talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Holiday Thread

football forum

On 20/06/2023 at 01:13, Viva la FCB said:

Started looking into a trip to Italy. Air fare prices could change the idea mind you but its somewhere Ive always wanted to go and the better half is fully on board. We'll have about three weeks for the trip and its looking like August is our window to go. Any recommendations? Would love some ideas or tips on anything also lesser known areas and what?! Is train the best way to get around from major areas? Cheers!

Sorry, didn't see your post until now. Depends on what your looking for: For cities,  Florence and Milan, and Rome are awesomely beautiful. As for landscape Alto Badia/Südtirol is mountainous and my favourite, although some people would prefer Sardegna for that. As for the trains it's no issue to use them between two major cities, can't speak for the countryside, though. Never been further south than Rome, can't speak of that region. Actually most parts of Italy have their beauty would avoid Venice, though, as it's overcrowded and doesn't deserve all the praise it gets, in my honest opinion.

• Like 1

• Administrator
On 25/06/2023 at 08:42, Carnivore Chris said:

I just arrived a cove to go for a swim and have a sunbathe and then noticed everyone(well, all 5 people) is naked.

Fuck it, I might as well do the same myself!

ah yeah, the 'accidentally on purpose walking onto a nudist beach' excuse. Good one!

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, CaaC (John) said:

@Viva la FCB, I've used this photo for my Jigsaw game I play, hope you don't mind? :ay:

DSC_0761.thumb.JPG.6733b509e8a45319965e7139f424a50f.thumb.jpeg.d199593d0df62163e60c86fcfe1cae6a.jpeg

https://www.jigsawplanet.com/?rc=play&pid=2632c18d5b6a

Absolutely go right ahead! technically its Furry Creek though, about maybe an hour, hour and a half outside Whistler, if that matters to you :) 

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
On 25/06/2023 at 01:11, Rucksackfranzose said:

Sorry, didn't see your post until now. Depends on what your looking for: For cities,  Florence and Milan, and Rome are awesomely beautiful. As for landscape Alto Badia/Südtirol is mountainous and my favourite, although some people would prefer Sardegna for that. As for the trains it's no issue to use them between two major cities, can't speak for the countryside, though. Never been further south than Rome, can't speak of that region. Actually most parts of Italy have their beauty would avoid Venice, though, as it's overcrowded and doesn't deserve all the praise it gets, in my honest opinion.

Cheers! We've been doing more research and asking around a bit, one of the guys at my work went for 3 weeks a few years back as well. Funny enough he said the same about Venice and skipped it. What I might do is do a day trip in and out of Venice and just not stay there as the other thing Ive heard is its quite expensive. Il look into the northern areas youre talking about thats not come up, the one comes up alot is the lake Como which we were planning on skipping. So far the areas we've got on the list are Rome, Milan, Florence, Almafi Coast (Pozitano, Naples and Pompei) and Assisi was another one. We talked about Scicily but Im not sure in 3 weeks we'll have time but were going to start hard planning here in the next week or so and see about budgeting time and money and how long in each place etc. What my co worker did was setup in 3 or so main area's and day tripped into a handful of places from there, except for Rome. 

On 26/06/2023 at 10:21, Stan said:

ah yeah, the 'accidentally on purpose walking onto a nudist beach' excuse. Good one!

You sound as though you have made that excuse a fair few times yourself over the years mate.

It's nice here, sometimes a little too hot, but bareable. Have you ever been before mate? 

• Haha 1

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Carnivore Chris said:

You sound as though you have made that excuse a fair few times yourself over the years mate.

It's nice here, sometimes a little too hot, but bareable. Have you ever been before mate? 

Yeah I went a few years ago pre-COVID to Palma with family.

Pretty decent place. Think we went around October, and it was very hot then. Took a bus on one of the days into the centre - the Cathedral and Royal Palace is beautiful to walk around, and then you can walk down the port/along the seafront. Think we stumbled upon some botanical gardens and they were lovely. 

