• Sign up free today!

    Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

Sign in to follow this  
football forum

Spurs New Stadium - New White Hart Lane

Recommended Posts

I love stadiums. Weird passion of mine. Get all excited whenever I go places and I see one xD 

Can't wait to see what Spurs' new one is going to look like when it's finished and not just CGI pictures/videos.

Can hardly tell where the old stadium was now. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New stadiums are probably the worse thing wrong with football.  I prefer going to old stadiums, it smells of football, it has real history not all this hospitality bull shit etc.    

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unfortunately the caviar club types are what make the world go round when it comes to stadiums.

You can only hope it'll be intimidating and seem unique.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, VanPaddy said:

New stadiums are probably the worse thing wrong with football.  I prefer going to old stadiums, it smells of football, it has real history not all this hospitality bull shit etc.    

Given the corruption that goes on throughout football at all levels I don't think new stadiums is going to be very high on the list. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't see how new stadiums are all that bad? Clubs who are ambitious, will explore the possibility of increasing revenue, to increase their chances to grow on the pitch too. Spurs couldn't have stayed in a small stadium if they want to be up there are the top. 

The only thing I don't like is the lack of individuality to them, it's boring that they are all just bowls.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, FOYM said:

I don't see how new stadiums are all that bad? Clubs who are ambitious, will explore the possibility of increasing revenue, to increase their chances to grow on the pitch too. Spurs couldn't have stayed in a small stadium if they want to be up there are the top. 

The only thing I don't like is the lack of individuality to them, it's boring that they are all just bowls.

this new Spurs one is far from that.

If you're talking about stadiums like ours, Southampton, Middlesbrough etc then you're right!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

Given the corruption that goes on throughout football at all levels I don't think new stadiums is going to be very high on the list. 

Nothing to do with corruption,  new stadiums destroy atmosphere and all they do is fill the pockets of the owners. Tottenham will go the same way as Arsenal. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, VanPaddy said:

Nothing to do with corruption,  new stadiums destroy atmosphere and all they do is fill the pockets of the owners. Tottenham will go the same way as Arsenal. 

Totally agree!

Old stadiums should be refurbished into the modern era and not rebuilt from scratch and completely different to the tradition the fans were brought up on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, VanPaddy said:

Nothing to do with corruption,  new stadiums destroy atmosphere and all they do is fill the pockets of the owners. Tottenham will go the same way as Arsenal. 

O.o

I didn't say it had anything to do with corruption.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, VanPaddy said:

Nothing to do with corruption,  new stadiums destroy atmosphere and all they do is fill the pockets of the owners. Tottenham will go the same way as Arsenal. 

Has anything been lost from the old De Meer Stadion and the new Ajax Arena?

demeer3.jpg

cd1b76f18b524b323f6a90e358c5ac70--world-

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fans spend too long moaning about how the atmosphere has died at their new ground instead of creating an atmosphere. 

 

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, VanPaddy said:

Nothing to do with corruption,  new stadiums destroy atmosphere and all they do is fill the pockets of the owners. Tottenham will go the same way as Arsenal. 

That speaks more for the fans of Arsenal than the merits of a new stadium. Look at Juventus, that stadium has been a massive plus to the club. The likes of Galatasaray or Besiktas haven't lost any of their atmosphere, but perhaps have made it better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SirBalon said:

Has anything been lost from the old De Meer Stadion and the new Ajax Arena?

demeer3.jpg

cd1b76f18b524b323f6a90e358c5ac70--world-

Yes the Atmosphere, also there is a moat that goes around the stadium so you are further away from the pitch, plus there are concerts etc there, it does not feel like a football stadium,  many people like Cruijff, Van Gaal etc have said similar things.  Also it has lost its history.   Its just tradition some people like the new stadiums but I prefer the old type grounds. 

Edited by VanPaddy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

That speaks more for the fans of Arsenal than the merits of a new stadium. Look at Juventus, that stadium has been a massive plus to the club. The likes of Galatasaray or Besiktas haven't lost any of their atmosphere, but perhaps have made it better.

