talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Arsène Wenger to Step Down at End of the Season

football forum

On 24/04/2018 at 13:48, SirBalon said:

Do you mean get links?

Because I would expect that either just before most summers or in pre-season press conferences or Ivan Gazidis saying that there's money to spend.

No I'm referring to the complications you mentioned in your earlier post

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 26/04/2018 at 11:03, Stan said:

Perhaps a has been at Arsenal now but I think he could still do a job somewhere. Just not sure where xD

I'm sure a man who in his "worst" stint at the club won 3 FA Cups could quite easily manage elsewhere.

What I've always found curious about Arsene Wenger's managerial career is that you could say that in general he's been a great cup manager and you're left bemused with his European record which is absolutely terrible for a coach with such a status.

On 4/20/2018 at 14:23, Cicero said:

@SirBalon @Chaaay AFC @VanPaddy @Gunnersauraus

Mail reporting its Enrique 

@SirBalon @Chaaay AFC @VanPaddy @Gunnersauraus @Asura

A Spanish journalist (Kike Marin) who has got a lot of Arsenal stuff right in the past has backed up claims from L'Equipe that Sanllehi and Enrique has lunch this week and discussed the possible job. Apparently in advanced negotiations.

1 hour ago, Cicero said:

Yeah, the rumours are becoming wider by the day although when Luis Enrique has been asked he’s just laughed journalists off by saying he has the triathlon world championships to think about. I think this is all going to become a telenovela with all sorts of names for a while. 

2 hours ago, Cicero said:

Like someone said above I dont know if he can actually build a good squad as he wasnt that good with clubs prior to barcelona and Arsenal right now doesnt have a good squad. 

But given a chance, I would like to have Sarri, Tuchel or maybe even Jardim.  Im still disappointed about Wenger not retiring two years ago when there was a chance to land Pep Guardiola, I thought that would have been a perfect fit for a club like Arsenal with the style of football they play

16 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Latest news is that Enrique has been ruled out. Bourd now interested in the Napoli manager which could be a good  choice

Indeed... That's the rumour in Spain. He apparently told Arsenal that the team was completely discompensated and that lot of investment was needed to compete.  The rumours are that the priority was to get into the Champions League and that he then asked what comes after that. This from people that have worked with him for over 10 years on Spanish radio. I would also love Sarri but we are the Napoli of England and over there he's complaining that the club isn't ambitious enough.

31 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Indeed... That's the rumour in Spain. He apparently told Arsenal that the team was completely discompensated and that lot of investment was needed to compete.  The rumours are that the priority was to get into the Champions League and that he then asked what comes after that. This from people that have worked with him for over 10 years on Spanish radio. I would also love Sarri but we are the Napoli of England and over there he's complaining that the club isn't ambitious enough.

The problem is gonna be getting a decent manager with this bourd. Sometimes managers like to build clubs with limited funds (compared to the Manchester clubs for example) like klopp at Liverpool. But when there are funds there that are kept back it will be hard to get a decent coach

6 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

The problem is gonna be getting a decent manager with this bourd. Sometimes managers like to build clubs with limited funds (compared to the Manchester clubs for example) like klopp at Liverpool. But when there are funds there that are kept back it will be hard to get a decent coach

The thing is that the big managers want to compete for titles. That's what they go into this managerial world for and the ones doing well want to be at a club that can offer them an ambitious project.

All this we're saying because of rumours right now and nothing more because nothing concrete is known though. 

1 minute ago, SirBalon said:

The thing is that the big managers want to compete for titles. That's what they go into this managerial world for and the ones doing well want to be at a club that can offer them an ambitious project.

All this we're saying because of rumours right now and nothing more because nothing concrete is known though. 

Exactly. I remember Bournemouth spending over £100 a couple of years ago. They can't do that every season but if they can do that shortly we can afford to spend £200 million in one transfer window. Especially if we sell some players

• Administrator

Classy from Wenger to start his own farewell speech by wishing Fergie the best. Nice of him to do that. 

What a career Arsene has had there. Legend of the club. 

1 hour ago, Stan said:

Classy from Wenger to start his own farewell speech by wishing Fergie the best. Nice of him to do that. 

What a career Arsene has had there. Legend of the club. 

Yea, just watching that till the stream died off... almost had a tear in my eye.. 

