talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Unai Emery is the new Arsenal head coach

The next Arsenal head coach  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the next Arsenal coach?

• Massimiliano Allegri
    • Mikel Arteta
    • Unai Emery
    • Luis Enrique
    • Diego Simeone
    • Patrick Vieira
    • Thierry Henry
    • Maurizio Sarri
    • Eduardo Berizzo
    • Leonardo Jardim
    • Brendan Rodgers
    • Dennis Bergkamp
    • Lucien Favre
    • Zinedine Zidane
    • Rafaél Benítez
    • Carlo Ancelotti
    • Other...

This poll is closed to new votes

1 minute ago, Panna King said:

Arsenal went cold on Arteta as he wanted 100% control on transfers

If true that's hilariously ballsy from Arteta. Thank God for you Arsenal fans that the club had the sense to know that giving a totally green manager full control of transfers is mental.

In any case, getting Emery is getting a manager that's actually managed before and is pretty good at it.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Not sure Emery is that great an appointment either - apart from the Europa League.

Bit of a nearly man - struggles away from home, fights his own identity at times. It's interesting but also a risk. 

8 minutes ago, Storts said:

Not sure Emery is that great an appointment either - apart from the Europa League.

Bit of a nearly man - struggles away from home, fights his own identity at times. It's interesting but also a risk. 

Some of what you say is true about Emery, but he is very methodical and examines every detail. Plus within the Premier League we are a Sevilla type club and he’s very good under those circumstances. Plus Valencia collapsed when he departed and that says a lot. 

• Subscriber
11 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Some of what you say is true about Emery, but he is very methodical and examines every detail. Plus within the Premier League we are a Sevilla type club and he’s very good under those circumstances. Plus Valencia collapsed when he departed and that says a lot. 

You say very good, but he never finished in the top 4 as Sevilla manager did he? Had a season where he didn’t win away, and finished 7th in his last season. He’s almost perfect for current Arsenal, but where you would like to be I’m not so sure.

Without ever wanting to compliment you...you’re a much bigger and better team than Sevilla and should have far greater aspirations. 

I’m not pre judging the appointment at all, but for me it comes with a lot of risks attached too.

Just now, Storts said:

You say very good, but he never finished in the top 4 as Sevilla manager did he? Had a season where he didn’t win away, and finished 7th in his last season. He’s almost perfect for current Arsenal, but where you would like to be I’m not so sure.

Without ever wanting to compliment you...you’re a much bigger and better team than Sevilla and should have far greater aspirations. 

I’m not pre judging the appointment at all, but for me it comes with a lot of risks attached too.

No way this Arsenal side is as good as Sevilla were, not even close.

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

No way this Arsenal side is as good as Sevilla were, not even close.

No but they’re a far bigger and better club. Which is what I said. He may be good for current Arsenal as they stand now but I have doubts about his fit should their aspirations be where I believe they should be

6 minutes ago, Storts said:

No but they’re a far bigger and better club. Which is what I said. He may be good for current Arsenal as they stand now but I have doubts about his fit should their aspirations be where I believe they should be

I don't see why he can't rise with Arsenal, Spain is an incredibly difficult league to break the duopoly on (although to be fair Simeone has given them problems), I think England has more of way to breakthrough and with the right backing I don't see why he can't get them challenging again.

13 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

I don't see why he can't rise with Arsenal, Spain is an incredibly difficult league to break the duopoly on (although to be fair Simeone has given them problems), I think England has more of way to breakthrough and with the right backing I don't see why he can't get them challenging again.

The new manager has £50m to spend.

6 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

The new manager has £50m to spend.

Says who, I doubt they will release how much they have to spend. Plus they may sell to spend, much like Klopp and Pottechino havedone. It's not going to be easy and I doubt they'll be immediately successful but even a chance of Europa League glory is better than what they've had this season.

1 minute ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Says who, I doubt they will release how much they have to spend. Plus they may sell to spend, much like Klopp and Pottechino havedone. It's not going to be easy and I doubt they'll be immediately successful but even a chance of Europa League glory is better than what they've had this season.

That's what was reported. Could be bollocks.

I think they have cocked up personally. I really liked the Allegri idea and there was no smoke without fire with that one.

Arsenal have had to put up with their best talents being taken away from them so why didn't they be ballsy and go for a proven winner like Allegri?

For me, this is just typical Arsenal though. Sign up a bloke who will cost nothing because he's unattached.

There is no way Emery was always the first choice. Or the outstanding candedate. I'm not having it. They have settled too easily rather than rolled the dice for me.

I think this tweet best sums up the whole situation for me. I can see why the club have gone for Emery, he will fit in our system and has a pretty good track record at pretty much every club.

Think Arsenal fans are way to angered by this. Give the man a chance, could be a real coup.

4 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

So @SirBalon @Asura @6666  are you happy with emery?

