talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Holiday Thread

football forum

1 minute ago, Viva la FCB said:

I have basically two negative things to say so far one about Italy in general and one comment about Naples.

The smoking culture does kinda suck. They smoke nearly anywhere and everywhere outside. I'm definitely not used to it as this just hasn't been a thing in NA really for quite some time. Like cooks will come out and have a cigarette on the front steps of the restaurant kind of thing. It's just something to be aware of and takes a little getting used to.

Now Naples. This i was warned about ahead of time and we only spent a day there but it was still shocking to see it. The garbage. First introduced taking a bus and as we go up the ramp onto the highway the sides and just littered with bags of garbage and trash. The shoulders on both sides of the highway just covered in trash.

The city was better but still just garbage everywhere. We went to the main piaza for a half an hour break or so to rest in the shade. Theres a huge beautiful Roman esque era church with columns in like a half moon shape around the piaza centre that's covered with shops and whatnot you can walk in the shade under. We sat on the steps on one end in the shade as allot of people where doing. I saw at least two or three people just chuck empty water bottles and shit on the ground down the stairs. It's just so sad to see how some number of them don't care so it won't ever change.

It's really sad because Naples was very interesting and cool otherwise. We did an underground tour in the evening of an ancient Roman Aqueducts, also had some WW2 stuff going on as well. Wandered the streets with all the Napoli stuff everywhere and visited a couple Maradona murals. Took a funicular up to a viewpoint of the entire city and the volcano in the background. Awesome pizza too... Best so far!

That was my experience with Naples as well. I'd just come from Bari and Puglia, which was a great experience because I'd gotten loads of warnings about "oooh south of Italy's dodgy, lotsa crime there they'll target you as a tourist" and instead the only way I was targeted as a tourist was people seemed to go out of their way to be friendly as fuck to me. They loved that I spoke Italian badly lol, many of them were also I think looking for an opportunity to practice their English with English speakers too. But Bari's a beautiful and charming city, Puglia generally is a very beautiful region that's really great to visit.

So going to Naples was a bit of a shock because it was definitely more of that "south of Rome" stereotype. But at the same time, it wasn't dangerous feeling or truly dodgy. It was just dirty. It was still a great city with lovely people in it and as you say... the pizza there is imo the best in the world. It's also got a lot to see for tourists - that Veiled Christ sculpture is so fucking impressive to see with your own eyes. For all the talk of it being a "high crime city" I got more grief from police at the train station (got stopped 3 times and asked to show my passport lol) than I got from any criminals.

As an ex-smoker, I will say... when I'm in Italy, I just smoke because fuck it everyone else is doing it xD - but I don't have kids yet or anyone to be a good example to. Just irritates my wife a bit... until she gets drunk enough to ask for a cigarette.

I love Italy though, I want to go back as often as I can... and when I retire, I'd absolutely love to live there. Rome's probably my favourite city in the world. Florence is also an incredible place. And honestly, I fell in love with Bari while I was there. And @Coma when you go, try to get as many of the city/regional specialty dishes as you can. Italy is truly a great place for food and cities and regions have their own meals that really just stand out as absolutely fucking delicious. Also drink lots of Peroni. Not the Nastro Azzuro, but the one that has the red label on the bottle.

• Like 2

• Subscriber
15 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

That was my experience with Naples as well. I'd just come from Bari and Puglia, which was a great experience because I'd gotten loads of warnings about "oooh south of Italy's dodgy, lotsa crime there they'll target you as a tourist" and instead the only way I was targeted as a tourist was people seemed to go out of their way to be friendly as fuck to me. They loved that I spoke Italian badly lol, many of them were also I think looking for an opportunity to practice their English with English speakers too. But Bari's a beautiful and charming city, Puglia generally is a very beautiful region that's really great to visit.

So going to Naples was a bit of a shock because it was definitely more of that "south of Rome" stereotype. But at the same time, it wasn't dangerous feeling or truly dodgy. It was just dirty. It was still a great city with lovely people in it and as you say... the pizza there is imo the best in the world. It's also got a lot to see for tourists - that Veiled Christ sculpture is so fucking impressive to see with your own eyes. For all the talk of it being a "high crime city" I got more grief from police at the train station (got stopped 3 times and asked to show my passport lol) than I got from any criminals.

