talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Everton Discussion

football forum

Can’t say that I’m a huge fan of Marco Silva, purely for his teams’ inability to defend and his inability to disable other teams’ attacking threat. 

I know Watford and Hull are perceived “lesser” clubs than Everton and the expectations and players at his disposal are of a lower level than those he has now at Everton but it’s becoming a habit of his sides to be conceding goals. 

His Hull side shipped goals, 36 in 22 games, including thirteen in his final three games. His Watford side shipped 44 in 20 Premier League games, including some hammerings. Everton have conceded 28 thus far, with eight clean sheets. 

9 hours ago, The Artful Dodger said:

You don't know what you're talking about it you think he did an 'average job' at Hull. Stick to things you actually know about, if that's anything. 

He's still living off that brief spell at Hull now, He was only there for a few months and still got them relegated i understand their squad that season was depleted but was the job he done all that great? he got few good results thats about it.

The job he done at Watford was indeed very average he had a good first few months like he did at Hull then it turned in to a disaster.

Im not writing him off yet because he's clearly made some good changes at Everton and there's potential there but this season has been hit and miss for them and conceding 6 at home is atrocious for anyone. Not saying he's a bad manager just very overrated ¬¬

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Our AGM tonight. This is pretty indicative of how important an acquisition Brands was this summer, more important than the new manager:

Not much expected in the January window:

Keith Harris with some big talk about the new stadium. He hasn't got all of the fans convinced though...

More stadium talk...

CEOs stated ambition:

Hopefully not more empty promises as that would be lovely, but will probably merely serve as laughing stock for opposition fans for the foreseeable future...

Lol, well it's less embarrassing than the Moshiri Lukaku voodoo speech.

I'm over the unambitious capacity now, please just get this built. It's vital for the city as a whole and it'll potentially be one of the iconic stadiums of Europe, might sound a little grandiose but I drive through this area on a daily basis and it's crying out for regeneration, combined with the magnificent Stanley Tobacco Warehouse just metres away and the rapidly growing Liverpool city centre, it could be something huge. Everton's part it in it is crucial.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber

Moshiri finished by saying that he looks at the league table and it's simply not good enough, and that the club really want to win the FA Cup and it is a priority. Now words are words, and nothing more, but it beats the words from previous years e.g.

Walsh: Lukaku didn't even win us that many points last season so we didn't need to replace him.

Kenwright: I'd just like to thank Sam on the club's behalf for what he's done for us. [After climbing to 8th in the league table].

Moshiri: some bullshit about Lukaku going to that voodoo tent in Congo or wherever before deciding to leave the club.

A positive evening by the sound of it, hopefully the club does actually have some idea what they're doing.

It looks like Everton will continue to splash plenty of cash. At least their going to have a go unlike certain clubs (Newcastle for one).

Could be exciting times ahead for Everton though I do currently have my doubts on Marco Silva and for me he's got a better and more positive reputation than maybe he deserves at present. They have some winnable games coming up and they need to bounce back after a poor run of 1 win in 8 games.

• Subscriber
19 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

Everton want to win cups and leagues? Don’t every team? 

You'd think so but the way some teams approach the cup competitions, prioritising the battle for 12th in the league over trying to win the FA Cup, it doesn't go without saying anymore.

4 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

You'd think so but the way some teams approach the cup competitions, prioritising the battle for 12th in the league over trying to win the FA Cup, it doesn't go without saying anymore.

Exactly my team Newcastle have no interest in anything but to try and stay up which as a supporter is demorlising. Fair play to Everton though you guys are spending the cash and ambitious. If you move to a new stadium that'll be great though I will miss Goodison park great atmosphere it is. 

• Subscriber

The club have said that Cenk Tosun can leave if the asking price of £20m is met. Would be a £7m loss on his original fee last year which is annoying.

Niasse also available for transfer. The club won't be bringing anyone in unless someone leaves.

• Subscriber
42 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

That Tosun has been an absolutely terrible signing hasn't he? 

He did well under Allardyce but just doesn't have the pace or mobility to play in Silva's side. Exactly the sort of ways you piss money away by constantly changing managers.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, LFCMike said:

The Mersey billionaires :ph34r:

All about the wage budget. For starters, we're apparently still paying off Martinez, Koeman and Allardyce which is both hilarious and embarrassing.

After that, you've got a silly number of players who are either out on loan but we're still paying some of their wages, have left the club entirely but we're still paying them a reduced difference between their Everton wage and their new wage, and players who you simply forget about but are still on decent wages, and it's mad how many of them are on anything between 60k and 100k+ a week when you look at some of the names.

A far from exhaustive list: Sandro Ramirez, Yannick Bolasie, Kevin Mirallas, James McCarthy, Oumar Niasse, Mo Besic, Morgan Schneiderlin, Ashley Williams, Davy Klaassen (not sure if we're actually paying him anything tbf).

Dread to think how much wasted money we're still paying to these players and the previous managers to be honest, but it's been made clear now that Brands is working on reducing the wage budget and that we won't add to it unless we're offloading some of the financial responsibility. He's done well to shift Rooney, Robles, Funes Mori, Klaassen and some others who were on decent whack already but it'll be at least a couple of years before the bleeding stops.

Shambles we've been the last 5 years.

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Tommy said:

I have a question, my friends. Why was Pickford's birth name Logan, or well, why did he change it to Pickford? Anyone knows this?

First I've heard of this actually, a Google doesn't bring anything up aside from the fact that this is indeed true.

It's not uncommon in the UK, I don't know if it is in Germany, for a young person to change their surname. Usually the circumstances derive from parents not being together either at birth or through divorce a few years later. E.g. his parents may have been Mr and Mrs Logan when he was born and the dad went on to walk out on them or something else that caused him to want to take his mother's maiden name Pickford. Or possibly his parents weren't married so he took his mother's name Logan and then later decided he wanted to be called Pickford after his Dad, or his parents even got married after he was born and they all became Pickfords. Could be any of these scenarios or others that are similar.

I have at least one friend who has changed her surname twice since we were teenagers, and I've taught at least half a dozen students whose legal surnames have been changed for one reason or another, involving circumstances at home, so like I say it isn't uncommon.

• Upvote 1