out for someone better than Allardyce from next season. You really don't have to be any good to survive this year.

4 hours ago, Dan said:

I really don't think you'd have gone down under Unsworth. Weren't you already about 14th when Allardyce took over? Not saying Allardyce isn't an upgrade but you could've probably kept Unsworth for the year and held out for someone better than Allardyce from next season. You really don't have to be any good to survive this year.

We were 13th when Allardyce took his first game and had lost 4-1 to Southampton, 5-1 to Atalanta, 3-0 to Lyon, 2-0 at Leicester when it should have been more. Aside from the West Ham, the games we did "well" in were the result of penalties. The comeback against Watford and Niasse's dive against Palace. 

There's no way we'd have been 10th with Unsworth now. For some reason the players didn't do enough for him. Allardyce has doubled our points this season. 

• Administrator

I know Evertonians will disagree but I don’t believe you can look beyond Allardyce for the recent appalling showings. Tactical ineptitude  against Arsenal, after playing both Sigurdsson and Rooney in the game before, plays neither and goes for pace on the flanks and an additional centreback. The central midfield pair of Gueye and Schneiderlin were abysmal. Ashley Williams was atrocious. Again. Where Mangala and Keane wanted to push higher to play offside, Williams wanted to sit deep because he’s simply got no pace. He looks like he plays in slow motion. Allardyce then comes out and slates his team absolving himself of any responsibility. 

No control in midfield, a right sided fullback clearly uncomfortable at left back, no clear approach to how the team should play and ignoring the superb youth players available. What Everton needs is someone a little braver than Fat Sam. Because if they did, class youngsters such as Lookman wouldn’t be out on loan 

49 minutes ago, Batard said:

I know Evertonians will disagree but I don’t believe you can look beyond Allardyce for the recent appalling showings. Tactical ineptitude  against Arsenal, after playing both Sigurdsson and Rooney in the game before, plays neither and goes for pace on the flanks and an additional centreback. The central midfield pair of Gueye and Schneiderlin were abysmal. Ashley Williams was atrocious. Again. Where Mangala and Keane wanted to push higher to play offside, Williams wanted to sit deep because he’s simply got no pace. He looks like he plays in slow motion. Allardyce then comes out and slates his team absolving himself of any responsibility. 

No control in midfield, a right sided fullback clearly uncomfortable at left back, no clear approach to how the team should play and ignoring the superb youth players available. What Everton needs is someone a little braver than Fat Sam. Because if they did, class youngsters such as Lookman wouldn’t be out on loan 

Why?

• Subscriber
On 06/02/2018 at 21:15, Dr. Gonzo said:

It's fucking mental they let Lookman go.

But Bolasie cost 30 million and Walcott cost 20 million which is definitely a reason why Lookman isn't needed. Apparently.

I fucking hate us.

• 2 weeks later...

Louis Van Gaal will be the next manager!  its in the Dutch news that Van Gaal has been offered a high profile job that he cannot refuse, he was a pundit afor the Bayern v Real Madrid game when he announced this, he also has worked with Brands in the past who is coming next season as Director of football.  

https://www.telegraaf.nl/sport/1964718/van-gaal-aanbieding-die-ik-niet-kan-weigeren

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, VanPaddy said:

Louis Van Gaal will be the next manager!  its in the Dutch news that Van Gaal has been offered a high profile job that he cannot refuse, he also has worked with Brands in the past who is coming next season as Director of football.  

Can't decide if this is West Brom or Arsenal.

I know Van Gaal's Manchester United were seen as dull, and largely they were but he's still a good manager, the rest of his career is very impressive. I think he tried to implement a style which just did not fit at Manchester United, Arsenal may be more suited? I can't see Arsenal going for someone of a similar age to Wenger though. It would be a coup for Everton but again, would he have the players to suit his style?

2 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

The van Gaal rumours have been swirling for a while and I think they have legs. He's best mates with our new DoF where they worked at either PSV or AZ (or both). 

Van Gaal has always said that he wants to manage again in England due to his United sacking, this would give him that chance.

At AZ he was under Brands.    

Van Gaal style is a possession based game, its probably more suited in Holland and Spain, but he is great when working with Youth he will give them the confidence and trust as you saw at Man Utd, those same players are going backwards under Mourinho. 

• The title was changed to Allardyce Sacked; Silva Tipped to Take Over

Archived