talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Champions League Final 2018 - LIVERPOOL 1-3 REAL MADRID

Champions League Final   

32 members have voted

1. 1. The Result

Let's get to the core of the matter here, and be perfectly reductionist while doing so. Simple logic and reasoning (sometimes the simplest things in life are the hardest) 

(That's not necessarily a bad thing, mind. It boils every season down to the very reason for playing in the first place: trophies). 

I think that everyone would agree/it stands to reason that 1 major trophy each Season (no matter what it is) would be considered a good achievement

By that same logic: 2 major trophies in a season: a better achievement relative to that of  the 1 trophy in a Season.

3 major trophies (The Treble), then, surely constitute the Best Achievement a Football Club can Make in a Season.

Real Madrid have never ever come anywhere close to a Treble. By this mode of discussion, we would never consider any of their single seasons as being the very best season in world/European football.

The same could not be said of Barcelona. Twice. Playing Beautiful Football while doing so.

Madrid's achievements (at both the domestic and Continental level) have to be gauged and assessed over a span of several seasons, rather than just any single season . This opens up a whole new discussion.

• Replies 935
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, Philippe Coutinho said:

Innit.33849122_10157018780414240_4165653505823

You say that, but he did fuck all in Real's last 4 Champions league games.

No doubt he will get all the credit for it though and win another undeserving Ballon d'or, when there are players out there who have far outperformed him this year. Marketing hype, forced as fuck.

31 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

You say that, but he did fuck all in Real's last 4 Champions league games.

No doubt he will get all the credit for it though and win another undeserving Ballon d'or, when there are players out there who have far outperformed him this year. Marketing hype, forced as fuck.

Scored three goals in against Juve.

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

Are you really that sour? If Messi and company could so easily beat the king of Europe for the past three years, how come Ronaldo has the same amount of Orejonas as your club? As Messi sits home and watches the gap between both teams continue to increase. Don't worry lil boy, fcb still has the most Copa del Rey's who gives af about a CL xD

This is the problem with not having a true Barcelona fan here( Catalonian) they don't live off past success or bring up a fucking doblete that includes the Copa del Rey. What RM accomplished a few days ago is historic and remarkable. 

i can't be arsed reading over this whole thread again but I don't recall anyone ever saying otherwise? 

3 minutes ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

Are you really that sour? If Messi and company could so easily beat the king of Europe for the past three years, how come Ronaldo has the same amount of Orejonas as your club? As Messi sits home and watches the gap between both teams continue to increase. Don't worry lil boy, fcb still has the most Copa del Rey's who gives af about a CL xD

This is the problem with not having a true Barcelona fan here( Catalonian) they don't live off past success or bring up a fucking doblete that includes the Copa del Rey. What RM accomplished a few days ago is historic and remarkable. 

He's actually closed the gap since he's been a professional footballer. 

4 minutes ago, Eco said:

The Real Madrid hatred on here is strong. 

A few of us do hate Real Madrid, but I can guarantee you we are making our own judgement and not basing it off agenda's like a certain someone on here.

3 minutes ago, Blue said:

A few of us do hate Real Madrid, but I can guarantee you we are making our own judgement and not basing it off agenda's like a certain someone on here.

Is it true hatred, or a love of Messi vs Ronaldo type of emotion? 

Just now, Teso dos Bichos said:

I thought it was just me who caught those vibes. Imagine the scenes and jizzing if Messi led Barcelona to three straight CL titles.... instead the Messi fans are stuck trying to excuse why Messi has lost three straight finals with Argentina and still trying to say Messi is the better player....better at folding when the pressure is on  xD

Yeah - As an outsider to La Liga, I'm curious if it's a Barca vs Real ordeal, or more of a Messi vs Ronaldo. 

Regardless, what Messi and Barca have done in the league the past 10 years is incredible, as it what Ronaldo and Real have done in the CL the past 3 years. Just goes to show, IMO, how dominate Spanish teams have become over the rest of Europe. 

