talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Wednesday 11th April - Real Madrid (4) 1-3 (3) Juventus (QF 2nd Leg)

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, VanPaddy said:

The German league is vastly overrated, without the powerful force of Munich or huge car/energy drink companies bankrolling clubs it would be not very strong. The only thing what The Bundesliga has got going for it, alot of the stadiums are big and modern, there are restrictions in place to stop clubs getting into debt.  

In that department, it pisses all over Serie A, but car sponsors, big stadiums, financially strong clubs and crowds don't make a league good. Organized yes, but a league standard isn't defined by those things, the football played is the most important part.

I'm glad you said this as its such a controversial opinion to say Serie A is better than the Bundesliga and it really shouldn't be because its not controversial at all when you look at the grand scheme of things.

1 minute ago, VanPaddy said:

Munich in 2013 against Dortmund. 

Exactly, and since then 4 different Italian clubs have made the semi-finals of the UCL/Europa and 2 have reached the final. Another chance of it happening this year too.

Each to their own but its hardly controversial to say that the Italian league is better than the German.

8 minutes ago, Blue said:

In that department, it pisses all over Serie A, but car sponsors, big stadiums, financially strong clubs and crowds don't make a league good. Organized yes, but a league standard isn't defined by those things, the football played is the most important part.

I'm glad you said this as its such a controversial opinion to say Serie A is better than the Bundesliga and it really shouldn't be because its not controversial at all when you look at the grand scheme of things.

Exactly, and since then 4 different Italian clubs have made the semi-finals of the UCL/Europa and 2 have reached the final. Another chance of it happening this year too.

Each to their own but its hardly controversial to say that the Italian league is better than the German.

Maybe because of some restrictions that clubs do not go out and spend and keep to a some kind of model,  but teams like Wolfsburg, Hoffenheim, Dortmund in the past have all gone out spending money with no plan which has led to trouble and Leipzig are a force because of Red bull.    There is something wrong in Germany, as its a huge powerful country who live  for football but their league struggles to lift to this huge commercial platform like the Premier League or Serie A in the 1990s.   It's because of the German public, they do not want to overspend as they are not so easily led like England with the way the football prices have gone there. 

• Subscriber

I also wanted Juventus to do well last season and this season in Europe as I feel like Italian football is due a bit of a comeback. However, the outcry over this penalty from Button, their ex players and media mouthpieces along with the reminders that it was actually them who ironically got caught for match fixing, has made me lose sympathy.

It’s worrying that a professional such as Pirlo is condoning Buffon and questioning the referee. Here’s the latest corker.....

"It's a classic case of interpretation -- you can give it, or you can wave play on," Pirlo said. "With just 10 seconds left on the clock, if you are wise, you don't give it and you let the two teams battle it out for victory in extra time.”

Thats right, let a foul go because there’s 10 seconds left on the clock. Sure he would be saying the same thing if it would have meant a Juve win at 0-4 in the other half. Fucking bellend.

On the other hand, Alessandro del Piero said on Sky Italia that he didn't understand Buffon's reaction on what he said.  He added that in weeks to come Gianluigi will see he overreacted on his comments and that he's 100% sure he'll be public about it.  Del Piero also put a lot of the blame on the sensationalist Italian media into feeding the frenzy at the end with all of their questions being directed in the route of "ROBBERY". The players are emotional after a game and the journalists have a responsibility to obtain proper news and not feed emotional hysteria.

28 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

On the other hand, Alessandro del Piero said on Sky Italia that he didn't understand Buffon's reaction on what he said.  He added that in weeks to come Gianluigi will see he overreacted on his comments and that he's 100% sure he'll be public about it.  Del Piero also put a lot of the blame on the sensationalist Italian media into feeding the frenzy at the end with all of their questions being directed in the route of "ROBBERY". The players are emotional after a game and the journalists have a responsibility to obtain proper news and not feed emotional hysteria.

But hysteria is good fun :ph34r:

11 hours ago, DeadLinesman said:

It’s worrying that a professional such as Pirlo is condoning Buffon and questioning the referee. Here’s the latest corker.....

"It's a classic case of interpretation -- you can give it, or you can wave play on," Pirlo said. "With just 10 seconds left on the clock, if you are wise, you don't give it and you let the two teams battle it out for victory in extra time.”

Thats right, let a foul go because there’s 10 seconds left on the clock. Sure he would be saying the same thing if it would have meant a Juve win at 0-4 in the other half. Fucking bellend.

