talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Everton 0-1 Leicester - Tuesday 1st January, 2019

football forum

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Everton fans leaving early or booing the players is nothing new. 

Possibly the worst fans in the world. Never used to be like that mind, just the new generation. 

Those players need booing after that performance. You drag yourself out of bed on New Years Day to go and watch that and make your displeasure known at the end of the game doesn't make you the worst fans in the world. Rather see our fanbase give a shit than see a stadium full of Arabic day trippers taking selfies when Vardy starts doing back-flips in front of the home fans like you see at Anfield and Old Trafford these days.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Those players need booing after that performance. You drag yourself out of bed on New Years Day to go and watch that and make your displeasure known at the end of the game doesn't make you the worst fans in the world. Rather see our fanbase give a shit than see a stadium full of Arabic day trippers taking selfies when Vardy starts doing back-flips in front of the home fans like you see at Anfield and Old Trafford these days.

Mate, Everton fans have been atrocious for at least 10 years. 

Bias or not, you lot just can't create an atmosphere like Anfield on it's day..  day trippers or not!

• Administrator

9 points out of 12 over the festive period. 

With the games being Chelsea, Man City, Cardiff and Everton I'd have snapped your hands off xD

Two clean sheets to boot, as well. Need to give Puel credit for the response after the Palace game. Todays first half was not pretty but 2nd half we took initiative and grabbed the game by the scruff of its neck. Puel changed it up taking off ineffective Ghezzal and bringing on reliable Albrighton. Changed the game and gave us more space in the middle as Ghezzal kept drifting in to the middle and crowding the midfield. 

And Vardy only needs one chance like that, granted it came about from a Keane mistake but gotta take them while you can.

Time to build a bit of momentum now with a tough end to the month and start of Feb. 

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Mate, Everton fans have been atrocious for at least 10 years. 

Bias or not, you lot just can't create an atmosphere like Anfield on it's day..  day trippers or not!

Yeah "on its day". Every stadium in the country can generate a better atmosphere than most other grounds do on average "on its day", Goodison included. As an aside, in the derby Anfield was easily one of the worst atmospheres I've seen at one of our games this season for the majority of the match so let's not pretend Anfield, or indeed any stadium, is reliably rocking all of the time.

You can't label an entire fanbase "shit" unless you're one of them and you actually know what they've suffered through. The atmosphere at Anfield was probably similar during the Hodgson months and when things went sour under Rodgers etc. as well.

What have Everton actually given their fans in the last 10 years? Vague promises, false promises, broken promises. Martinez promised Champions League football and delivered back to back bottom half finishes, Moshiri promised to make us relevant again and Koeman and Walsh delivered one vaguely acceptable league campaign and a lesson in how to waste £100m in 30 days, the club at large has promised one of the most exciting new stadia in the country and it's taking them forever to even set any of that in stone.

Why the fuck should the fans be happy? No trophies since 1995 when I was 2 years old yet we continue to play second string sides in the League Cup and probably the FA Cup so that we can get knocked out in the fourth round but at least our key players save themselves for the gruelling festive fixture run where we pick up 5 points in 8 games in the all important scrap for 9th.

Significant investment over a number of transfer windows only to see what should be players good enough to take us to at least 7th fail to outclass Huddersfield and Newcastle at home.

Watching as the club's leadership leaps from the pragmatic Moyes to the expansive Martinez to the dull Koeman to the "gets the club" Unsworth to the firefighter Sam back to the "modern" Silva, betraying their complete lack of forward thinking by getting caught up in a potential tapping up scandal in the process.

Even after all these changes and all the money spent, watching the same spineless performances from a team that "responds" to a derby defeat by scraping home draws against Newcastle and Watford, and "responds" to an embarrassing 6-2 home to defeat by losing the next home game to a side that showed no ambition, taking 74 minutes to register a shot on target in the process.

The fans booed after full time, not during the game, so it's not even like it was counter productive to the teams performance. We're just a pissed off fanbase for a multitude of reasons. Making your displeasure known after another dismal home performance and defeat is perfectly acceptable and doesn't make you an atrocious fanbase.

• Subscriber
52 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Everton fans leaving early or booing the players is nothing new. 

Possibly the worst fans in the world. Never used to be like that mind, just the new generation. 

Everton's atmosphere is abysmal. Never gotten how it's so poor. They in theory should be decent.

