• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Premier League Years: 1992-2004

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, Stan said:

Liverpool vs Newcastle 4-3 thriller 

Two of them, but the first one was better.

The 90s prem was the best. Maybe it's because I was a kid because I have nostalgia. Maybe it's because that's when Robbie Fowler played for us and he's my absolute favourite player ever. Either way, the 90s were a simpler and better time.

Nobody ever really talks about that Blackburn side. Boosted up by local millionaire and steel money, they had some brilliant players. I've heard anecdotes that they were progenitors of 'plastic' as people accused them of 'buying the league with a credit card [plastic]'. They were the model of the sugar daddy club, but time has forgiven them as it was a local legend that spent the dosh, not a foreign prince or mobster.

• Administrator
47 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Merlin Premier League Sticker Albums, what a time to be alive. 

Great shout with this. Most exciting time. 

Used to love getting stickers at the weekend and then going in to school to see if any of my mates had a shiny or a player I needed. 

On 10/01/2018 at 21:15, The Palace Fan said:

Newcastle had such a likeable squad back in the day. Like Faustino Apsrillia's massive smile and his cart wheels. What a great guy.

My earliest memories of Newcastle are of Andy Cole being an absolute beast for them.

In one season in particular(93-94 I think) when he was bashing the goals in. Something changed with Andy Cole when he went to Man United though. He did well and had some very important moments there, although the Andy Cole from Newcastle was never seen again and even as a kid of that age it stood out to me.

What a striker he was for Newcastle. C.Ronaldo scored a remarkable 42 in all comps at United(had he stayed, he would have bettered that easy mind as he was still young then), but Cole himself was able to bag about 40 in all comps in the season I was speaking of, yet he didn't play in European competitions that season. This just shows how much of a goal machine he was around that period.

The first season I got into football was 97/98. Bolton Wanderers had just completed a shiny new stadium coinciding with their promotion under Sam Allardyce, and I was being allowed to stay up late on Saturday nights to watch the goals go in. My main worry in the world at this point was biscuits or drawing or something as I was a kiddy.

First game of the season (at home to Everton), the ball gets bundled past the away keeper and past the line, but is missed by the assistant and the game finishes 0-0.

Skip forward to May, and Bolton go down on the last day, on goal difference alone. Who was the team that stayed up in Bolton's place? 

Fucking Everton.

6 year old me learned a lot about misery and injustice that day, and was almost definitely Ground Zero for moulding the bitter and vindictive twat you see before you in 2018.

Archived