• Sign up free today!

    Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

Sign in to follow this  
football forum

Pep Guardiola Is To Thank For England Success

Recommended Posts

Paul Scholes has hailed the influence Pep Guardiola's approach has had on the success of the England national team in this World Cup.

After beating Sweden 2-0 in Samara on Saturday, England have now reached the World Cup semi-final stage for the first time in 28 years and played some quite brilliant football under Gareth Southgate - easily the most attractive and enjoyable in years.

"I think he is definitely [an influence]. Especially with the way the back three and the way they've got the goalkeeper playing as well," Scholes said during his stint as a pundit for beIN Sports.

"I don't think Gareth has made any secret of that. I think he's been to see Pep and he's picked his brain and he wants to know how he produces that type of football.

"For an England fan and an ex-England player, we want to see the best kind of football. We do. Spain play the best football. Manchester City, last year, played the best football. Why not try to copy that kind of play?"

It's been refreshing to see an England team being so brave on the ball, placing emphasis on building up from the goalkeeper and defenders, and ultimately seeing results.

Kyle Walker, John Stones, Fabian Delph and Raheem Sterling will have been key in getting those principles across to the rest of the squad, but Southgate himself believes Guardiola's impact on English football is already evident from the ground up.

"The impact of seeing that Barcelona team five to seven years ago was enormous," he is quoted as saying prior to the World Cup.

https://www.sportbible.com/football/news-paul-scholes-gives-credit-to-pep-guardiola-for-england-success-20180708

 

 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

why's he acting like he's the first manager to be successful with a '3 at the back' formation :/ ?

Almost as if it's only Man City players who have got us here. 

To give credit to Pep and not more to Southgate is criminal, in my mind. It's not just the tactics. It's the way the media has been handled, the way the group has been galvanised with calmness and that starts with Southgate. Takes the pressure off the players. Let's them play with freedom and fearlessness and enjoyment. 

To say Pep is to 'thank for England success' is misguided praise. Yeah he's an influence. But he's not the primary one. Southgate deserves so much more credit for getting us here so far and possibly taking us further.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Stan said:

why's he acting like he's the first manager to be successful with a '3 at the back' formation :/ ?

Almost as if it's only Man City players who have got us here. 

To give credit to Pep and not more to Southgate is criminal, in my mind. It's not just the tactics. It's the way the media has been handled, the way the group has been galvanised with calmness and that starts with Southgate. Takes the pressure off the players. Let's them play with freedom and fearlessness and enjoyment. 

To say Pep is to 'thank for England success' is misguided praise. Yeah he's an influence. But he's not the primary one. Southgate deserves so much more credit for getting us here so far and possibly taking us further.

There is definitely an international mindset that Guardiola is a football guru and that he has been brave enough during the mid-2000s to change the way football is played. Looking at it from the basis of 3 at the back is very simplistic because it's been played since the 70s. What Pep done was to put emphasis on attack and outscore. To defend WITH the ball and not build a wall.

Whats for sure though is that the present English future outlook in football was based on Spain's football revolution in the late 90s as is well documented. Germany started it first though and is self evident.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

what the fuck ....  pep isn't the coach of the england national team.    i pity southgate, with all his triumphs with this england squad but still no one has gave him the credit he well deserves

 

and for fack's sake why would paul scholes say that Spain plays the best football, did he ever watch that game with russia where spain just did a million HORIZONTAL passes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stan said:

why's he acting like he's the first manager to be successful with a '3 at the back' formation :/ ?

Almost as if it's only Man City players who have got us here. 

To give credit to Pep and not more to Southgate is criminal, in my mind. It's not just the tactics. It's the way the media has been handled, the way the group has been galvanised with calmness and that starts with Southgate. Takes the pressure off the players. Let's them play with freedom and fearlessness and enjoyment. 

To say Pep is to 'thank for England success' is misguided praise. Yeah he's an influence. But he's not the primary one. Southgate deserves so much more credit for getting us here so far and possibly taking us further.

Southgate had 2 weeks of coaching from Pep early this summer   ...and City play with a back 2 :ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel like if there is a club coach english fans should thank for England´s success in the World Cup, more than Pep, it is Mauricio Pochettino.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The last two champions had Pep managing in that country at the time. Makes you wonder xD

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
football forum

Funnily enough, everyone sees Guardiola as being the founder of Tiki Taka, but if you watch old South American World Cup games, we played like that long before Pep was even born.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, El Profesor said:

I feel like if there is a club coach english fans should thank for England´s success in the World Cup, more than Pep, it is Mauricio Pochettino.