As an ex-smoker, I will say... when I'm in Italy, I just smoke because fuck it everyone else is doing it xD - but I don't have kids yet or anyone to be a good example to. Just irritates my wife a bit... until she gets drunk enough to ask for a cigarette.

I love Italy though, I want to go back as often as I can... and when I retire, I'd absolutely love to live there. Rome's probably my favourite city in the world. Florence is also an incredible place. And honestly, I fell in love with Bari while I was there. And @Coma when you go, try to get as many of the city/regional specialty dishes as you can. Italy is truly a great place for food and cities and regions have their own meals that really just stand out as absolutely fucking delicious. Also drink lots of Peroni. Not the Nastro Azzuro, but the one that has the red label on the bottle.

Oh my god I wish I had more time I wanted to see more of the Puglia area. We only had two nights but basically one full day in Assisi as our plane landed in Rome we went straight there by train.

Yeah dirty is probably the best way to describe Naples. But yeah definitely didn't feel dodgy at all, people where great yet again.

So we're going to Milan tomorrow morning for three days to Venice for one. Then to Florence for four and finish up in Rome for another four and fly out from there. I'm stoked. I was saying the same thing like three days in, I want to live here at some point.

Granitas and Brioche where the bomb in Sicily, probably the big standout but yeah we've had so many good meals. Today might have been our best the calamari in Siracusa was amazing. We've got some good shit at home but IDK the was crack. I've actually been drinking more wine im clearly getting too fucking old but I'll try that beer recommendation, cheers.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Viva la FCB said:

Oh my god I wish I had more time I wanted to see more of the Puglia area. We only had two nights but basically one full day in Assisi as our plane landed in Rome we went straight there by train.

Yeah dirty is probably the best way to describe Naples. But yeah definitely didn't feel dodgy at all, people where great yet again.

So we're going to Milan tomorrow morning for three days to Venice for one. Then to Florence for four and finish up in Rome for another four and fly out from there. I'm stoked. I was saying the same thing like three days in, I want to live here at some point.

Granitas and Brioche where the bomb in Sicily, probably the big standout but yeah we've had so many good meals. Today might have been our best the calamari in Siracusa was amazing. We've got some good shit at home but IDK the was crack. I've actually been drinking more wine im clearly getting too fucking old but I'll try that beer recommendation, cheers.

4 days in Florence is great. Get gelato from La Strega Nocciola. Best gelato I've had in my life. Also eat at a Fiorentine steak house... I'll have to look up the place I went to. I basically ate myself into needing a good long sleep there though xD It's also worth checking out the Uffizi, going to see Michelangelo's David with your own eyeballs, and Il Duomo.

Ending on Rome's probably the best way to end a trip to Italy. Like I said, my favourite city in the world. There's so much to do and see there, and so many brilliant places to eat. Off the top of my head though, Ristorante Dai Miei is a place I'll always eat at when I go to Rome for as long as it's open. That's the best food I've had in my entire fucking life. The wife and husband that own and run the place are fucking great as well. Definitely go there and eat like an Italian getting all the courses they've got to offer, have her pair your food with the wines she recommends.

I'm now starving and jealous, I want to go too.

• Like 1

• Subscriber
35 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

4 days in Florence is great. Get gelato from La Strega Nocciola. Best gelato I've had in my life. Also eat at a Fiorentine steak house... I'll have to look up the place I went to. I basically ate myself into needing a good long sleep there though xD It's also worth checking out the Uffizi, going to see Michelangelo's David with your own eyeballs, and Il Duomo.

Ending on Rome's probably the best way to end a trip to Italy. Like I said, my favourite city in the world. There's so much to do and see there, and so many brilliant places to eat. Off the top of my head though, Ristorante Dai Miei is a place I'll always eat at when I go to Rome for as long as it's open. That's the best food I've had in my entire fucking life. The wife and husband that own and run the place are fucking great as well. Definitely go there and eat like an Italian getting all the courses they've got to offer, have her pair your food with the wines she recommends.

I'm now starving and jealous, I want to go too.

I will definitely try the Gelato place and report back. The steakhouse my fiancee was already talking about one, she's on the Instagrams and stuff I wonder if it's the same, she said they're massive and we have to share it xD The uffizi gallery and David are booked especially being high season we made sure to have that ready.

