talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Julen Lopetegui Sacked for Accepting Real Madrid Job Without Informing Spanish FA

3 minutes ago, Eco said:

I understand, but again, it's more common here which is why I think it's a poor move to fire him. All you are doing is hurting yourself, and the team. 

Firing your manager the day before the start of the World Cup is extremely detrimental 

i agree.

the president of the spanish federation should have kept his calm and dealt this matter behind closed doors or should have kept Julen until the world cup.

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, SirBalon said:

Mate... They went behind the RFEF’s back and announced it practically without them knowing anything. He wasn’t working for a football club. He was working representing his country and Real Madrid hold themselves as the all Spanish purity. 

Still, looks like the Spanish FA's President got his feelings hurt and made a rash decision. Players didn't want this, but the man in charge got 'egg on his face', and felt the need to make a move. 

1 minute ago, Eco said:

I understand, but again, it's more common here which is why I think it's a poor move to fire him. All you are doing is hurting yourself, and the team. 

Firing your manager the day before the start of the World Cup is extremely detrimental 

But if a significant part of the squad don´t respect the coach anymore, there´s nothing to do except taking a firm action and firing the coach. I think it´s better to fire a coach than going to the World Cup with a dead duck as a coach, like Domenech in 2010. 

Mate... They went behind the RFEF’s back and announced it practically without them knowing anything. He wasn’t working for a football club. He was working representing his country and Real Madrid hold themselves as the all Spanish purity. 

i don't know, but the way i see it, this is just me, the President of RFEF is a twat or does he have any vendetta against Madrid ???    If he is thinking for the good of the Spanish National Team, he should have kept this together not crumble it like this ..... if spain can't go to the Round of 16, it's solely his fault.

1 minute ago, El Profesor said:

But if a significant part of the squad don´t respect the coach anymore, there´s nothing to do except taking a firm action and firing the coach. I think it´s better to fire a coach than going to the World Cup with a dead duck as a coach, like Domenech in 2010. 

But wasn't it released that the players were highly against this firing and trying to save his job??

that's the biggest problem there.     the players are STILL attached to their clubs.    im sure they hated him becoz he went to Madrid.     the players should forget club duties and affiliation and think and focus their efforts for the country.     really man, spaniards are so dramatic.

1 minute ago, bozziovai said:

i agree.

the president of the spanish federation should have kept his calm and dealt this matter behind closed doors or should have kept Julen until the world cup.

What does deal with this matter behind closed doors mean? It's either doing something or not doing anything. 

but the leak responsability is on Real Madrid.

This is the key issue. If the support from the locker room is unanimous or not. Up to this point, despite players lobbying up for him to stay we don't really know for sure.

I’ll add this too which is extremely important.

Had FC BARCELONA done what Real Madrid have just done in the manner they did it. I can guarantee all of you all hell would break loose.

Considering the Catalan thing and also taking into account the fact Real Madrid ironically represent everything “Spanish”. This is a demonstration of what I’m always talking about where things are wrong in Spain. THIS is one particular issue where many problems have festered for so long and sentiments have dissipated. Incredible that a situation revolving football could one day become an example of all of this. 

2 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

I’ll add this too which is extremely important.

Had FC BARCELONA done what Real Madrid have just done in the manner they did it. I can guarantee all of you all hell would break loose.

Considering the Catalan thing and also taking into account the fact Real Madrid ironically represent everything “Spanish”. This is a demonstration of what I’m always talking about where things are wrong in Spain. THIS is one particular issue where many problems have festered for so long and sentiments have dissipated. Incredible that a situation revolving football could one day become an example of all of this. 

Yeah - I didn't consider the outcome had Barca done this, but I think you are spot on here. Barca would be hung out to dry because of the feud brewing between Catalonia and Spain. 

4 minutes ago, Eco said:

But wasn't it released that the players were highly against this firing and trying to save his job??

2 minutes ago, Kowabunga said:

What does deal with this matter behind closed doors mean? It's either doing something or not doing anything. 

This is the key issue. If the support from the locker room is unanimous or not. Up to this point, despite players lobbying up for him to stay we don't really know for sure.

Oh, sorry. I read it wrong, apparently the players supported him. If the dressing room supported him, then I don´t think he should´ve been fired.

The elephant in the room though is that signing with Real Madrid undermines his authority. How can he ask his players not to focus on contracts and transfer offers now without acting like a hypocrite? 

The most interesting take is that the signing by Florentino could have been done in order to attempt to "re-nationalise" the club linking it up to the NT in a virtuous way. That propaganda spin backfired the moment we knew about the signing.

19 minutes ago, Kowabunga said:

the effect of dealing with this behind closed doors ??   simple really.    it will create calm within the team.    and he shouldn't have been fired.   the president should have told him to give his utmost best coaching the national team and deal with this "traitorous move" after the WC ....

the president should have think first and foremost for the sake of the national team.    C'mon, this didn't happen a year before the WC, this is just a day before the event.

not of it matters now, he's gone, the players are in shock.    everything is in disarray.   goodluck to spain

@Eco I can't believe you're questioning the Spanish fa here. Lopetigoo, or whatever he's called, negotiated with anoyter team behind the back of his current employer. Real Madrid did not make an official approach to thd Spanish fa either. So as far as I'm concerned, he is a rat. This could have waited until after the tournament anyways, It's not like he was able to do any preparation for the new season for the next 4 weeks anyways. I fully support the decision to sack him, it's not a decision they have taken lightly, but if the manager has lost the respect of the players then it would only be setting the team up for failure anyways. 