Yeah but Southgate didn't spend hours with Pochettino and did with Pep.  Southgate selected a team and that team had some Spurs players...

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Blue said:

Funnily enough, everyone sees Guardiola as being the founder of Tiki Taka, but if you watch old South American World Cup games, we played like that long before Pep was even born.

Guardiola hates the "tiki-taka" reference.  It's based on Cruyff's vision alone, nothing else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SirBalon said:

Guardiola hates the "tiki-taka" reference.  It's based on Cruyff's vision alone, nothing else.

Yep, the Barça style is based on Cruyff´s vision. But one thing I love about Pep is the respect and the reverence he shows for Bielsa, and for Telê Santana and our 1982 squad.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
football forum

Marcos Calderon and Didi revolutionized the tiki taka B|

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, El Profesor said:

Yep, the Barça style is based on Cruyff´s vision. But one thing I love about Pep is the respect and the reverence he shows for Bielsa, and for Telê Santana and our 1982 squad.

Guardiola is diverse... Few people it seems know what he's about. There are many aspects about his character that I can't swallow and he's not this perfect being many make him out to be.  But he is a student of the purity that is football and he lives and dies by this belief which is something I respect massively.  Yeah... The stories of him, Bielsa, Menotti and some others spending hours and hours until the break of dawn with bottles of wine are folklore. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I stopped reading when he said Spain play the best football xD

They just played the worst football of any top seed at the world cup and Russia were a top seed.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What a load of BOLLOCKS.

Just something from left field... any chance England success this world cup is down to us playing shit teams and avoiding ANYBODY who can string a number of passes together.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was thinking Happy Blue has been quiet for the first couple of weeks during the World Cup. Really dissapointing to see that his posting stance is so one dimensional it prevents him from properly interacting in the greatest tournament in our life time properly.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Harvsky said:

I stopped reading when he said Spain play the best football xD

They just played the worst football of any top seed at the world cup and Russia were a top seed.

 

I stopped reading at the headline :ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's true but not only Guardiola should be thanked. This is the work of foreign managers in the PL in recent years as well. England are scoring a few from set pieces but the actual open play is more "continental" than ever. It's that added to the work being done at the youth level.

Edited by Machado
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SirBalon said:

Yeah but Southgate didn't spend hours with Pochettino and did with Pep.  Southgate selected a team and that team had some Spurs players...

I think you are underestimating the impact of Pochettino in the career of some of those english players. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pochettino does deserve big credit. He's worked with as many players who've gone on to play for England as anyone recently. Both at Southampton and Tottenham.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
football forum
2 hours ago, Machado said:

It's true but not only Guardiola should be thanked. This is the work of foreign managers in the PL in recent years as well. England are scoring a few from set pieces but the actual open play is more "continental" than ever. It's that added to the work being done at the youth level.

Great post. The whole English long ball is beginning to diminish with all these foreign managers. Some could say its killing the "football tradition" in the country, but realistically the long ball was only ever played before because on the ground play was difficult in the 60's with all the shite waterlogged pitches that were out of control. That's the way I see it. The ball used was also really shit until 1970 introduced the Tango in the world cup. They aren't the only ones guilty, Uruguay is similarly primitive but I'm not sure if its for the same motives.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, El Profesor said:

I think you are underestimating the impact of Pochettino in the career of some of those english players. 

Mate... I'm not underestimating Pochettino at all.  Remember I follow La Liga avidly.

I know how good he is upto a certain level because the final level hasn't been witnessed yet.

With young players I have four coaches that I love which are obviously Guardiola due to what he's achieved in that aspect bringing in youth at Barça, Mauricio Pochettino at Espanyol and Southampton...Then I really love both Eduardo Berizzo and Quíque Setién.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So the real question is, if England win the world cup should it be added to Man Citys honours list giving us the treble this year?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

England’s success is down to many people but I wouldn’t rank Guardiola high on that list at all. I would, however, give credit to The FA for St George’s Park. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Terrible headline. Totally mischaracterized the content.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, SirBalon said:

Mate... I'm not underestimating Pochettino at all.  Remember I follow La Liga avidly.

I know how good he is upto a certain level because the final level hasn't been witnessed yet.

With young players I have three coaches that I love which are obviously Guardiola due to what he's achieved in that aspect bringing in youth at Barça, Mauricio Pochettino at Espanyol and Southampton...Then I really love both Eduardo Berizzo and Quíque Setién.

Thats four mate

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Thats four mate

Oops! :dam:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Advertisement