Yea but the history is lost,  its a hard thing to discribe, but I did a tour of the new Wembley, they were mentioning about the history but it was all to do with the old stadium, the new Wembley just felt like being in any stadium, just no feel of anything apart from being a big steel structure. The feeling  what you get going through a place which has been around for years and you know what has happened there, the feel you are standing in the place and getting goose bumps like walking through the old marble hall at Highbury or in the Nou Camp.    I agree it has improved some teams but that only works in certain countries, in England new stadiums do kill the atmosphere as they cater for different class of people, Chelsea, Tottenham and Arsenal will all go the same way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, VanPaddy said:

Yes the Atmosphere, also there is a moat that goes around the stadium so you are further away from the pitch, plus there are concerts etc there, it does not feel like a football stadium,  many people like Cruijff, Van Gaal etc have said similar things.  Also it has lost its history.   Its just tradition some people like the new stadiums but I prefer the old type grounds. 

I love both kinds. The history and old-school feel of the traditional grounds as well as the aesthetics and engineering and sheer amazement at the make up of some new stadiums. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In terms of the actual build of a stadium people need to realise they were a product of their times. Some grounds are built on the cheap now so they do look soulless and have nothing to them. But some stadiums aren't.

I went to the AAMI park which is a football stadium in Melbourne which is modern and also a good stadium that creates a good atmosphere 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/23/2017 at 6:31 PM, VanPaddy said:

I agree it has improved some teams but that only works in certain countries, in England new stadiums do kill the atmosphere as they cater for different class of people, Chelsea, Tottenham and Arsenal will all go the same way. 

Chelsea are staying at Stamford Bridge and are just redeveloping it, last I heard, unlike the latter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/23/2017 at 6:31 PM, VanPaddy said:

Yea but the history is lost,  its a hard thing to discribe, but I did a tour of the new Wembley, they were mentioning about the history but it was all to do with the old stadium, the new Wembley just felt like being in any stadium, just no feel of anything apart from being a big steel structure. The feeling  what you get going through a place which has been around for years and you know what has happened there, the feel you are standing in the place and getting goose bumps like walking through the old marble hall at Highbury or in the Nou Camp.    I agree it has improved some teams but that only works in certain countries, in England new stadiums do kill the atmosphere as they cater for different class of people, Chelsea, Tottenham and Arsenal will all go the same way. 

At one time all stadium were new and had no history, it's a very simplistic way of looking at it I'll admit, so you have to use that blank canvas!

Think about it, the Camp Nou has only been around for 60 years! Joan Gamper never ever saw a match in it. At some stage, people must have thought that leaving the Camp de Les Corts for this Camp Nou was losing tradition and the new ground had no history. Look at it now, it's an example of a historic stadium. Although, it's been affected as much as any when it comes to commercialization. The difference between the stadium and its surroundings from the first time I visited in 2004 and my last visit in 2016 is remarkable. It's now fully built to be a cash cow for the club with, at the time, Qatar Airways splashed all over the stadium's exterior. It's not really a problem with new stadiums, it's more a problem with all stadiums having something special taken from them. I'll admit, I was awestruck the first time I saw it. Last year, it was more a case of being slightly disappointed by what it had become.

I'll admit, I'll be gutted when Aberdeen move stadium and I'll lose the routine I've been doing for years (in slightly different forms as I've grown and moved to different areas) but there's something inspiring about having something brand new built. A chance to have a clean slate, create something and make history.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

At one time all stadium were new and had no history, it's a very simplistic way of looking at it I'll admit, so you have to use that blank canvas!