It's mental. We can talk about whether or not it was a penalty all day, but to suggest that the referee should let a foul slide because it would've made for a better story is fucking ridiculous.

It doesn't seem like it's just a question of let a few days pass for people to calm down and see matters clearly on an emotional subject where one feels questionably robbed. Infact people that aren't even connected to Juventus in Italy continue to feel indignation on it all like one of the power men at AC Milan for years, Adriano Galliani who in an interview yesterday to Italian sports paper Tuttosport he called the referee Michael Oliver a "Stronzo" (arsehole - actually it's much stronger than that and the word could mean the big "C" word in most respects in Italian).

In Galliani's opinion he maintains what most in Italy continue to believe, that the penalty is in the realms of doubtful, that consideration and understanding should've been used by the referee seeing as extra-time was the correct application of Juventus' dominance in the game. As far as most personalities in Italy are concerned in the world of football (not all, but the majority), the referee's decision was incorrect and looks suspicious. 

10 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Juventus can get to fuck, they are a club with actual convictions for corruption and cheating. It was a definite penalty and they fully deserve to be out, their undignified lack of grace only besmirches their name further

But in this case it's not even football people associated with Juventus.  The interview I just cited was from the AC Milan technical director and someone associated with Italy's high line football for decades.

Just now, SirBalon said:

But in this case it's not even football people associated with Juventus.  The interview I just cited was from the AC Milan technical director and someone associated with Italy's high line football for decades.

Well he's well out of line with the thinking of AC Milan generally, there's been a massive campaign backing Oliver. Not all Italians are as lacking in grace as Juventus are.

4 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Well he's well out of line with the thinking of AC Milan generally, there's been a massive campaign backing Oliver. Not all Italians are as lacking in grace as Juventus are.

For sure not all Italians feel the same way and I mentioned some days back that one of their all time legends Alessandro del Piero was one of the first to public ally go against the grain and say that a different attitude was required in all of this and that football functions this way.

But I will say that aside from Napoli and Roma (for obvious reasons) the general consensus in Italy is one of doubt (the more moderates that are the majority) to continuing outrage which still uses columns of newspaper articles even a week later.

1 hour ago, SirBalon said:

In Galliani's opinion he maintains what most in Italy continue to believe, that the penalty is in the realms of doubtful, that consideration and understanding should've been used by the referee seeing as extra-time was the correct application of Juventus' dominance in the game. As far as most personalities in Italy are concerned in the world of football (not all, but the majority), the referee's decision was incorrect and looks suspicious. 

More ridiculous reasoning from someone who is clearly blinded by his own rage. Who dominates a match and how much time is left on the clock have fuck all to do with whether or not something is a penalty. The fact that these people continue to resort to those arguments can be interpreted as an admission that, at face value, it was a penalty, and their main objection is that Oliver's call got in the way of Juve's fairytale comeback.

They should retire football and go work at Disneyland.

44 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

I suppose they looked at how Barcelona completed their 'fairytale' with clear bad decisions from the referee the previous year and thought they were entitled to the same.

Wow, can't believe ppl/some Italians are still going on and on about that penalty decision.

I must admit, I was one of the ones that was pretty upset for Juve' and Buffon's sake that it was awarded in the first place. Since then I've determined that yes, it is indeed a penalty and was rightfully awarded by Michael Oliver.

(Even if I hadn't come to that realization I know I would have forgotten about it sooner or later: as in life, I forget and forgive pretty easily. The only way to live really.)

@The Artful Dodger You referring to the Barca triumph over Juve in the Champions League Final in Berlin mate? That would be on June 6th  2015, not 2017. And what dubious decisions were there in that game by the ref? Didn't see any.  I like that full match so much I let it play in the background as white noise while I do housework etc. mate. Our 2nd treble to date :) 

On 19/4/2018 at 05:11, The Artful Dodger said:

Juventus can get to fuck, they are a club with actual convictions for corruption and cheating. It was a definite penalty and they fully deserve to be out, their undignified lack of grace only besmirches their name further

No way was it a definite or stonewall penalty like some of you say, it's a really hard call and there's been pictures doing the rounds in Italy where you can see Benatia cleared the ball with this feet. And also there was a similar play in the home leg in stoppage time where Cuadrado got fouled and it wasn't awarded. Some may argue about the disallowed goal, but after that play there was another one where Madrid (and i think it was Isco too) almost scored and the player was offside and they didn't sanction it.

Archived