talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Metal and Rock

football forum

• 3 weeks later...

Tonight I'm seeing a band called "Kings of Thrash" - it's Megadeth's original bass player, David Ellefson, along with Jeff Young, formerly of Megadeth, and Chris Poland, formerly of Megadeth. They're playing Megadeth's first album Killing is my Business... and Business is Good & So Far, So Good... So What (I think that's their 3rd album) in full.

As someone who loves those fucking albums and doesn't really like that Megadeth barely play anything off them... I am very excited, even though I've got no idea who'll be singing and who'll be playing drums for them.

I might even get to meet them if my pal from Warbringer drives down from LA to make the show, so... I fucking hope he does.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

@Happy Blue & @Mel81x - have either of you listened to the latest Megadeth album? I'd sort of put it off because I heard a bit of one song and hearing Mustaine's vocals was a bit depressing because he sounds a bit like an old dying man xD

I'm giving it a "fair shake" right now - I think I'm on the 3rd track. Instrumentation wise... it's all really good. The vocals still sort of depress me a bit though - but I guess it's understandable his voice is going to sound older as he gets... older. And he had throat cancer.

The lead guitar work is... absolutely fucking fantastic though.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

• Subscriber
13 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

@Happy Blue & @Mel81x - have either of you listened to the latest Megadeth album? I'd sort of put it off because I heard a bit of one song and hearing Mustaine's vocals was a bit depressing because he sounds a bit like an old dying man xD

I'm giving it a "fair shake" right now - I think I'm on the 3rd track. Instrumentation wise... it's all really good. The vocals still sort of depress me a bit though - but I guess it's understandable his voice is going to sound older as he gets... older. And he had throat cancer.

I am going to listen to it tomorrow as I burn through work before the weekend. I thought I'd pass on it for the very same reasons you stated but they put a new album out and so I'll give it a listen.

P.S. The new Alterbridge album was very very good.

Edited by Mel81x
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mel81x said:

I am going to listen to it tomorrow as I burn through work before the weekend. I thought I'd pass on it for the very same reasons you stated but they put a new album out and so I'll give it a listen.

P.S. The new Alterbridge album was very very good.

I liked the new Alterbridge album too! Very, very solid album!

I think my favourite of 2022 is Municipal Waste's Electrified Brain. That band just speaks to me with the fast riffs and alcoholism...

With Megadeth... I don't really like a lot of their new stuff, but that's partially just because their first 5 or 6 albums are just so fucking good that they sort of set the bar really high. But they're one of my favourite bands if not my favourite band... so I was going to give the album a listen sooner or later. It's not their best. It's also not their worst. I think the songs are quite good, I just sort of wish... Dave wasn't old xD

2 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I cant get into them because i hate dave's vocals 😂 which is a shame because i like the guitars. i do like some of there songs where the vocals kind of work like angry again, hanger 18, holy wars, tornado of souls, darkest hour, peace sells, symphony, 502 and that's prob my full megadeth play list 🤣 ..listening to a lot of doom at the moment like My Dying Bride and re learning all the metallica songs on the black album  ...checkout these rap fans reaction to MDB, the white guy's face when he realises what the songs about 🤣 brutal when it gets going, learned how to play it recently

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Apparently there was some controversy and they were denied a spot at Eurovision by german broadcasters?

Just read up on it. Apparently they simply weren't selected. After that, angry fans started a petition and collected over 100k signatures. 😅

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Tommy said:

Just read up on it. Apparently they simply weren't selected. After that, angry fans started a petition and collected over 100k signatures. 😅

How does Eurovision even work anyway? Does it have to be an amateur to compete?

4 hours ago, Spike said:

How does Eurovision even work anyway? Does it have to be an amateur to compete?

I don't think it has to be an amateur, as famous or semi-famous singers/bands took part before. It' just that a country has a specific way of choosing their act, whether through a show where the audience votes, or it's a jury, or it's some kind of casting competition. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow @Happy Bluehave you ever seen Amon Amarth live? They put on a fucking show.

Carcass and Obituary were also great. I missed most of Cattle Decap because I was starving and needed to eat before going. What I did see was also good but it was just like the very end of the last song.

Absolutely fantastic show, honestly craziest death metal lineup for a show I’ve ever seen.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Wow @Happy Bluehave you ever seen Amon Amarth live? They put on a fucking show.

Carcass and Obituary were also great. I missed most of Cattle Decap because I was starving and needed to eat before going. What I did see was also good but it was just like the very end of the last song.

Absolutely fantastic show, honestly craziest death metal lineup for a show I’ve ever seen.

I haven't mate, glad you enjoyed them, great band 😎 ..as are Carcass & Obituary, what a line up, like 3 head liners one after the other 👍 ..Carcass are my favourite out of them, seen them back in the day on the heartwork tour, so evil sounding, got to love B standard tuning 🤘 ..if you want to know the secret to Obituarys sound, just role the tone knob down on your guitar to nearly off and with heavy distortion you should be close to sounding like the cause of death record 

• Upvote 1

On 17/12/2022 at 13:49, Happy Blue said:

I haven't mate, glad you enjoyed them, great band 😎 ..as are Carcass & Obituary, what a line up, like 3 head liners one after the other 👍 ..Carcass are my favourite out of them, seen them back in the day on the heartwork tour, so evil sounding, got to love B standard tuning 🤘 ..if you want to know the secret to Obituarys sound, just role the tone knob down on your guitar to nearly off and with heavy distortion you should be close to sounding like the cause of death record 

I can go full Obituary tone with a modeler - bridge humbucker tone all the way down, ProCo rat model in the place of a tubescreamer - with the standard tubescreamer boost settings (tone at noon, level all the way up, gain all the way down), Marshall JCM800 model, Marshall cab model. Grab a guitar in D standard and bam you've basically got Obituary's live tone (and their live tone is basically that Cause of Death record replicated). You gotta tweak around with the amp settings on each modeler imo because they all do that JCM800 sound... but in their own way, so the settings won't necessarily translate over.

Carcass are so fucking good, especially live. I've seen them 3 times now since they've reunited (never saw them back in the day). Idk if you've seen the "secret" to getting the Heartwork tone but it's basically impossible to replicate unless you've got a shitload of cash like Ola Englund xD - it's a blend of a Peavey 5150 & Marshall JCM800, a couple of hard to find pedals, and a giant cab that was Frankensteined together. But the tone from that album is absolutely phenomenal.