Best to get rid and bring in guys that can do a job and have the backing of the players.

• Subscriber

I'm not saying Madrid are at all right in this but if you're expecting them to wait until after the World Cup to negotiate with a manager that's a month lost of their manager search waiting for a guy who's not a sure deal. Imagine the fan unrest and everyone going on about how they've no idea what they're doing.

What they should have done is quietly struck a deal with the full knowledge of Madrid, the Spanish FA, the manager himself and nobody else and agreed to keep it under wraps on pain of death until after the tournament.

Love a bit of World Cup drama though.

13 minutes ago, Mantis Toboggan M.D. said:

@Eco I can't believe you're questioning the Spanish fa here. Lopetigoo, or whatever he's called, negotiated with anoyter team behind the back of his current employer. Real Madrid did not make an official approach to thd Spanish fa either. So as far as I'm concerned, he is a rat. This could have waited until after the tournament anyways, It's not like he was able to do any preparation for the new season for the next 4 weeks anyways. I fully support the decision to sack him, it's not a decision they have taken lightly, but if the manager has lost the respect of the players then it would only be setting the team up for failure anyways. 

Best to get rid and bring in guys that can do a job and have the backing of the players.

If you are RM, and you want this guy, why the hell do you want until after the World Cup? Get your guy now, especially as the transfers and all are happening and it's much easier to get the players you want when you have a manager. That doesn't make sense to me why they should wait. 

Now, should have reached out to the FA first and told them of their intentions? Probably, but I'm not sure how things are done in Spain. This seems like it would have been the right thing to do though in my opinion. 

Again, it happens all the time here in the States. Their is a really small team that is doing really well for a couple of years, and the coach gets a call from the Yankees/Cowboys/or another major team in the sport, and he accepts the job. The difference here is that it's also common for the coach in question to finish out the year with his team and then join, not get fired by his current team. 

18 minutes ago, Eco said:

Now, should have reached out to the FA first and told them of their intentions? Probably, but I'm not sure how things are done in Spain.

This is how things are done everywhere in Europe not just Spain. He is under contract and his contract is owned by the RFEF in this case.

There’s also the other side to this in that it’s the national team coach and also add to it all what Real Madrid have always loved to represent themselves as where “Spanishness” is concerned.

Real Madrid were obliged to approach the RFEF. Those are the rules and he is on duty for the most important football tournament in the world. Real Madrid should’ve asked Lopetegui if he was interested, if he said definitely, then talk to the RFEF and everything is sorted. 

If you're Madrid you do it the right way. You ask the FA permission, or if permission isn't needed in his contract then you inform them of your intentions. He could have then agreed a deal to be announced AFTER the world cup. Then Madrid could have put out a statement saying they have agreed a deal for their new manager and that the name will be announced AFTER the world cup.

22 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

This is how things are done everywhere in Europe not just Spain. He is under contract and his contract is owned by the RFEF in this case.

There’s also the other side to this in that it’s the national team coach and also add to it all what Real Madrid have always loved to represent themselves as where “Spanishness” is concerned.

Real Madrid were obliged to approach the RFEF. Those are the rules and he is on duty for the most important football tournament in the world. Real Madrid should’ve asked Lopetegui if he was interested, if he said definitely, then talk to the RFEF and everything is sorted. 

I won't disagree on any of this, but these are not reasons to fire Lopetegui. 

17 minutes ago, Eco said:

I won't disagree on any of this, but these are not reasons to fire Lopetegui. 

Remember the issue surrounding the saga of whether Coutinho was going or not to Barcelona from Liverpool?

They (the Liverpool fans) were upset at the fact Barça had spoken to Coutinho and his representatives before Barcelona had made any official contact with Liverpool Football club (this amongst other things)... That’s called “tapping” in football. You CAN’T do that!

You see... I personally haven’t got any issue surrounding tapping because buying a player or signing a coach is expensive business (the act of signing is expensive in itself) aside from the fact it’s time consuming.  So making sure beforehand that the objective party wants to come which can be ascertained quickly, then that isn’t an issue for me and that’s not negotiating. From there on you HAVE to contact the party that owns the contract and negotiate. None of that was done in this case!  None of it! And on top of all that they (Real Madrid) went and bloody announced it. 

Remember the issue surrounding the saga of whether Coutinho was going or not to Barcelona from Liverpool?

They (the Liverpool fans) were upset at the fact Barça had spoken to Coutinho and his representatives before Barcelona had made any official contact with Liverpool Football club (this amongst other things)... That’s called “tapping” in football. You CAN’T do that!

You see... I personally haven’t got any issue surrounding tapping because buying a player or signing a coach is expensive business (the act of signing is expensive in itself) aside from the fact it’s time consuming.  So making sure beforehand that the objective party wants to come which can be ascertained quickly, then that isn’t and issue for me and that’s not negotiating. From there on you HAVE to contact the party that owns the contract and negotiate. None of that was done in this case!  None of it! And on top of all that they (Real Madrid) went and bloody announced it. 

Again, I understand, but Liverpool didn't FIRE Coutinho 

10 minutes ago, Eco said:

Again, I understand, but Liverpool didn't FIRE Coutinho 

Of course not only because it would be firing an asset! Lopetegui isn’t and asset and there’s the answer for that one mate. 

• The title was changed to Julen Lopetegui Sacked for Accepting Real Madrid Job Without Informing Spanish FA

Archived