talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Gary Rowett's Start at Stoke City

The most popular top tip for promotion following a big summer spending spree have so far...

- Not picked up a win

- Had players walk off the pitch at training

- Been thrashed by a newly promoted team

- Had fans turn on the new Manager 

- Had new signing Tom Ince publicly say players need to grow up and get on with it.

What is the biggest problem there? Is it players attitude? Gary Rowetts methods? Recruitment? Or problems that filter down from the very top?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I surely expected them to do better than what they have. With all the spending they did on top of the large wage bill, this might spell trouble for the club if they don't right the ship currently. 

Wigan absolutely thrashed them yesterday, and in their own park nonetheless. 

• Subscriber

Sounds like the type of situation where he probably hasn't done anything wrong but the dressing room is a shambles already and his head will be the one to roll as a result. 

I have to say none of those bullet points surprise me when Ashley Williams is around.

Listening to the Stoke fans last night giving the new manager the bird and accusing him of not knowing what he is doing, made me smile. These are the same fans who wanted something better after Pulis. They pretty much got him out of the club only to finish a couple of places higher in the league under Hughes playing a style of football said to be better. They turned on Hughes and found themselves relegated.

Gone have the days when they humoured the whole league with their waving of arms behind Wenger, although there is plenty of space now between empty seats to make waving less dangerous. I had them as one of the two automatic promoted teams at the start, but feel there is a cancer in the dressing room which has empty seats all over the ground. As I said when they hounded Pulis out, be careful what you wish for.

Early enough to be turned around.

• Subscriber

I know a Stoke fan who is so disillusioned that they couldn't even message me about it last night through how livid they were xD

They told me today that they reckon Rowett's been sold a lie and that he came in under false pretences, that he tried to resign before the Brentford game and they didn't let him. They reckon there's a serious culture problem at Stoke and Rowett's alluded to similar in his press conferences. A lot of them were singing sacked in the morning etc... to him yesterday but I can't help but feel that they're aiming their anger at the wrong man. I think it's going to take them years to come up again.

There was a theory in the summer that Swansea City's downfall and eventual relegation was because they went away from their style and what they were good at and while there's some truth in that statement, it wasn't said about Stoke City, despite it ringing true with them. Maybe it's because of Stoke's style that people aren't saying it. 

Stoke went away from what they were good at and tried and ultimately, failed, to play a more appealing brand of Football. They struggled at what they weren't good at, which wasn't a surprise and seemed to sign a load of players deemed bad characters and they're where they are now.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Smiley Culture said:

There was a theory in the summer that Swansea City's downfall and eventual relegation was because they went away from their style and what they were good at and while there's some truth in that statement, it wasn't said about Stoke City, despite it ringing true with them. Maybe it's because of Stoke's style that people aren't saying it. 

Stoke went away from what they were good at and tried and ultimately, failed, to play a more appealing brand of Football. They struggled at what they weren't good at, which wasn't a surprise and seemed to sign a load of players deemed bad characters and they're where they are now.

These things always seem to work one way and I do think there's a footballing snobbery about it. Teams used to fear going to Stoke. Stoke was one of those games where it was a real banana skin of an away game.

It's what makes me a little sceptical about us - we're very much in transition from a counter-attacking side to one that controls possession for most of the game. This is all well and good but we've struggled a bit with it so far and I do worry that we'll abandon it at some point, get stuck in this midpoint like Stoke did and end up pretty much deprived of an identity.

I thought Stoke of all teams would do a Newcastle, but perhaps it's not surprising considering they were treading water for a long time, overly reliant on the likes of Shaqiri, Arnautovic, Bojan etc and now they're gone. Got to wonder what the mental states of the likes of Joe Allen, other Prem standard players that they're struggling in the Championship.

Chris Hughton knew Newcastle inside out to turn it around, Rafa is a European quality manager. Giving a shitstorm like this to Rowett may have been the issue.

The Baggies aren't doing too badly and they have it to an insider the players can trust.