Appreciate the recommendations I'll pass that along as well for Rome. We've basically just been looking up reviews and ratings of where were at when we're hungry, it's turned out pretty great so far but I would love something a little special especially near the end. We booked the Vatican city and colosseum but I think that's basically it. The rest is mostly open.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

I will definitely try the Gelato place and report back. The steakhouse my fiancee was already talking about one, she's on the Instagrams and stuff I wonder if it's the same, she said they're massive and we have to share it xD The uffizi gallery and David are booked especially being high season we made sure to have that ready.

Appreciate the recommendations I'll pass that along as well for Rome. We've basically just been looking up reviews and ratings of where were at when we're hungry, it's turned out pretty great so far but I would love something a little special especially near the end. We booked the Vatican city and colosseum but I think that's basically it. The rest is mostly open.

Dai Miei's fairly close to the Vatican if you want to try to time going there right, that's probably the day to do it.

• Upvote 1

October: Andalucía(various places, Córdoba, Antequera and the coast)

December: Fuerteventura 

I was going to go to Fuerteventura in Oct(well Sept), but finding anything was tough. I was even looking into Greek Islands.

Fuerteventura in December will work out better though. I'm going to be exploring areas which are like a desert and it'll be cooler around that period, although probably still mid 20s. I can't fucking believe how cheap I've actually picked the holiday up for either. I usually book things separately, but booked that as a package since it'll be easier due to the transfers being included, etc.

@Viva la FCB great to see you making the absolute most of your time. 

• Like 1

• Administrator
19 hours ago, Viva la FCB said:

Day three we spent at Lake Como. Thank you for kicking me to go here @Rucksackfranzose and @Stan it was beautiful. Really reminded me of the Amalfi coast area with all the little quaint towns. The water was amazing to cool off in as well. Ended up spending most of our time in Bellagio but we trained into Varena first and trained out of Como. Didn't end up with allot of time in Como itself but we did make it up to the funicular for another great viewpoint. I also don't know what we would have done with another day in Milan either, this was a great day trip. Tbh so far the only place I felt like we didn't have enough time so far was Siracusa

Glad you had a great time mate! Especially taking the funicular up there. I remember having much more appreciation for the place's beauty when you can see it from above, and see how vast it is but also just how mesmerising it can be. And just be in that moment for a couple of hours as you walk through the hills. We stumbled upon a small church which was in pristine condition, almost built into one of the hillsides, but overlooking a similar view to your picture. Incredible, really. 

I want to go back!

• Like 1

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Stan said:

Glad you had a great time mate! Especially taking the funicular up there. I remember having much more appreciation for the place's beauty when you can see it from above, and see how vast it is but also just how mesmerising it can be. And just be in that moment for a couple of hours as you walk through the hills. We stumbled upon a small church which was in pristine condition, almost built into one of the hillsides, but overlooking a similar view to your picture. Incredible, really. 

I want to go back!

Italy seems to do the viewpoints right. We've taken idk 3 or 4 funiculars at this point and you're right, it's always just breathtaking from above. The sheer scale is just something to take in.

There was a church I saw at the top but we didn't venture over there. Long day and ran short on time at the point we actually got to Como. We ended up taking a kind of shitty ferry from Bellagio. We didn't know at the time but it made alot of stops. Took nearly two hours to get to Como. It was beautiful to go down the lake but man was it slow and hot haha.

• Upvote 2

• Subscriber

About to leave Florence behind, tomorrow morning we take an early morning train to Rome where we wrap up our trip. Florence was really cool. I still feel there's plenty of places to go and see as two nights more or less felt good, we could have done more. We ended up splicing in two full day group trips as we figured ahead it would be a nice way to hit a few places we wanted to see and instead of planning anything it was nice for to just not worry about it and have everything spoon fed to us for a couple days.

So 4 nights total in Florence but we did two twelve hour day trips in between. First we hit Pisa, San Gimignano, Siena and a whine tasting and lunch in Chianti. Pisa was cool to see the main stuff and honestly was kinda the extra on the trip we didn't really plan to go there otherwise. Siena was really awesome. We did a guided walking tour and had about an hour of free time as well. Its a neat medieval town with lots of history, especially with Florence. They do the huge horse races every year that runs through the city centre piaza with the giant church and tower. San Gimignano was kinda similar but smaller and I was more tired at the end of the day and cared less and we had less time 😆. The Chianti countryside was beautiful, the rolling hills and iconic Gladiator like trees. The wine tasting was awesome and the food was top notch. Overall great day, just long and hot.