17 hours ago, Stan said:

Yeah I went a few years ago pre-COVID to Palma with family.

Pretty decent place. Think we went around October, and it was very hot then. Took a bus on one of the days into the centre - the Cathedral and Royal Palace is beautiful to walk around, and then you can walk down the port/along the seafront. Think we stumbled upon some botanical gardens and they were lovely. 

Believe it or not, I haven't visited the catedral or central district yet as I've been spending my time visiting coves and beaches outside of Palma, but I'm going to see the catedral today I think. It's on the other side of the City.

The coves and beaches outside it are wonderful, crystal clear water like Greece, i also remember ones on the otherside of the island from when I was a teen. I've posted pics on discord, If you ever go back with the missus, I would recommend staying down in one of those parts.

Edited by Carnivore Chris
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

Should have hit me up you melt.

I was posting all about it on the discord. I do feel bad about it, honestly. If you want to take a terribly overbooked train to Leeds

If it makes you feel better, I didn’t do much on Monday night because everything was closed and the weather was shit.Then last night I just walked around the northern quarter and got drunk at a bunch of shitty bars. The only thing you missed was me getting angry about only card payment.

@DeadLinesman Easily the worst train I’ve been on. Two canceled, three carriages instead of six, and someone fucking died or had a medical incident on another carriage in Dewsberry or whatever it’s called. I had to stand holding luggage for two people, had commuters up my arse, the mrs looks like she is going to chunder from motion sickness, and four codgers are sitting pretty on their little table talking shit about the Australian cricket team.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Spike said:

@DeadLinesman Easily the worst train I’ve been on. Two canceled, three carriages instead of six, and someone fucking died or had a medical incident on another carriage in Dewsberry or whatever it’s called. I had to stand holding luggage for two people, had commuters up my arse, the mrs looks like she is going to chunder from motion sickness, and four codgers are sitting pretty on their little table talking shit about the Australian cricket team.

Good.

@Spikeseriously though, that’s the authentic experience. Train travel is fucking awful in the UK, and I do mean awful. It shouldn’t take 2 hours for a train to travel that distance either but the Pennines fuck everything up. However, we’re spending £2billion to shave off 15 mins from Birmingham to Euston so there’s always that…..

7 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

@Spikeseriously though, that’s the authentic experience. Train travel is fucking awful in the UK, and I do mean awful. It shouldn’t take 2 hours for a train to travel that distance either but the Pennines fuck everything up. However, we’re spending £2billion to shave off 15 mins from Birmingham to Euston so there’s always that…..

At least you have trains. It takes an hour plus to get from the fucking Chicago suburbs to the city proper on their pre-fucking-industrial trains.

Just now, DeadLinesman said:

Always thought mass transit was meant to be good in the US?

Ahahaha. Hah, fuck mate it doesn’t exist. That country is half parking lot, there is probably more bitumen for parking on the square metre than the entirety of Britain and Ireland has land.  Philadelphia has eight car parks per person.

• Wow 1

5 hours ago, Spike said:

Ahahaha. Hah, fuck mate it doesn’t exist. That country is half parking lot, there is probably more bitumen for parking on the square metre than the entirety of Britain and Ireland has land.  Philadelphia has eight car parks per person.

7 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Maybe in NYC and parts of the SF bay area, but everywhere else I've been the mass transit might as well be non-existent.

Well NYC, SF, Atlanta, Vegas, Phoenix, Boston are the main cities I’ve visited and travel has been every easy tbf.

37 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

Well NYC, SF, Atlanta, Vegas, Phoenix, Boston are the main cities I’ve visited and travel has been every easy tbf.

Mate I lived in Atlanta and the public transport is a nightmare. Today I caught a train between two cities, it was a cunt of a trip but when I lived in Atlanta I couldn’t catch anything from where I lived to go into the city or anywhere else. They’d have little signs for bus stops no larger than the size of my hand, on the side of a busy road with no crosswalks, no footpaths, no bench. Walking in the USA depends on finding a parking lot to cross through.