Fair play to Swansea they seem to have gone well under the radar, but it's still early yet.

Stoke actually went UP the league table for a few years after changing style. I don't buy the idea that they got relegated because 5 years beforehand they used to take long throw-ins into the box.

They were a top half team 3 years in a row and then sold Arnautovic, Jonathan Walters and Glenn Whelan, a lot of experience and 3 heavily involved players in their top half finishes. Choupo-Moting, Ndiaye and Darren Fletcher did not fill the void nevermind improve things. Then throw Paul Lambert in the mix.

37 minutes ago, Harvsky said:

Stoke actually went UP the league table for a few years after changing style. I don't buy the idea that they got relegated because 5 years beforehand they used to take long throw-ins into the box.

They were a top half team 3 years in a row and then sold Arnautovic, Jonathan Walters and Glenn Whelan, a lot of experience and 3 heavily involved players in their top half finishes. Choupo-Moting, Ndiaye and Darren Fletcher did not fill the void nevermind improve things. Then throw Paul Lambert in the mix.

Yep Lambert is a bottle job, I was told not that long ago Villa were just as bad players running amok under him. Gabby was the ringleader and would lead sit down protests etc and refuse heart rate monitoring or scientific evaluation and rejected all modern training methods. 

Keane confronted him and gave him what for, Gabby led a revolt and Lambert caved and got rid of Keane 😂 

I wouldn’t be superised if similar has gone down at this shithole just east of the M6. 

Firslty, I have to say, I think they were massively undercooked when we played them first game. I don't know what they did pre season, but they couldn't keep up with our intensity or pace. So I think that this has affected their start for sure just trying to get up to the pace of the Championship and the intensity of it.

Secondly, I personally disagree with @Dan on Rowett. I liked the guy at Birmingham but the more I saw him at Derby and in his early days at Stoke, I think he's such an arrogant prick. Not to mention a proper snake. Ran out of answers when they had a downturn in form last season and dropped out the top 2 battle. There will be no loyalty with him. He was more than happy to laugh and laud up they were the 'bookies favourites'. I don't think he's as good as what I initially thought as a manager if I'm honest and I think he's struggling to work out the best shape and players for this team. Rowett is not really someone who gets his teams to play good football. My mate held a season ticket at Derby last season and said whilst they got results, the football was dour.

Don't think they have that many players who have come down who I'd look at and think they are far too good for this league. Players like Berahino who hasn't scored in a fucking age, Fletcher and Adam who are past it, Shawcross past his best, Cameron and Pieters, nothing to write home about etc. I think it speaks volumes that not many teams came in and took Stoke players because they aren't anything special.

The signings that they made are not exceptional signings either IMO. Benik Afobe? Yeah ok, reasonably decent. James McClean? Alright but hasn't really done anything special. Tom Ince? Never fulfilled the potential, this is his level. Sam Clucas? Grafter but will he really run games? Cuco Martina and Ashley Williams? Coming off the back of poor seasons but will get by in this league. But are they exceptional signings mind? I don't think so. Put it this way, I don't think they haven't strengthened like they could have, there are genuinely better players they could have bought from Championship and League One teams, like Flint/Bryan at Bristol City, Forestieri at Wednesday, Dack at Blackburn, Maddison at Peterborough

Let's be fair, we are only four games in. Fulham didn't start their season properly till November last year and should have got Top 2 so they have bundles of time to make it work. But initial impressions are not good.

Early days of course but I've said all summer when asked I wasn't sold on Stoke.

• 3 months later...
  • Administrator

So after a bit of a shaky start for Rowett this season, they seem to have settled down and are now making moves to climb up the table and challenge for a play-off spot. Maybe even more if they can get through the next 4-6 weeks in the same form as recently.

10 games unbeaten. Couple of good results in that run; beating Derby and drawing away at Villa. 

Their next game is actually against the side they last lost against - Birmingham. Rowett's old club and a side also in very good form.

Archived