Think about it, the Camp Nou has only been around for 60 years! Joan Gamper never ever saw a match in it. At some stage, people must have thought that leaving the Camp de Les Corts for this Camp Nou was losing tradition and the new ground had no history. Look at it now, it's an example of a historic stadium. Although, it's been affected as much as any when it comes to commercialization. The difference between the stadium and its surroundings from the first time I visited in 2004 and my last visit in 2016 is remarkable. It's now fully built to be a cash cow for the club with, at the time, Qatar Airways splashed all over the stadium's exterior. It's not really a problem with new stadiums, it's more a problem with all stadiums having something special taken from them. I'll admit, I was awestruck the first time I saw it. Last year, it was more a case of being slightly disappointed by what it had become.

I'll admit, I'll be gutted when Aberdeen move stadium and I'll lose the routine I've been doing for years (in slightly different forms as I've grown and moved to different areas) but there's something inspiring about having something brand new built. A chance to have a clean slate, create something and make history.

Very good post indeed and very difficult to argue with. As for the publicity used in the Camp Nou, well that's unfortunately the way clubs make money these days. Qatar Airways is now no longer plastered all around the ground and instead it's a combination of various sponsors plus the main Japanese one, Rakuten. 

But from and Arsenal perspective for example... I grew up in and around the old Highbury and the new Ashburton Grove site is not much further away from me to be honest. But blame it on what you will, The Emirates is not as beautiful as the old Highbury Stadium and its Art Deco... The atmosphere is also nowhere near what was created at the old ground. 

Many Spurs fans will recite these words with their own names associated to their club in years to come and those that were fortunate enough to have lived the old White Hart Lane, won't forget it in a dismissive manner relating to betterment I my view. 

Still, your post was brilliant. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Very good post indeed and very difficult to argue with. As for the publicity used in the Camp Nou, well that's unfortunately the way clubs make money these days. Qatar Airways is now no longer plastered all around the ground and instead it's a combination of various sponsors plus the main Japanese one, Rakuten. 

But from and Arsenal perspective for example... I grew up in and around the old Highbury and the new Ashburton Grove site is not much further away from me to be honest. But blame it on what you will, The Emirates is not as beautiful as the old Highbury Stadium and its Art Deco... The atmosphere is also nowhere near what was created at the old ground. 

Many Spurs fans will recite these words with their own names associated to their club in years to come and those that were fortunate enough to have lived the old White Hart Lane, won't forget it in a dismissive manner relating to betterment I my view. 

Still, your post was brilliant. 

I think part of the move to a new stadium needs to be co-ordinated better by the clubs, as well as the design of a stadium to enhance the atmosphere. When you have a stadium that's been around for years, people know what 'type' of supporters are in each area of the stadium. At Aberdeen, typically families sit in the Merkland End, grumpy old supporters sit in the Main Stand, and those who create an atmosphere will sit in the South Stand. If a new stadium is built, the club will need to probably designate areas in the new stadium were they feel these supporters will congregate. This will probably be seen as 'laughable' by other clubs supporters on social media, but it's probably needed.

I don't know how they did this at Arsenal or even if they did it. But not handled correctly and you'll have these key supporters spread thinly throughout the stadium, probably constantly being asked to sit down by grumpy old supporters. xD This is why I also hope that Aberdeen would seize on a new stadium as an opportunity to install safe standing areas, which would naturally show where these fans will be located.

The design of a stadium needs to ensure that fans are right on top of the pitch, which is also hugely hampered by regulations around 'run-off' areas etc. laid down by UEFA. Something that older stadiums get around with legacy status and can get away with. I love when opposition players have a decision to make when thinking about a long throw-in... "is it worth having to be right up against the home fans for this" ¬¬ If you don't make the opposition uneasy and they don't feel overawed, is there a home advantage? It's not hard to judge where they'd most feel comfortable.

arsenal-emirates-stadium.jpghighbury06.jpg?itok=TCdZrCTJ

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The problem with the Emirates is that it's a fantastic entertainment stadium, not so much for football 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ScoRoss said:

At one time all stadium were new and had no history, it's a very simplistic way of looking at it I'll admit, so you have to use that blank canvas!

