talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Harry Kane Signs New Contract Extension

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's really good work by Tottenham Hotspur to be sorting out the club's immediate competitive future even with the rebuilding of White Hart Lane. Whereas at Arsenal we were losing our top players in a similar vein of moving home to nearby Ashburton Grove. They're not committing the same errors or aren't cashing in whatever the scenario was back then at Arsenal FC.

It doesn't mean that any of these much publicised individuals won't leave in the future, but it has definitely given the club a powerful working scope so as to not be bullied by Europe's elite clubs.

11 hours ago, SirBalon said:

It's really good work by Tottenham Hotspur to be sorting out the club's immediate competitive future even with the rebuilding of White Hart Lane. Whereas at Arsenal we were losing our top players in a similar vein of moving home to nearby Ashburton Grove. They're not committing the same errors or aren't cashing in whatever the scenario was back then at Arsenal FC.

It doesn't mean that any of these much publicised individuals won't leave in the future, but it has definitely given the club a powerful working scope so as to not be bullied by Europe's elite clubs.

I think both Arsenal and us can serve as lessons to clubs who get in that weird spot where they're better than most of the league but not quite ready to win a fight for a CL spot consistently.

At some point, Spurs had to be more flexible with their seemingly immovable wage budget if they want to keep progressing. Kane is their best talent since Bale, and is more of a talisman to them.

This is a good sign for Spurs & I'm sure @Storts is delighted. I know I would be if I were in his shoes.

14 hours ago, Mantis Toboggan M.D. said:

They should be able to afford competitive wages, there's no reason other than some old fashioned principles that they've penny pinched for so long. 

Didn't know you were an accountant 

11 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Arsenal pay Ozil 350k a week, what the fuck.

World class elite quality costs money these days and even more for game changing players that can take a team on their shoulders and turn a seemingly negative outcome into a positive one.

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

World class elite quality costs money these days and even more for game changing players that can take a team on their shoulders and turn a seemingly negative outcome into a positive one.

Ozil does not deserve to be on that much though. 

Just now, Stan said:

Ozil does not deserve to be on that much though. 

Why not?  He used to be a Real Madrid player!  He's world class and would walk into any team which is why earning the same as the five biggest names in the sport is justifiable.

• Administrator
Just now, SirBalon said:

Why not?  He used to be a Real Madrid player!  He's world class and would walk into any team which is why earning the same as the five biggest names in the sport is justifiable.

I think you've overestimating his quality. 

Not denying he deserves to be paid a lot or isn't a good player, but to be earning the same as Messi, Ronaldo (and who else?) - really?

12 minutes ago, Stan said:

I think you've overestimating his quality. 

Not denying he deserves to be paid a lot or isn't a good player, but to be earning the same as Messi, Ronaldo (and who else?) - really?

He's earning in the same region (from the season just ended figures) as:

1. Lionel Messi
  2. Cristiano Ronaldo
  3. Andrés Iniesta
  4. Neymar
  5. Antoine Griezmann

I would say he's in there... Somewhere in between those names as a game changing individual and deserves his wages.

13 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

I assume you're being sarcastic, you loathe Ozil don't you?

I don't loathe Özil at all.  But indeed I'm being sarcastic and putting forward all the elements required from a player that would substantiate earning that amount of money which puts him in an individualistic league of other top earners in the sport and from there we are justified in making comparisons. Of course, those who would be pro-Özil could argue that he's been in a team that's been underperforming for god knows how long but then again in the same vein we could argue against that in the sense of asking HIM whether or not he's comfortable?

That word being thrown at him (comfortable) I would say is the apt one.

It's not his fault though, but those that had the power at the time to formulate his current contract.  Nobody came in with any offers during the final year of his contract.  Nobody with anything substantial that would've turned his head by comparison on what he was already on, what he knew he could be offered and what could make the deciding factor an easier one to accept for Arsenal. Also throw into the ring the fact that we have been selling our "big" names for a number of years and the backlash the club could accumulate on top of everything else if something wasn't made evident.  Remember there are a lot of idiotic fans at every club. 

Kane should've done a Bale and forced a move to Real Madrid. Tottenham fans would've still loved him and he'd actually have a chance of winning something. Unlike Bale I think he would've actually suited the way Real Madrid want to play as well.

With him staying though it'll be interesting to see if Tottenham are finally capable of living up to the hype around them and Pochettino. The golden period for Tottenham has resulted in the same thing as a normal period for Tottenham. Nothing.

Archived