Day two trip was Cinque Terre. More relaxed and got some great swimming in. Beautiful iconic seaside towns with the colorful houses. Very much reminded of the Amalfi coast with the towns just kinda built into the side of the cliffs along the water. We went to 4 of the 5 iconic villages. Holy fuck was it a hot day though, I sweat out of places I didn't know I could sweat from. Thank god we could swim though, the water was beautiful.

In Florence over the two days we kinda saw everything we wanted. Only thing is we didn't make it inside the Duomo. We didn't buy tickets ahead of time and the lineup was massive unfortunately so we skipped it. We did a hop on hop off tour the one day around the city though and got the pics from Michelangelo square with panoramic views of the city. We did the academia gallery with David, very impressive. We went to the Uffizi gallery and man was that amazing. We saw Pontevecio as well. Had some amazing food, the one cab we took the driver recommended a pasta place in a different area. Probably the best pasta we've had so far, great wine and great prices. It was busy when we got there but as we went to leave it was a massive lineup. I looked up reviews after they've got a 4.5 rating on Google with like 18k reviews :o

We didn't end up trying the Florentine steak it just didn't work out but next time I'm back that's at the top of my list. We did however tonight try the Gelato place @Dr. Gonzo recommended. It turned out was only a 15 min walk from our hotel so we tried it after dinner. Holy fuck that was the best Hazelnut anything ever. We've had some good gelato but that's definitely up there. Too many pictures but that'll be the one to use!

IMG-20230826-WA0010.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• Subscriber
On 31/08/2023 at 03:38, Coma said:

@Viva la FCB are you back home then?  The trip sounded awesome.  How long were you there for in total?

Got home late last night, the 24 hours ish of no sleep kinda fucks you up but we made it. We did 22 nights total and kind of went all over. It was a fantastic trip. Ill make my Rome post later.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Subscriber

What to say about Rome. Beautiful city, everywhere we walked and everywhere we went had something to marvel at. We did a hop on hop off bus for this one and we got our money's worth. Went everywhere, did a night tour as well which was really cool to see all the fountains and the everything lit up. The highlight was still easily the Colosseum. We did a 3 hour guided walking tour of the streets and some background and the Forum and then the Colosseum itself and it was well worth it. Being down on the stage in the middle was just amazing, it gave real perspective on just how massive a scale the entire thing was. In 4 full days we did and saw basically all the normal tourist sites to hit; the Pantheon was really cool, Trevi fountain, Spanish Steps etc. The Vatican museum was insane. It was definitely overwhelming much like the Uffizi gallery in Florence; theres just too much there and it took several hours to go through that its just hard to comprehend and see everything. The Sistine Chapel was the definite standout there naturally and something Ill always remember though. Other then that as I mentioned above we made it to a football match as well at the Stadio Olimpico for Lazio vs Genoa on the first night and that was awesome. We kind of took it a little easier and took our time in Rome as we started to burn out a bit and get tired. Too many things and too much to do everyday, the heat didnt help as well but we where running on fumes by the time we hit Rome. The nice part was it did cool down after the first day, had a couple days of rain on and off and mid 20's temps.

So a recap here basically of all the hubs we stayed at and our day trips here over 22 nights total. We flew into Rome to start and Out from Rome at the end as well. We trained between every city except Sicily where we flew, all the day trips outside of the couple tour trips we booked in Florence where also train.

2 nights in Assisi - basically 1 full day, we landed in Rome at like 3pm and had a train out at 6pm to go to Assisi.

3 nights in Salerno (Amalfi Coast area) - day trips down the coast, stopped in Amalfi, Positano, Minori, Maori. 1 Day trip to Capri. 1 Day trip to the mountain top town Ravello.

1 night in Pompei

1 night in Naples

3 nights in Catania - day trips to Mount Etna (small tour bus and day up at the Volcano area, Taormina and Syracusa

3 nights in Milan - day trip to Lake Como

1 night in Venice - partial day trip by ferry for 4 or 5 hours to Burano

4 nights in Florence - bus tour day trips, 1 to San Gimignano, Sienna, Pisa and some of the Chianti wine country. Other day trip to Cinque Terre.