Probably one of the better managers from the available pool and definitely a better appointment than Arteta, nothing against him but I dont think Arteta has any experience to be Arsenal's manager. I would still loved to have Sarri but from the news in the last few days looks like he has extended his contract with Napoli and is staying there.

Emery knows how to handle the knockout cup tournaments in Europe and has won the Europa league several times with Sevilla so hopefully he can repeat something similar with Arsenal and slowly build on it. 

It could be a great appointment or could be disastrous like Man United with Moyes, whatever it might be for the good or bad, its actually exciting to see a new face in place of Wenger as it really became boring and predictable with the club and how the team plays on the pitch in the last few years.

Exciting times ahead

6 minutes ago, Chaaay AFC said:

I think this tweet best sums up the whole situation for me. I can see why the club have gone for Emery, he will fit in our system and has a pretty good track record at pretty much every club.

Think Arsenal fans are way to angered by this. Give the man a chance, could be a real coup.

I'm happy. 3 Europa league. Yes he didn't win the title the first year at psg  but it' hard to keep players motivated all the time. He has expirience with big egos and from what I have heard is adaptable. I'm positive about the next couple of seasons

8 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I'm happy. 3 Europa league. Yes he didn't win the title the first year at psg  but it' hard to keep players motivated all the time. He has expirience with big egos and from what I have heard is adaptable. I'm positive about the next couple of seasons

Definitely mate 100% agree, the bloke has won countless trophies recently and people are genuinely triggered it's not Arteta. xD

I was all for the Arteta experiment but appointing Emery over him is completely understandable. Only downside is he doesn't speak the language.

7 minutes ago, Chaaay AFC said:

Definitely mate 100% agree, the bloke has won countless trophies recently and people are genuinely triggered it's not Arteta. xD

I was all for the Arteta experiment but appointing Emery over him is completely understandable. Only downside is he doesn't speak the language.

Was just reading about him.  Yeah he didn' finish in the top 4 with sevilla but it is hard to do. The  top 3 are virtually set which leaves only one spot left. And he only missed out by one point one season and that was against a team he built. He did finish in the top 4 with Valencia though. We can argue about it all day or we can wait and see. Personally I'm happy. We could have done a lot worse.

2 hours ago, shut up said:

How do you go to the french league to appoint your new manager and end up with Emery instead of Jardim? ffs xD

I don't think we could attract Jardim, he's too good for us even though he wasn't top of my list anyway.

48 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

So @SirBalon @Asura @6666  are you happy with emery?

It's hilarious to read stupidity in some quarters (not talking about this forum) on things they clearly seem to know nothing about.

Who are Arsenal going to attract?

WE SHOULD BE THANKFUL A COACH LIKE EMERY IS WILLING TO TAKE US ON!  Make no mistake, he's taking us on more than the opposite considering the state we're in. He is a very very brave man indeed... I wouldn't have done it in his position.

PSG signed him for their quest to conquer the Champions League and whether he failed or not, they have the money and some crap arse invented glamour to do so.  We can't offer a coach what PSG were offering Emery in Paris.  It's not as if we've had a better master of Europe's elite tournament, is it.

But anyway... I'm not sad about this and this appointment is a billion light years better than bringing in Arteta.  Anyone that says otherwise should be put in a mental home.

I wanted Maurizio Sarri above ANYONE else that could possibly come. I'm surprised we didn't make a massive move for him or maybe we did, I don't know. But if Chelsea did go in for him, then we had no chance because they are miles more of an attractive proposition for a coach that really does want to give it a go at the biggest honours.

In saying this, I think Unai Emery is a very fine coach indeed.  He is a damned hard worker above all else and his forte (well known) is the psychological aspect of footballers.  He had brilliant years with a Valencia side selling their stars season upon season and still qualifying for the Champions League (déjà vu on that one with our own evicted squatter) and then won Europa Leagues with Sevilla.

Who are we currently to be wanting to dispel some sort of arrogance in terms of who we can attract! xD It's bloody delusional for crying out loud.

Im happy but wanted and thought we could've got another man had we worked on this earlier.

1 minute ago, SirBalon said:

I don't think we could attract Jardim, he's too good for us even though he wasn't top of my list anyway.

It's hilarious to read stupidity in some quarters (not talking about this forum) on things they clearly seem to know nothing about.

WE SHOULD BE THANKFUL A COACH LIKE EMERY IS WILLING TO TAKE US ON!  Make no mistake, he's taking us on more than the opposite considering the state we're in. He is a very very brave man indeed... I wouldn't have done it in his position.

PSG signed him for their quest to conquer the Champions League end whether he failed or not, they have the money and some crap arse invented glamour to do so.  We can't offer a coach what PSG were offering Emery in Paris.

But anyway... I'm not sad about this and this appointment is a billion light years better than bringing in Arteta.  Anyone that says otherwise should be put in a mental home.

I wanted Maurizio Sarri above ANYONE else that could possibly come. I'm surprised we didn't make a massive move for him or maybe we did, I don't know. But if Chelsea did go in for him, then we had no chance because they are miles more of an attractive proposition for a coach that really does want to give it a go at the biggest honours.

In saying this, I think Unai Emery is a very fine coach indeed.  He is a damned hard worker above all else and his forte (well known) is the psychological aspect of footballers.  He had brilliant years with a Valencia side selling their stars season upon season and still qualifying for the Champions League (déjà vu on that one with our own evicted squatter) and then won Europa Leagues with Sevilla.

Who are we currently to be wanting to dispel some sort of arrogance in terms of who we can attract! xD It's bloody delusional for crying out loud.

Im happy but wanted and thought we could've got another man had we worked on this earlier.

Agree mate I don't think we was ever getting Allegri to leave a perfect situation in Turin for us. I also don't think Sarri was ever in the pipeline as well, isn't he a bit of a homophobe and has made some racist remarks in the past? Not sure the club could have him in charge.

I do think you're underselling us a tad though. I'm sure plenty of coaches would of had this job, earning millions and being based in London. Also taking over from a man who has underperformed for years? I think this was ideal for many coaches. Definitely work to be done, but there is a lot of potential here.

19 minutes ago, Chaaay AFC said:

Agree mate I don't think we was ever getting Allegri to leave a perfect situation in Turin for us. I also don't think Sarri was ever in the pipeline as well, isn't he a bit of a homophobe and has made some racist remarks in the past? Not sure the club could have him in charge.

I do think you're underselling us a tad though. I'm sure plenty of coaches would of had this job, earning millions and being based in London. Also taking over from a man who has underperformed for years? I think this was ideal for many coaches. Definitely work to be done, but there is a lot of potential here.

I don' know much about allegri  pre juventus. And I'm not saying he isn' a good coach.  But did he really do anything that amazing at juventus? I mean juventus are way ahead of the rest of seria a in terms of resources

13 minutes ago, Chaaay AFC said:

The potential you see mate is very subjective because there hasn't been much achievement or any advancement whatsoever. With this I'm not saying all of our players are cripples in the footballing sense, but there are many that are overrated and I have no idea why.  Anyway, I don't want to get into a debate about our playing staff because this is solely about the coach taking over our now last manager.

You say plenty of coaches would of had this job!  Who mate?  What types of coaches and what names?  Are they bigger or of a more renowned name than Unai Emery?

Luis Enrique was definitely interviewed and it's very well known in Spain that he turned us down.  After that I have no idea what's real or not in other names that have been shuffled with a potential job on coaching Arsenal.

Who out there is bigger that was available or that we were able to attract?

You say in your post that part of the attraction is that we're based in London and that we pay millions!  Yes indeed, this IS the attraction because the job in hand isn't an enviable one to be honest.  With that I'm not saying we're a club that has no resources to advance and offer a modicum of tools to achieve this... But it definitely doesn't look easy and to be honest, if a coach were to come in after Wenger (be it whoever) and suddenly achieve something like a top three etc... Then all the more damnation for Wenger and the board that kept him on for so bloody long.

We have done very well indeed to get Emery.  I'm amazed to be honest.  More than I thought we were going to get.  I had refined myself to seeing Mikel Arteta as head coach next season and I can guarantee you that I wasn't going to be one showing dissent for obvious reasons.  This I wasn't expecting.  We're lucky... We should be doing a victory parade around Islington because we do them for most mundane things these days.  We have such an accepting London borough council to be honest.

3 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I don' know much about allegri  pre juventus. And I'm not saying he isn' a good coach.  But did he really do anything that amazing at juventus? I mean juventus are way ahead of the rest of seria a in terms of resources

Talk to me about Juventus pre Allegri mate.  Let's start there before you make that type of a comment.

21 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

PSG signed him for their quest to conquer the Champions League and whether he failed or not, they have the money and some crap arse invented glamour to do so.  We can't offer a coach what PSG were offering Emery in Paris.  It's not as if we've had a better master of Europe's elite tournament, is it.

I think a guy like Sarri is a terrible fit to manage a team in England. Don´t get me wrong, I agree he´s a brilliant football mind, but man, his relationship with the press would bring a lot of turbulence to Arsenal.  

Unai Emery is a very good appointment. I think the experience in PSG will do a lot of good to him, that club is an absolute nightmare to coach and his poor french didn´t do him any favors. Hopefully he learns his lesson and use an interpreter. 

At PSG, hierarchy is not respected and he never had full confidence of the board. The most important players at the club know that at any sign of trouble they can speak directly to Nasser El-Khelaifi and simply ignore the coach´s authority. Given time and confidence to work, Emery can make Arsenal progress.

Archived