talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Premier League 2024/25 - Gameweek 4 - 14-15th September, 2024

• Subscriber

I still think the results will come soon. Emotionally you'd obviously not rather go through the whole 2-0 lead to lose thing but frankly it's more encouraging than the likes of the 4-0 hammering we served up at Spurs.

We need O'Brien or preferably Branthwaite to replace Keane at centre back and we need Patterson back as well. The lack of recovery pace in our back line is glaring.

Hopefully Lindstrom can challenge Harrison for his place in the team as well because Harrison doesn't offer enough in attack and with two goals coming from Digne today he hasn't done his job defensively either.

The rest of them, for what they are, aren't far off it.

The Villa - Everton match is an odd one to make sense of. Villa were up to their standard Unai era start of attacking the opening 15 minutes like many sides do in the final 15. But, Everton got through it & got themselves 0-2 up. Against the run of play. But in the classic style of a side feeling their best chance is to absorb & counter.

And then they hit the snag many sides do in that situation.

Villa did make the comeback, against a side who, in my opinion, can only really be criticised for not being in any position to sit on the lead higher up the pitch. How much of that is on Everton's transfer activities, Dyche's tactics, or what was opposing them, I'm not really sure. But even during Villa's comeback, Everton were creating chances. On another day it's 4-4 or something just as crazy.

Overall it's probably just a good advert for the league. Everton do have plenty about them for a side pointless after 4 games. While Villa are a level or 2 better than many will give them credit for.

One thing I am sure of is that Duran has the potential to be remembered as one of the big names of his generation.

Nice work by Nkunku with the assist from Sancho.. just squeeked the win.. 

Overall we were poor, we still don't force the issue when attacking, too much passing back and sideways takes all the momentum out of our play and gives the opposition chance to get back in numbers and defend.. 

• Subscriber

Infuriating. I thought we did better than expected through a lot of that game but what the fuck is the point if we're just going to set fire to points like that?

Cooper's instincts are just too negative and he'll never shake it. He said after Forest and a year off that he'd sat down with analysts and whatnot about his shortcomings but this is just exactly the same bloke. I don't think you can reteach things that are natural instinct. We started with too negative a side, which, credit, actually got 2 goals in front, but when seeing it out we retreat even further. We started the game with an XI we should probably finish with and then finished the game with one that should be consigned to the nearest bin. For Coady to do that as well - absolutely ridiculous and this is an experienced centre half as well, I could forgive perhaps Okoli but how can an experienced centre half do that?

I think it's a massive two dropped. Palace really are just the same old Palace after all which is a shame for them after a very promising last few months. I'll be very surprised if they finish above 11th.

Cooper won't win six Premier League games as Leicester manager.

• Subscriber
9 hours ago, Stan said:

Okay, so we weren't as bad as expected, but we're simply not going to stay up with such a defensively-minded manager.

Starting line-up had little creativity, and arguably our 2 goals came from mistakes from Palace (although Ndidi did well winning the ball high and playing in Vardy).

Then the in-game management in 2nd half was diabolical. When you're backs are against the wall, you want a mix of defensive solidity and an outlet to break on, hold up the ball or nullify pressure.

What Cooper did was bring on Choudhury for Ndidi (replacing an 'attacking' midfielder with a defensive one). Took off Ayew for Coady. It just brings on pressure when you end up having too many defenders on the pitch so when you clear the ball, it just comes straight back.

The equaliser was just purely so inevitable it actually hurts that we all knew it was coming, let alone that we didn't win the game from being 2-0 up.

Cooper won't be good enough for us. We'll fail because of him and his decisions. 

Choudhury on is absolutely mental. Like complete footballing terrorism. It's one thing having Ndidi there but at least he's actually 'sometimes' dont some good going forward. You have genuine attacking midfield options (which he made a point of getting) now. It's his instincts. Park the bus and then park it somehow even further against all odds. I've seen enough already from Cooper. There's some merit in what he's doing and our results haven't been a catastrophe on an individual basis but it's the collective lack of wins that is going to nail us. I'll be very surprised if he hits 40 points. He's not good enough. He was very lucky at Forest.

I think a draw was the fair result on the balance of play. We created chances, we got punished by a horrendous error, we created chances, we got punished by another horrendous error, we created more chances and got back in the game.

I did smile when Jordan Ayew went down to win Leicester a free kick and our fans went berserk. We were the beneficiaries of his smart brain for six years.

• Subscriber
7 hours ago, Dave said:

I think a draw was the fair result on the balance of play. We created chances, we got punished by a horrendous error, we created chances, we got punished by another horrendous error, we created more chances and got back in the game.

I did smile when Jordan Ayew went down to win Leicester a free kick and our fans went berserk. We were the beneficiaries of his smart brain for six years.

I do low key quite like Ayew. I can see what you mean. His miss in the first half is the flip side of him though, bloke's never going to score goals for an attacker. He's someone I wish we could bring on rather than have to start.

He's become almost like an instant cult hero. I think due to how heavily the signing was criticised at the time the fans have responded in the right way on him afterwards, have been fully behind him and you can definitely see some ability / intelligence. He looks the better signing out of him and Reid so far.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber

That's actually really bad for Spurs. That's 52 points over a whole season which gets you 9th, 10th and 8th over the last three seasons. It's a much bigger sample than the opening 10 games of last season.

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Dan said:

That's actually really bad for Spurs. That's 52 points over a whole season which gets you 9th, 10th and 8th over the last three seasons. It's a much bigger sample than the opening 10 games of last season.

Very bad. Didn't realise it was that poor. 

Very bad start to the season from Wolves. They have had to sell, but certainly seem a distance off Brighton, who their fans would surely expect to be realistically competing with.

Postecoglu had an amazing start. But, it was bordering on comically bad when they lost all games possible Vs top half sides in last season's run in. And that same form is continuing. If it doesn't turn around soon, I imagine he'll be under real pressure.