16 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Yeah "on its day". Every stadium in the country can generate a better atmosphere than most other grounds do on average "on its day", Goodison included. As an aside, in the derby Anfield was easily one of the worst atmospheres I've seen at one of our games this season for the majority of the match so let's not pretend Anfield, or indeed any stadium, is reliably rocking all of the time.

You can't label an entire fanbase "shit" unless you're one of them and you actually know what they've suffered through. The atmosphere at Anfield was probably similar during the Hodgson months and when things went sour under Rodgers etc. as well.

What have Everton actually given their fans in the last 10 years? Vague promises, false promises, broken promises. Martinez promised Champions League football and delivered back to back bottom half finishes, Moshiri promised to make us relevant again and Koeman and Walsh delivered one vaguely acceptable league campaign and a lesson in how to waste £100m in 30 days, the club at large has promised one of the most exciting new stadia in the country and it's taking them forever to even set any of that in stone.

Why the fuck should the fans be happy? No trophies since 1995 when I was 2 years old yet we continue to play second string sides in the League Cup and probably the FA Cup so that we can get knocked out in the fourth round but at least our key players save themselves for the gruelling festive fixture run where we pick up 5 points in 8 games in the all important scrap for 9th.

Significant investment over a number of transfer windows only to see what should be players good enough to take us to at least 7th fail to outclass Huddersfield and Newcastle at home.

Watching as the club's leadership leaps from the pragmatic Moyes to the expansive Martinez to the dull Koeman to the "gets the club" Unsworth to the firefighter Sam back to the "modern" Silva, betraying their complete lack of forward thinking by getting caught up in a potential tapping up scandal in the process.

Even after all these changes and all the money spent, watching the same spineless performances from a team that "responds" to a derby defeat by scraping home draws against Newcastle and Watford, and "responds" to an embarrassing 6-2 home to defeat by losing the next home game to a side that showed no ambition, taking 74 minutes to register a shot on target in the process.

The fans booed after full time, not during the game, so it's not even like it was counter productive to the teams performance. We're just a pissed off fanbase for a multitude of reasons. Making your displeasure known after another dismal home performance and defeat is perfectly acceptable and doesn't make you an atrocious fanbase.

Crystal Palace haven't won anything for ages either, and that must frustrate the fans.

Yet the atmosphere they create absolutely blinds yours. 

Crystal Palace haven't won anything for ages either, and that must frustrate the fans.

Difference here being their respective expectations.

Difference here being their respective expectations.

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

An absolute laughable comparison. Everton have a history and pedigree comparable to any side in the country bar Liverpool, United and possibly Arsenal, and have resources greater than any other side in the Premier League outside the top six. Expectations are completely different and drifting around mid table letting the rot of mediocrity set into the club year after year, decade after decade now, isn't good enough.

Even the fact that you think Everton and Crystal Palace is a valid comparison is enough to prove my point. I like Palace a lot but they're about the 6th or 7th biggest team in London and our resources dwarf theirs right now. Success for them is surviving in the Premier League.

Crystal Palace and their fans also haven't been promised for about six years now that they're finally going to spend in the market and challenge the top six/four like we have only to see hundreds of millions wasted on shite players, mid table anonymity and early cup exits every year with no consistent long term plan evident either so it's understandable that their fanbase might not be quite as dissatisfied as ours with the situation at their club.

It's no coincidence that when Moyes was in charge and we didn't have the resources to do more than what we were doing, and the club weren't giving the fans exciting soundbites that just proved to be empty promises all the time that the atmospheres at games were much better and our fans moaned a lot less on Twitter and radio phone ins. 

• The title was changed to Everton 0-1 Leicester - Tuesday 1st January, 2019
  • Subscriber

I'm not saying this as a dig but Everton do just seem to have this aura of depression about them as a club. Just seems like they're in a constant cycle of letting the fans down and the fans ultimately being perennially negative about everything. It's understandable why it's happened, it's magnified even more with how well Liverpool are doing, but Goodison is a pretty depressing place these days and it's been that way a while.

15 minutes ago, Harvsky said:

You've got to start to wonder whether there might be something wrong with Silva's training methods given that Watford collapsed off from around the same time under him as well.

Marco Silva has a history of not getting along with the boards of the clubs he works with, with Estoril, his best work to date, being maybe the exception.

He was doing a decent job for Sporting before being sacked for not wearing the club's uniform in a match xD That's something that's not gonna happen unless you've rattled the wrong people at the club.