The microphone went dead on him just at the end of what he was saying and I couldn't help but think he has no luck at all does he... even parts of his farewell speech have ended in failure.. xD

He will be missed... 

12 hours ago, Kitchen Sales said:

It's not often you see a send off like that for someone who was sacked. Fair play to the canary wharf bankers, the holborn lawyers and the tech directors for their two faced applause.

The thing is, it doesn't cost anything to applaud. :drunk:

Just now, SirBalon said:

The thing is, it doesn't cost anything to applause. :drunk:

How much did those t-shirts cost though? Your lot have been begging for mercy for years and when the time finally came you got the spelling wrong. Wtf is merci.

:ph34r:

33 minutes ago, Kitchen Sales said:

How much did those t-shirts cost though? Your lot have been begging for mercy for years and when the time finally came you got the spelling wrong. Wtf is merci.

:ph34r:

Some fans got them for free and others had to pay for the, (imagine how they selected the process for that selection)... I have no idea how much they cost mate because the queue for those for sale was massive!  

As for the grammar on "Merci". My French is quite basic and limited to just bare bones communication. Merci on its own if I remember correctly can't be used and it has to have a meaning like "beaucoup" or "Merci à toi"... Etc...

Maybe these would've been better?

"Merci bien Arsène"

"Merci infiniment Arsène"

"Merci mille fois Arsène"

"Un grand merci Arsène"

or

"Nous avons vielli ensemble, mais vous êtes plus vieux Arsène"

O.o

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Some fans got them for free and others had to pay for the, (imagine how they selected the process for that selection)... I have no idea how much they cost mate because the queue for those for sale was massive!  

As for the grammar on "Merci". My French is quite basic and limited to just bare bones communication. Merci on its own if I remember correctly can't be used and it has to have a meaning like "beaucoup" or "Merci à toi"... Etc...

"Merci bien Arsène"

"Un grand merci Arsène"

or

O.o

You didn't get it xD

@Kitchen Salessales meant 'Mercy Arsene' should be on the Tshirts as in pleading for mercy xD xD

1 hour ago, SirBalon said:

"Merci bien Arsène"

"In grand merci Arsène"

or

O.o

Bet you were in that queue to get the 'limited edition' farewell T shirt.... that's why you know it was so long... Total sales including worldwide sympathizers roughly 2.4 million, Replica Jackets with no pockets and broken zips sales, Zero 

Why did they just bring Bob Wilson out to talk about players who never played for Arsenal? Why weren't all the old team players out on the pitch? Is it because Bob Wilson and Pat Rice are the only two people at Arsenal left who haven't been slagging Wenger off and demanding he go?

Even the microphone didn't want Wenger to stay for his full speech.

• Administrator
Just now, Kitchen Sales said:

Why did they just bring Bob Wilson out to talk about players who never played for Arsenal? Why weren't all the old team players out on the pitch? Is it because Bob Wilson and Pat Rice are the only two people at Arsenal left who haven't been slagging Wenger off and demanding he go?

There was. Kanu, Keown, Sol Campbell were there. I think the latter just turned up anyway :ph34r:

Brilliant send off by the looks of it. Say all you want about Arsene and his record, but the man has always held himself well even through these recent tough times when everybody and their mam was calling for his head. Deserved a final showing of respect, and it was nice that these bunch of shithouse players actually put in a performance worthy of the occasion. 

He gets called selfish for staying, and I think that's very unfair. I'd support claims of him being slightly deluded in recent years, but I think his love for the club is as genuine as you get and him staying so long is because he really did think he could turn it round. I think it's bullshit to label him as some selfish tyrant. 

Be curious to see where he goes next, can't seem him as a manager or head coach, he'll probably take up a DOF position somewhere, likely PSG.  

Just now, Stan said:

There was. Kanu, Keown, Sol Campbell were there. I think the latter just turned up anyway :ph34r:

Ah good. With those 3 plus wilson and rice there is a potential 5-a-side team wenger can manage in a Finsbury park Thursday night league.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Kitchen Sales said:

Ah good. With those 3 plus wilson and rice there is a potential 5-a-side team wenger can manage in a Finsbury park Thursday night league.

Sol wants to be manager though. 

• The title was changed to Arsenal Fans Slam 'Disgraceful' Thierry Henry After 'Snubbing' Wenger Send-Off

Archived