The better place to talk football.

Germany World Cup Squad

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Gundogan booed & jeered by his own fans

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44374042

Ilkay Gundogan was booed by Germany fans as the team avoided a late scare to beat Saudi Arabia in their final World Cup warm-up game, in Leverkusen.

The Manchester City midfielder was jeered as he came on, and every time he touched the ball, after meeting Turkish leader Recep Tayyip Erdogan in May and calling him "my president".

Germany were looking comfortable at 2-0 after a goal from Timo Werner and an Omar Hawsawi own goal.

But Taiseer Al-Jassam pulled one back.

And the Saudis, who have also qualified for the World Cup, should have had an injury-time penalty when Mats Hummels pulled Mohammad Al-Sahlawi's shirt six yards from goal.

Gundogan and Mesut Ozil, who also met Turkey's president in London last month, were both criticised by the German FA at the time and booed by Germany fans during a 2-1 defeat in Austria on Saturday.

Arsenal midfielder Ozil missed the Saudi Arabia game with a slight knee problem - although he is not a doubt for the World Cup - leaving Gundogan to bear the fans' anger on his own.

Manager Joachim Low looked irritated at the reaction of the crowd as he brought on Gundogan - who is of Turkish descent - and urged them to instead cheer the player.

But the City midfielder was jeered every time he touched the ball, including when he had two close-range efforts saved moments after coming on.

"The fact that a national player is booed like that helps nobody," Low told ARD. "What should Ilkay do now?

"He took a picture, OK, but he has addressed it with the press and underlined his support for German values.

"The topic has to be ticked off."

Gundogan said earlier this week he has struggled with the reaction and he is "privileged to have grown up in Germany" despite his "strong connection to Turkey".

8 hours ago, Happy Blue said:

Reus better than Sane??? xD  ..maybe 5 years ago! :coffee:

Are you kidding me? Marco Reus, if fully fit, is the best German player there is. 

Sane from what I saw from highlights has been dogshite for Germany. Just because he performs well for Man City means nothing for Germany. Look at Podolski, a career of highs and lows for club but consistently scored for Germany. Besides he looks like an egotistical twat.

Leroy Sane tattoo: Manchester City star gets crazy ink of ...

6 hours ago, Tommy said:

Are you kidding me? Marco Reus, if fully fit, is the best German player there is. 

Reus plays in a Mickey mouse league, Sane plays at the highest level and won best young player in that league ..anyone can look good in Germany 

On 11.6.2018 at 03:56, The Käiser said:

Gündogans place hopefully doesn't disrupt the dressing room as he has been booed by fans.  

Still haven't seen him perform well at national level. Not sure why löw picked him

I would pick him over Khedira any day. Also Müller was at least as bad as Khedira. I'd rather go with Brandt or Gomez as a 2nd striker.

On 6/10/2018 at 09:06, Happy Blue said:

Sane plays at the highest level and won best young player in that league

Maybe the level is not that high if he wins best player there. He was decent for Schalke, but not that great either. So... you know. 

• Administrator

what are the chances of Brandt hitting the woodwork in the last minute for match 3? 

He did it against Mexico with a superb volley and then again vs Sweden.

Archived