The better place to talk football.

Group G Matchday 2 - 23/24 June - Belgium 5-2 Tunisia, England 6-1 Panama

football forum

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Cannabis said:

How so? He's spot on.

No he isn't. It isn't Panama's fault that 2 teams from another continent failed to qualify.

Its not like Panama were gifted qualification by FIFA. They worked hard to qualify and while they are from a much weaker confederation, they finished 3rd where as Italy and Holland failed to get the job done. Its that simple, and this is coming from someone who always complained that Peru would do well against a few world cup sides in the past.

Just now, Inverted said:

Panama. Are. Not. Trying.

It’s the World Cup. This is a disgrace.

And how is it their fault that the Netherlands and Italy failed to qualify?

I think England should be looking for a quarter final. I was devastated when Southgate got the job but he has done better than i thought already

Honestly... The attitude of some of the Panamá players is animalistic. This type of side doesn’t belong in a World Cup. It takes away merit from this tournament and lowers its meaning.

That and the fact they are absolutely shit... The Solomon Islands would rip them a new arsehole. 

Just now, Cannabis said:

South America is a shite continent though, the standard there is absolutely awful. Italy and Netherlands would muller half the teams there yet they find themselves sitting at home. 

Well firstly, Panama are from North America. I can't believe people still believe they are from the south.

Secondly, not even close. Panama worked hard to qualify and they are there, Italy and the Netherlands failed to get the job done. That simple. Its not Panama's fault, if they had the chance to play in the World Cup they aren't going to forfeit because they are shit.

Just now, Blue said:

It isn’t, I’m just saying that the qualification system is fucked up when stuff like this can happen.

Though it is Panama’s fault that they’ve accidentally sent their freestyle Judo team instead of their football team.

2 minutes ago, Blue said:

It’s not their fault... They’re saying that maybe 3 teams from that conferderation shouldn’t be going to a World Cup. Maybe better teams should be there and this is FIFA’s fault. 

Just now, Inverted said:

It isn’t, I’m just saying that the qualification system is fucked up when stuff like this can happen.

Though it is Panama’s fault that they’ve accidentally sent their freestyle Judo team instead of their football team.

The qualification system is fine. The only issue is that FIFA tries to advertise it as the best teams in the world, when it obviously isn't.

If it was that way, we'd have more teams from Europe and South America. Its a world cup though and its not all about being the best. That's not the whole point of the tournament. That matters most when we reach the knockouts in my opinion.

2 minutes ago, Blue said:

Well firstly, Panama are from North America. I can't believe people still believe they are from the south.

Secondly, not even close. Panama worked hard to qualify and they are there, Italy and the Netherlands failed to get the job done. That simple. Its not Panama's fault, if they had the chance to play in the World Cup they aren't going to forfeit because they are shit.

It's a world cup. So should feature teams from all continents in my opinion. 

I’m not arsed that ‘big teams’ didn’t qualify. What I think the point of Inverteds comment was that you’d rather see these teams trying to play football than kick the opposition to death and put 11 players behind the ball.

Trust me, I know. I’m a United fan.

Just now, SirBalon said:

It’s not their fault... They’re saying that maybe 3 teams from that conferderation shouldn’t be going to a World Cup. Maybe better teams should be there and this is FIFA’s fault. 

That's ridiculous too, otherwise why is it a world cup?

Venezuela and Paraguay in my opinion should be there as they'd compete well, but you're not going to have more countries from Europe and South America.

My only issue with the whole thing is that FIFA tries to advertise it as the best teams in the world, as someone who has suffered my whole life without seeing my nation in the world cup despite being good enough in my opinion, I can call this saying bollocks.

1 minute ago, SirBalon said:

I think 3 or 4 teams from north America is wrong while Australasia or whatever it is called get none. Shortly new Zealand are better than Panama. Don't think more Europe in teams should qualify though

This Panama side trained Ina primary school pitch, had refreshments from a local church and trained using skins and shirts...I'm sure they'd rather be at the World Cup than not.

Amazing scoreline considering it's England, but the performance has been fairly average if a little underwhelming. The two highlights of the half being that free kick and Lingard's goal. At least we're a threat from set pieces even if our build up play throughout long periods of the game can leave a lot to be desired.

I have this feeling Maguire will give a goal away against someone sooner or later. Another game, another poor pass back towards the area that's pounced upon. Centre backs can't be that lethargic with the ball.

• The title was changed to Group G Matchday 2 - 23/24 June - Belgium 5-2 Tunisia, England 6-1 Panama
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived