talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Julen Lopetegui Sacked for Accepting Real Madrid Job Without Informing Spanish FA

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's not pretend that through perseverance, genius, and determination Zidane took little Real Madrid and turned them into Brian Clough's Nottingham Forrest. Zidane; while bringing unprecedented European success to Real Madrid didn't do anything out of the ordinary, as it were. He didn't bring a new style of football to the club, he didn't transform the squad, and he didn't mix it up very much with adventurous and experimental formations and tactics. Not taking away from what he achieved at all but I don't know how much is credit is due to Zidane or the coaching staff, scouting network, and assistants Real Madrid have employed. To win with the greatest and most powerful club in the world is one thing, but to transform a club (Guardiola) or to transform a nation (Aragonés, del Bosque) is another. He'll forever have that 'Guardiola' cloud hanging above his head, that sense of doubt that he only did what he did with the resources available; of course he can dispel that if he achieves at another club, like Guardiola has. We'll see in the future; I'm sure Zidane will fare just fine at his next venture. 

If anything, I'd attribute the success to the obsession of Florentino Peréz; much like the success of Sevilla can be attributed to Monchi over any particular manager. There are certain managers that embody their club's success and I don't believe Zidane is one of them. Sir Alex Ferguson at Manchester United, Brian Clough at Derby and Forrest, Cholo at Atlético, Wenger at Arsenal, and so on.

I do think Zidane did a great job with handeling a team full of egos. He did also introduce an effecient style to the team that seems to get the best out of his players (cross football). 

Moving Ronaldo up top has also been instrumental. 

Just now, Cicero said:

I do think Zidane did a great job with handeling a team full of egos. He did also introduce an effecient style to the team that seems to get the best out of his players (cross football). 

Moving Ronaldo up top has also been instrumental. 

Yeah he did. That isn't anything to disregard, I think it's in part due to Zidane's mammoth standing in world football. He is an icon, and I think huge egos are more likely to gravitate towards someone with the legacy of Zidane. In contrast to someone like Mourinho or Wenger, they achieved nothing in their playing career so they have different sort of relationship with their players.

29 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Claudio Ranieri won 1 League title. 

this one will be remembered until our grandson and grand daughters ...............

but i'm reading some rumors that Mauricio is very tempted to go to Real, if that happens .................  will he be branded as a mercenary ??   or super selfish, he knew that Madrid is courting him and yet didn't wait till a month after the champions league match on what Madrid will do with Zidane, and just selfishly sign a new contract with Spurs.   and now, here we are, zidane has stepped down, Mauricio is flirting with everyone saying WHEN MADRID CALLS, YOU SHOULD LISTEN ( something on those lines ) .......  

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, bozziovai said:

this one will be remembered until our grandson and grand daughters ...............

but i'm reading some rumors that Mauricio is very tempted to go to Real, if that happens .................  will he be branded as a mercenary ??   or super selfish, he knew that Madrid is courting him and yet didn't wait till a month after the champions league match on what Madrid will do with Zidane, and just selfishly sign a new contract with Spurs.   and now, here we are, zidane has stepped down, Mauricio is flirting with everyone saying WHEN MADRID CALLS, YOU SHOULD LISTEN ( something on those lines ) .......  

He's being diplomatic because he doesn't want to burn his bridges with the biggest club in the world...which is totally understandable. He also reiterated that he's not even tempted to leave right now and he's very happy at Spurs. 

3 minutes ago, Storts said:

He's being diplomatic because he doesn't want to burn his bridges with the biggest club in the world...which is totally understandable. He also reiterated that he's not even tempted to leave right now and he's very happy at Spurs. 

hope he stays true to his word ............. otherwise, a sea of criticism will ensue ..........

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, bozziovai said:

hope he stays true to his word ............. otherwise, a sea of criticism will ensue ..........

He will - he's a man of it.

Very curious to see who does take over though 

3 minutes ago, Storts said:

He will - he's a man of it.

Very curious to see who does take over though 

jose - out

mauricio - out

low - out

klopp - out

conte - maybe

allegri - maybe

wenger - definite no ??

guti - fack no ....

2 hours ago, ScoRoss said:

People say Zidane wasn't a 'master tactician', but who cares about that. Neither was Alex Ferguson and he wasn't bad either.

Just a lot of Jealous people as Barcelona never had a coach that conquered Europe like Zidane. 

So the latest on Real Madrid's frantic search for a new head coach is that Massimiliano Allegri has turned Real Madrid down after an approach from the club.

Rumours on a shock move for Liverpool's head coach, Jürgen Klopp are doing the rounds in Spain this morning with MARCA being the most adamant and AS have echoed this although they've also added that ex-Real Madrid centre-back and club legend Fernando Hierro has also been contacted and is on the short-list.  I'm more liable to believe the latter as more viable, although I wouldn't put anything past Florentino Pérez in this chaotic search to fill the hot seat at Real Madrid.

Real weren't expecting Zinedine Zidane to resign and this has put the club upside down.

I have been officialy approached in regards to the role as manager, however, after careful consideration I had to turn it down. As the board wouldn't approve my idea to replace Ronaldo in the side. I felt that clearly he was finished, and thus refuse to manage a team with a finished forward. I stand by my decision.

On 02/06/2018 at 07:27, ScoRoss said:

People say Zidane wasn't a 'master tactician', but who cares about that. Neither was Alex Ferguson and he wasn't bad either.

Although Ferguson was never at any given time considered a top tactician, the way he adapted his tactics over such a long career was quite masterful.

There's basically nobody who's successfully remained a world-class manager across so many tactical changes in football.

1 hour ago, Inverted said:

Although Ferguson was never at any given time considered a top tactician, the way he adapted his tactics over such a long career was quite masterful.

There's basically nobody who's successfully remained a world-class manager across so many tactical changes in football.

Has he? Since I remember it's always been a 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1 with wing play direct football. Effective as fuck with the right players, hence SAF being so brilliant and finding the right players to his system. 

2 minutes ago, Panna King said:

Allegri for Real and Conte will take over Juventus.

Allegri just turned Real down. 

Shit that. I wouldn't mind if Zidane leaving played that domino effect. 

Ancelotti - Napoli

Sarri - Chelsea

Conte-Juve

Allegri - Real 

9 hours ago, Cicero said:

Has he? Since I remember it's always been a 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1 with wing play direct football. Effective as fuck with the right players, hence SAF being so brilliant and finding the right players to his system. 

I mean going from 80s British football with a pure 4-4-2 to adapting to use a deep-lying forward like Cantina and follow the move to more 4-4-1-1 systems was already a pretty big move in itself. To imagine the Ferguson of the 1980s then using a fluid 4-3-3 with no recognised centre-forward like in 2007-2009 after seeing the potential of Roma's system with Totti is a pretty big leap, and one that showed that Ferguson was pretty astoundingly open-minded, even if his systems always showed a certain few characteristics. 

• The title was changed to Julen Lopetegui Sacked for Accepting Real Madrid Job Without Informing Spanish FA

Archived