4 nights in Rome - no more day trips :)

We absolutely loved our time in Italy and will definitely go back one day as theres alot more to see and a few things to revist even probably. Our time in each place for the most part actually I think felt pretty good. It was alot of moving around but that was what we wanted to do, we backpacked and planned accordingly. The first time we felt like we didnt see everything was Syracusa, two days would have been perfect probably. The next was Venice. Venice was beautiful, we definitely felt like we needed another day or two in Venice though but it was also really busy and quite expensive so it was kind of a compromise up front but in hindsight we should have just bit the bullet and trimmed a bit more to have more time there. Sicily was the other, 3 days was never going to be enough and we did know that up front but it was definitely worth it.

The standouts for me where definitely the Amalfi Coast area, Capri was amazing as well. The biggest surprise area for me was Sicily though. Taormina was one of my top couple places. I wish we had the time to get to Palermo and the Valley of the Temples on the other side of the Island and thats at the top of the list when we get back. Overall not alot of complaints and not a whole lot I would change If I could. That being said the one is I wouldn't go back in Summer, I know the heatwave was not normal and even alot of the Italians where complaining about how bad it was and its not normal for their summers but man was it tough at times. It is what it is though its the window we had to go on a trip like this so Ill take it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrator
6 hours ago, JoshBRFC said:

I want to rent a car straight from the Airport, any recommendations for any websites that are reliable for booking cars in Europe?

My mum and dad go to Malaga quite often, and they've used RecordGo and Europcar with no issues in the past. Standard stuff though when you get there and see the car you're given - check everything inside and out literally to the inch. Take a video if needed especially if you see the slightest scratch/damage, and report it before you drive. Not worth the risk for you to get to the end of the holiday and be slapped with an invoice for something you didn't do!

• Sad 1

Done something incredibly stupid, booked a bloody holiday drunk on Friday night.

I swore blind I'd never go back to Egypt but got a ridiculous deal for the first week in May, 5 star platinum resort in Sharm. Insane fact it cost half the price of my last summer holiday at the end of July.

They rip the shit out of us during the school holidays in this country.

I had a bad experience last time in Egypt with food poisoning, going to take all sorts of precautions this time round. Taking medication with me to be prepared. 

Just can't wait to get back in the Red Sea to see the Sea life.

• Upvote 1

On 24/09/2023 at 08:36, JoshBRFC said:

Off to Slovakia in a few days. Never been so quite looking forward to seeing a new country/culture. 

I want to rent a car straight from the Airport, any recommendations for any websites that are reliable for booking cars in Europe?

Don't use Enterprise/National.  I'm still fighting with them over mystery damage to the car.  Going back and reading their reviews this seems to be a common theme with them.

17 hours ago, Stan said:

My mum and dad go to Malaga quite often, and they've used RecordGo and Europcar with no issues in the past. Standard stuff though when you get there and see the car you're given - check everything inside and out literally to the inch. Take a video if needed especially if you see the slightest scratch/damage, and report it before you drive. Not worth the risk for you to get to the end of the holiday and be slapped with an invoice for something you didn't do!

I didn't have a lot of experience with rental cars and this is exactly what happened to me.  Won't make that mistake again.

• Administrator

Prague next September, most likely, as our first family holiday for 4 nights.

Hit me up with any recommendations please! We've seen quite a few hotels in/around Old Town, so anything close by to there.

And if you used public transport how good was it?

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Coma said:

Don't use Enterprise/National.  I'm still fighting with them over mystery damage to the car.  Going back and reading their reviews this seems to be a common theme with them.

Just ended up with a local Slovakian one. 3 mins from Bratislava airport. Edencars.sk

I will be thoroughly checking the car before setting off and taking videos etc or any minor damage to the car.

• Upvote 1

On 25/09/2023 at 15:33, JoshBRFC said:

Just ended up with a local Slovakian one. 3 mins from Bratislava airport. Edencars.sk

I will be thoroughly checking the car before setting off and taking videos etc or any minor damage to the car.

You'll have to get some pictures mate. We don't have any Slovakia in here yet.