Think about it, the Camp Nou has only been around for 60 years! Joan Gamper never ever saw a match in it. At some stage, people must have thought that leaving the Camp de Les Corts for this Camp Nou was losing tradition and the new ground had no history. Look at it now, it's an example of a historic stadium. Although, it's been affected as much as any when it comes to commercialization. The difference between the stadium and its surroundings from the first time I visited in 2004 and my last visit in 2016 is remarkable. It's now fully built to be a cash cow for the club with, at the time, Qatar Airways splashed all over the stadium's exterior. It's not really a problem with new stadiums, it's more a problem with all stadiums having something special taken from them. I'll admit, I was awestruck the first time I saw it. Last year, it was more a case of being slightly disappointed by what it had become.

I'll admit, I'll be gutted when Aberdeen move stadium and I'll lose the routine I've been doing for years (in slightly different forms as I've grown and moved to different areas) but there's something inspiring about having something brand new built. A chance to have a clean slate, create something and make history.

Yes defiantly about a clean slate but when you have had so much success in the old stadium and nothing in the new stadium it feels like a different team, I follow Arsenal and Ajax and they have gone in the same directions, since moving to bigger and better stadiums the whole focus of the club has changed, it just isnt the same as before.    Its a very sentimental thing, I just don't like how the new stadiums are been used as its not really to improve the team its just to make the owners more money, which I am against as fans you do not benefit from that if it isnt going back into the team.  Also regarding Stadium names also and looking to advertise on anything as well is again just pretty sickening.  

 

My Favourite stadium is I have to admit is de Kuip, i love the unique style of the ground, its an old stadium with a modernise look, very traditional and the sound it generates is second to none in world football, it is what I would call a pure football stadium,  But they are now thinking of replacing it and building this huge 90,000 stadium in Rotterdam in some huge city plan, again there is nothing wrong with de Kuip.

 

ARCH2O-OMA-Gains-Approval-for-Feyenoord-

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Danny said:

The problem with the Emirates is that it's a fantastic entertainment stadium, not so much for football 

The problem is the way it is been used, it caters for Yuppies plus the cash it generates is not being really invested into the team as it should do to match the cost of the tickets. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SirBalon said:

Very good post indeed and very difficult to argue with. As for the publicity used in the Camp Nou, well that's unfortunately the way clubs make money these days. Qatar Airways is now no longer plastered all around the ground and instead it's a combination of various sponsors plus the main Japanese one, Rakuten. 

But from and Arsenal perspective for example... I grew up in and around the old Highbury and the new Ashburton Grove site is not much further away from me to be honest. But blame it on what you will, The Emirates is not as beautiful as the old Highbury Stadium and its Art Deco... The atmosphere is also nowhere near what was created at the old ground. 

Many Spurs fans will recite these words with their own names associated to their club in years to come and those that were fortunate enough to have lived the old White Hart Lane, won't forget it in a dismissive manner relating to betterment I my view. 

Still, your post was brilliant. 

 

I think the older stadiums also were more hostile, West Ham is the best example they have lost that something from the ground moving into that horrible olympics stadium, its soulless. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DNA said:

Chelsea are staying at Stamford Bridge and are just redeveloping it, last I heard, unlike the latter.

Yea they are but it will just be built to attract more Yuppies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, VanPaddy said:

The problem is the way it is been used, it caters for Yuppies plus the cash it generates is not being really invested into the team as it should do to match the cost of the tickets. 

That's not a stadium issue though is it, that's a club issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Danny said:

That's not a stadium issue though is it, that's a club issue.

Yea but its because of the stadium, it happens alot with alot of the clubs these days who are not bankrolled by Arabs. 

But it be good for a club to keep its atmosphere just doesnt happen in England,  works in other countries better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Kitchen Sales said:

The 1980's called mate, they want their slang back :ph34r:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ6l9R18w1L7CdxOVqXLOL

Real photo of a fan in a new build in England.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Advertisement