5 minutes ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

13 CLs compared to 5 is closing the gap? 

Before Messi 

Barca -  17 League titles, 24  Copa Del Rey, 1 European Cup

Real Madrid -  29 League Titles , 17 Copa Del Rey , 9 European Cups 

After Messi 

Barca - 25 League titles (8), 30 Copa Del Rey (6), 5 European Cups (4) 

Real - 33 League titles (4),  19 Copa Del Rey ( 2), 13 European Cups (4) 

Barca total trophies - 18

Real total trophies - 10

4 minutes ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

I thought it was just me who caught those vibes. Imagine the scenes and jizzing if Messi led Barcelona to three straight CL titles.... instead the Messi fans are stuck trying to excuse why Messi has lost three straight finals with Argentina and still trying to say Messi is the better player....better at folding when the pressure is on  xD

Dude, I genuinely don't get your view towards this sport. Do you watch it for individuals or for the teams? No one is going to buy your non-compelling arguments that are just cherrypicked and have nothing to do with the player itself. You can't use an argument like "Messi lost 3 finals, Ronaldo won the Euro's, therefore he is the better player" as its just silly.A good argument is saying what he does better than Messi. Is he a better dribbler? Is he better at finishing? Is he better with off the ball movement? Is he better at picking out long term passes? Thats the kind of arguments you need to make and then you use stats to back them up. Cherrypicking stats that have nothing to do with the player with no backup is why no one can take you seriously.

Messi lost 3 finals with Argentina, while Ronaldo won 1 Euro final. What does that tell you about the player though? Its not comparing player to player but instead baselessly comparing successes. Again, German Carty led Cienciano to Copa Sudamericana glory and he wasn't the best player in his team. Not even close. He had the stats to back him up but not the actual football ability. You say Messi lost 3 finals but don't actually mention if he did anything wrong in those. You also convientently ignore the fact that Ronaldo went off injured 17 minutes into the Euro final and you also only base it off goals instead of actual football ability.

Its totally fine to say Ronaldo is the better player than Messi (which to me is bollocks nowadays) but you are going around it the completely wrong way.

Christ.

• Administrator
Just now, Teso dos Bichos said:

Those numbers would be much closer if Ronaldo had started to play with RM as young as Messi did. What's the trophy count since Ronaldo started playing with RM?

2009 Ronaldo joined.

Since then, Real have won:

2 League titles
2 Copa Del Reys
2 Supercups
4 Champions League
3 European Super  Cups
3 Club World Cups

7 minutes ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

Those numbers would be much closer if Ronaldo had started to play with RM as young as Messi did. What's the trophy count since Ronaldo started playing with RM?

What an asinine hypothetical. So you think Ronaldo would be as good as he is without the influence of SAF? 

14 minutes ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

And since 09-10 Messi and fc Barcelona have won only two CLs I believe, there is no comparison if Ronnie has been RM has long as Messi has with Barcelona, the Blancos would be close to 20 Orejonas 

And I believe Messi and Barcelona also won a treble, more league titles and more domestic titles since Ronaldo has been in Spain. Strange how you continue to conveniently not bring that up.  Even before and after Ronaldo was in Spain, Messi and Barcelona won more trophies.  

Again, SAF played a huge role in Ronaldo's development. Could of been another Quresma without him. 

1 hour ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

2 leagues in 10 years 

I just got sent this tweet. It’s a European Cup Final but I can’t detect which one as the guy who tweeted doesn’t say. Do any of you know?

Anyway... The important part is that this was given as a penalty. :o

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

I just got sent this tweet. It’s a European Cup Final but I can’t detect which one as the guy who tweeted doesn’t say. Do any of you know?

Real Madrid vs Eintracht Frankfurt

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1960_European_Cup_Final

12 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

At the top of the video it says 1960 clearly, the year you joined college I assume? 

2 hours ago, Stan said:

2009 Ronaldo joined.

Since then, Real have won:

2 League titles
2 Copa Del Reys
2 Supercups
4 Champions League
3 European Super  Cups
3 Club World Cups

He's won a lot... of equivalents to the Charity Shield

Its a disgrace to actually count the super cups in the official tally, you dont win a proper trophy by playing one match or a two legged tie... super cups shouldnt be counted as official trophies for any club

1 minute ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

How many CLs has Barcelona with or without Messi has won back to back? 

How many La Liga's has Real Madrid won back to back?

Archived