talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Everton Discussion

football forum

• Subscriber

Yeah I think Kean took a two year loan to Juventus with an obligation to buy but he's been a bit shite for them which is why there was talk of them activating the clause or negotiating a deal a year earlier so they could sell him on.

• Subscriber

Onana in the door along with defensive reinforcements. Another case where we've paid £8m or so up front with installments stacking up over time to hit the reported £33m fee.

Delay with Gueye is at the PSG end and the severance package for leaving his contract with them early. Club now looking at alternatives after a frustrating delay.

Striker coming in last by the looks of it with a variety of players being sounded out as chances of securing Broja from Chelsea are looking minimal.

• Subscriber

If we end up with a first and second eleven that looks something like this, it isn't spectacular but it shouldn't be a serious relegation contender either. Our recruitment team will have just about done their job so it will be over to Lampard to get 40+ points out of these players, obviously provided we avoid too many injuries because this was an under-rated factor in our struggles last season. Currently got Mina, Godfrey, Doucoure, Townsend and Calvert-Lewin out already. Anyway.

Pickford (Begovic)

Patterson (Coleman)

Mykolenko (Vinagre)

Tarkowski (Godfrey)

Coady (Keane)

Mina (Holgate)

Gueye (Allan)

Onana (Doucoure)

Iwobi (Alli)

Gordon (Townsend)

McNeil (Gray)

Calvert-Lewin (new striker)

That's actually two sets of 12 players to factor in a 3-4-3 or a 4-3-3 so there should be flexibility there too. I've backed Lampard without any caveats so far but provided those last two signings go through and we have no more outgoings, there would have to be questions about his performance if we get 12-15 games into the season and we're down there struggling.

• Subscriber

All very sudden but to be honest it's hard to see where he fits in a 343 or 433 which are the two systems Lampard has settled on as options.

At least we paid nothing for him in the first place apart from a small nominal fee of some sort. He's made 13 of the 20 appearances required for the first £10m to go to Spurs. Was worth a punt with the structure of the deal on the table and he did contribute to the all-important comeback against Palace that kept us up but can't say the squad will miss him if he decides to go to Besiktas.

Spurs also stand to get a quarter of any sell-on fee so they'll get a couple million if they go for the £8m permanent deal.

2 hours ago, Cicero said:

Mourinho really was spot on about him. 

41 minutes ago, Rick said:

If you’re Alli, surely this is the moment where you think “fuck me, I need to sort my life out” and get focused back on football. If he ends up at Besiktas, his career is done. 

In one ear, out the other. 

• Upvote 1

On 16/08/2022 at 13:54, RandoEFC said:

If we end up with a first and second eleven that looks something like this, it isn't spectacular but it shouldn't be a serious relegation contender either. Our recruitment team will have just about done their job so it will be over to Lampard to get 40+ points out of these players, obviously provided we avoid too many injuries because this was an under-rated factor in our struggles last season. Currently got Mina, Godfrey, Doucoure, Townsend and Calvert-Lewin out already. Anyway.

Pickford (Begovic)

Patterson (Coleman)

Mykolenko (Vinagre)

Tarkowski (Godfrey)

Coady (Keane)

Mina (Holgate)

Gueye (Allan)

Onana (Doucoure)

Iwobi (Alli)

Gordon (Townsend)

McNeil (Gray)

Calvert-Lewin (new striker)

That's actually two sets of 12 players to factor in a 3-4-3 or a 4-3-3 so there should be flexibility there too. I've backed Lampard without any caveats so far but provided those last two signings go through and we have no more outgoings, there would have to be questions about his performance if we get 12-15 games into the season and we're down there struggling.

The starting 11 look pretty solid and would be a match for most Premier League sides. But many of the reserves look significantly less impressive in my opinion. Everton should finish above the relegation places once again this season, despite them losing their first 2 Premier League matches. Especially if they manage to bring in 1 or 2 more top players. Ben Brereton-Diaz, Che Adams, Serhou Guirassy, Ludovic Ajorque, Armando Broja, Neal Maupay, Ross Barkley and Billy Gilmour have all been linked with Everton. If just two of these players join, it would add much needed depth and extra quality to the team.

1 hour ago, Danny said:

Would love to know why things went down hill for Dele...he's such a gifted footballer and was the best young player in the league at the time.

I think it's a mix of modern tactics sort of leaving the position he's best in behind & him not really adapting. And being lazy in training means managers think he doesn't take his career seriously - and it's not like it looks like he's worked particularly hard at finding a way to make a role for himself at a club outside of playing the role he's best in.

The laziness isn't going to fly with a lot of managers in this era of football if you want to compete at the top end of the league and in Europe, nor is being unable or unwilling to adapt to new roles to allow for the manager to make a system that gets the best out of more players.

He's a good example of why talent alone doesn't necessarily mean you'll be a good player. You need the right attitude to go with that talent.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber

Lampard used two out of five substitutes today. Dele Alli was left on the bench. If the player is erring over whether or not to take the deal with Besiktas then I'd read that as a gentle nudge from the manager that he'd like to create the space in the squad and free up some of that wage budget.

• Subscriber

Barely a week left of the window and we're still dicking around. 

Gueye still hasn't signed despite having agreed terms over 3 weeks ago.

We're four games into the season and Rondon is still our backup striker with Calvert-Lewin injured.

That's the bare minimum and ideally we need another creative attacking player to add to our wide options.

And this is before you factor in the possible loss of Anthony Gordon, for whom we're turning down offers that appear to be too good to turn down. 

All the while the days are ticking away.

To be fair, Alli had a succession of serious hamstring injuries and has never been the same player since. They've destroyed him. 

There's a kind of myth around him that he's a player who sees football as an annoyance and is a professional Instagram poster which I never thought was fair.

It's more sad than anything, what's happened. He even lost that nastiness he had when he was quality.