talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Arsène Wenger to Step Down at End of the Season

football forum

Just now, Danny said:

Financially Arsenal are a better run club than you, don't think they'll follow in your footsteps.

I just meant in terms of finding it more difficult to break the top four and drifting around the Europa League places or below rather than anything to do with the financial side

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, LFCMike said:

I just meant in terms of finding it more difficult to break the top four and drifting around the Europa League places or below rather than anything to do with the financial side

Fair play, I definitely think they'll go through a period of upheaval but at the same time think can their league performances get much worse?

Dont think they'll win as much without Wenger in the near future mind.

4 minutes ago, Danny said:

Fair play, I definitely think they'll go through a period of upheaval but at the same time think can their league performances get much worse?

Dont think they'll win as much without Wenger in the near future mind.

A lot depends on getting the next appointment right. It's going to be difficult for the next man coming in. People will see ourselves or Spurs as most likely to be displaced from the top four but both clubs are improving all the time. Chelsea will throw a load of money at it again next year and the other two will too.

• Administrator
13 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Wenger's best ever XI according to UEFA

Henry---Bergkamp 

Pires---Silva---Vieira---Ljunberg

Cole----Adams---Campbell---Lauren

Seaman

seems about right. 

Silva and Vieira were superb in midfield. Creativity and flair mixed in with steel and aggression.

The front 2 speak for themselves. 

It's weird. My Dads a massive Arsenal fan so used to plough me with Arsenal stuff as a child (yet would still take me to Selhurst Park where it was affordable to watch Wimbledon or Palace, massive error on his part). Wenger is all I've ever known at Arsenal to the point where my earliest memory of them is Ian Wright scoring for fun and Wenger joining. Feels like the real last piece of my childhood leaving modern football 

30 minutes ago, Kitchen Sales said:

Looks like Wenger retired 15 years ago

It is quite mental to think he hasn't won a league title since 2004. If you had told any Arsenal fan at the time you'll not win the title in the next fourteen years they'd laugh at you.

At the same time, even his biggest critics shouldn't be against naming the stadium after him.

7 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

It is quite mental to think he hasn't won a league title since 2004. If you had told any Arsenal fan at the time you'll not win the title in the next fourteen years they'd laugh at you.

At the same time, even his biggest critics shouldn't be against naming the stadium after him.

Naming a stadium after him?  They didnt even name Highbury after Chapman why should they name this stadium after Wenger, who has been paid 10 million a year and offered nothing apart from 2 domestic cups since 2004?  he would of been sacked a long time ago by a proper professionally run club. 

Its all quite Ironic people now saying how good Wenger was, only for fans of Newcastle etc mocking him about staying at the club.    Wengers Highbury career was successful, The Emirates stadium career is nothing but a shambles but he isn't the only one to blame. 

20 minutes ago, VanPaddy said:

Naming a stadium after him?  They didnt even name Highbury after Chapman why should they name this stadium after Wenger, who has been paid 10 million a year and offered nothing apart from 2 domestic cups since 2004?  he would of been sacked a long time ago by a proper professionally run club. 

Out of interest, how long have you supported Arsenal?

13 minutes ago, VanPaddy said:

25 years

In that case, given there's statues of Bergkamp and Adams, i'm surprised you don't want somebody that has revolutionised English football and been responsible for a lot of the design of your stadium not being remembered in such glowing terms. Especially given how he put the club forward to be in a position to build such a stadium.

Even his biggest critic, Piers Morgan, has said they should name the stadium after him.

18 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

In that case, given there's statues of Bergkamp and Adams, i'm surprised you don't want somebody that has revolutionised English football and been responsible for a lot of the design of your stadium not being remembered in such glowing terms. Especially given how he put the club forward to be in a position to build such a stadium.

Even his biggest critic, Piers Morgan, has said they should name the stadium after him.

I applaud all the great years under Wenger and thank him for all the good things he managed to achieve with us. He won’t be forgotten... How can he be! Great moments but overall almost what seems an eternity as manager.

He already has a bust in one of the main entrances to the stadium which I always cringed at because for me that should happen when you’re gone and not still active. So no more statues required to be honest.

If we ever get the right to name our own stadium, it should be named after the man the put Arsenal on the map, the man who without him Wenger or anyone of esteem would never have even taken a second glance at us... That man is Herbert Chapman. 

1 hour ago, SirBalon said:

I applaud all the great years under Wenger and thank him for all the good things he managed to achieve with us. He won’t be forgotten... How can he be! Great moments but overall almost what seems an eternity as manager.

He already has a bust in one of the main entrances to the stadium which I always cringed at because for me that should happen when you’re gone and not still active. So no more statues required to be honest.

If we ever get the right to name our own stadium, it should be named after the man the put Arsenal on the map, the man who without him Wenger or anyone of esteem would never have even taken a second glance at us... That man is Herbert Chapman. 

Which clap are you going for mate??? 

The enthusiastic, really does mean it type clap as a mark of respect and admiration... 

Image result for slow clap gif

Or... 

The "Yea, Well Done" sarcastic style so often seen when the whistle blows on another 90 minutes of watching Arsenal play away... 

Image result for slow clap gif

Huge admiration for Wenger's past achievements and his personality, but it's a little bit of a shame that such a revolutionary turned out to be so stubborn and so people might not appreciate what he's done as much. It's interesting to compare him to a manager like Ferguson, who despite never really being a visionary in any sense, and being slightly behind the curve compared to Wenger when he first arrived, ultimately proved far more adaptable and ended up being the manager more tactically in-touch.

And in any case it will be interesting to see Arsenal without Wenger, since he's been there even before I was born. The idea of someone else being Arsenal manager is something I don't think I can really wrap my head around. 

• Subscriber
27 minutes ago, Inverted said:

Huge admiration for Wenger's past achievements and his personality, but it's a little bit of a shame that such a revolutionary turned out to be so stubborn and so people might not appreciate what he's done as much. It's interesting to compare him to a manager like Ferguson, who despite never really being a visionary in any sense, and being slightly behind the curve compared to Wenger when he first arrived, ultimately proved far more adaptable and ended up being the manager more tactically in-touch.

And in any case it will be interesting to see Arsenal without Wenger, since he's been there even before I was born. The idea of someone else being Arsenal manager is something I don't think I can really wrap my head around. 

How old are you? I'm surprised you're that young if I'm honest xD

• Subscriber

I read someone sum it up excellently a while ago.

20 years ago Wenger was a revolutionary.

10 years ago everyone had caught him up.

Now he's been left behind.

While that's a bit simplistic, I don't think that's far from the reality.

• The title was changed to Arsenal Fans Slam 'Disgraceful' Thierry Henry After 'Snubbing' Wenger Send-Off

Archived