• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Jon Flanagan - Released by Liverpool

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
15 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Sums up Liverpool in general that he wasn't sacked when he was convicted of battering his girlfriend, anyway at least he's been released even if it is way past the event. 

He will probably wind up at a League Two club like Oldham. 

wasn't Niasse arrested for assault a couple of years ago?

Genuine question, not trying to dig here - might be wrong, can't remember what type of assault it was but he was arrested?

Flanno was the symbol of the 2013/14 title charge. Played wildly beyond anyone's expectations largely through sheer effort and exhilaration. 

Sadly hasn't worked out for him and obviously endured some  pretty tough run of form with injuries and made a few mistakes in his personal life. 

He's paid for that pretty dearly but I'll remember him as the optimistic up and comer and wish him well. 

22 minutes ago, Stan said:

wasn't Niasse arrested for assault a couple of years ago?

Genuine question, not trying to dig here - might be wrong, can't remember what type of assault it was but he was arrested?

Yeah, he was, don't think he was convicted of an offence though. Liverpool aren't any better or worse than other clubs, it's just the culture of football. Although Flanagan had by then shown himself to be both crap and injury prone so I thought Liverpool would have used the excuse.

He simply wasn't good enough for a poor Championship side. Stats don't tell you everything about a player, but a 33% pass completion rate is dire. Weak in the tackle, dusted for pace relentlessly by mediocre left wingers  - criminal history or not, he is finished in the top leagues.

League One is probably the best he can hope for - my guess would be Barnsley or the like. 

51 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Sums up Liverpool in general that he wasn't sacked when he was convicted of battering his girlfriend, anyway at least he's been released even if it is way past the event. 

He will probably wind up at a League Two club like Oldham. 

Yeah Liverpool are the only club to not have sacked a player after he's been convicted of a criminal offence

I might get slammed here but i think people who cop a punishment for committing a crime shouldn't be written off forever more. 

I hate the way society is so quick to apply permanent labels to people now.

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Harry said:

I might get slammed here but i think people who cop a punishment for committing a crime shouldn't be written off forever more. 

I hate the way society is so quick to apply permanent labels to people now.

beating up a woman though is quite a bad thing to do though...

7 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

The past is the past.

I just want to make clear that in no way am I defending Flanagan here. I think he should have been released at the time but some times our clubs don't act how we hope (yes even your own club who apparently always do things with dignity). At the end of the day though he's still been released a year before his contact is up. Why it wasn't at the time of his conviction no idea though

• Subscriber

Think the club unnecessarily delayed things here and no one really has an answer why. He should have been let go much sooner but better late than never. I can't understand what happened to him but whatever it is he's definitely on a downward spiral and as testimony to his time in the Championship too he's struggling. Hard to imagine that he was such a joy to watch when we went on that run to what he has become now but that is the nature of football I guess. Great tenacity on the pitch which is always something you want in a player. 

• The topic was locked
  • The topic was unlocked

Archived