At Olympiacos he won the Greek league breaking a point and goal record, yet didn't make it to a second season.

At Watford, despite the poor form in the last few games there, they were placed 10th when Silva was sacked. Surely they're not expecting much better than that, unless he was being paid exceptionally high wages that the club found hard to justify. I suspect it got something to do with disagreements with the board again.

Have to say though that his time at Everton so far has been somewhat disappointing not so much in terms of results but the football being played. Then again, like Rando said, Everton are an unique case in English football where it's specially hard to motivate both the fans and the players at a point in the season where, while being a massive club, they can't win any title and an European spot is looking increasingly difficult.

• Subscriber
30 minutes ago, Dan said:

I'm not saying this as a dig but Everton do just seem to have this aura of depression about them as a club. Just seems like they're in a constant cycle of letting the fans down and the fans ultimately being perennially negative about everything. It's understandable why it's happened, it's magnified even more with how well Liverpool are doing, but Goodison is a pretty depressing place these days and it's been that way a while.

I dont think many Everton fans would argue with much of that.

They would take umbrage with being called the worst fans in the world though by a Liverpool fan who blatantly just came in here expecting to get away with making a cheap "kick them while they're down" dig just because the general feeling towards Everton is negative after a defeat.

Gone quiet now that he's been faced with a few facts from outside his red-tinted fantasy bubblegum land has @LFCMadLad.

• Subscriber
7 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

WOW, that's some chomp :rofl:

BOOOOOOOOOO:219_fisherman_fishing_at_a_lake:

Was expecting to see the word rattled so fair play for mixing things up a bit.

I fully expect you'll spend the next few days just sticking to the Liverpool circlejerk/Let's criticise Mourinho threads, and other parts of the forum where you know nobody will challenge you on what you come out with.

1 hour ago, Dan said:

Now say it as a dig to Everton. It’s more fun.

Happy new year Leicester!

25 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Was expecting to see the word rattled so fair play for mixing things up a bit.

I fully expect you'll spend the next few days just sticking to the Liverpool circlejerk/Let's criticise Mourinho threads, and other parts of the forum where you know nobody will challenge you on what you come out with.

Oh fucking chill out you wet wipe, it was only tongue in cheek. Fuck me 9_9

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, LFCMadLad said:

Oh fucking chill out you wet wipe, it was only tongue in cheek. Fuck me 9_9

It's just boring mate. You used to actually make the odd insightful comment when it came to discussing both of our clubs, but I literally can't remember the last time you made a post about Everton that wasn't either a WUM attempt or one of these throwaway negative comments that you try and chuck on the pile after an Everton loss, then if you get called out you just say stuff like "chill out" and "there's a massive chomp". Yet whenever an Everton or United fan has a dig at Klopp or Liverpool, you're among the first to play the "obsessed" card.

I'm chilled right out. It is actually possible to disagree with something someone says without being "rattled" or "biting" or "chomping". It's not like I've gone rabid here just because I'm calling you out on your dumb comment which you tried to back up at first before backtracking and calling it tongue in cheek. Several people have criticised our atmosphere this season, which is fair enough, but I'm not having us bashed as a fanbase by people who watch three Goodison games a year on Sky Sports and are shocked that the New Years Day lunchtime kick-off is a gash atmosphere. So even if you were just arsing about, it seems that a few people on here need reminding why Evertonians have been given every reason to be miserable fucks by the club over the last few seasons.

I have enough gripes with our fans, don't get me wrong, but you can't go and condemn an entire fanbase based on limited evidence like the home crowd not jumping for joy when they lose 6-2 or 1-0, without considering the bigger picture.

Going to have a rabble of Evertonians after me now but I’m not having that Everton are that big of a club. There’s always been stick that red half of Liverpool were stuck in the past but the blues are stuck in the past.

A side who’s average finish over the past twenty-six seasons is 10.64 is not a big club, regardless of its fans opinions. More finishes in the bottom half (13) over that period than finishes in the top seven (11) is a pretty big indicator that the club isn’t big. Even over a ten year period, an average finish of 7.5 is pretty decent really. Four out of ten finishes in that period have led to European Football, so less than have of those seasons and then, a last sixteen defeat is all they have to show for it.

History and tradition is all well and good but Sheffield Wednesday have shedloads of that, Leeds have loads of it and Forest are steeped in it, just to name a few clubs. One trophy in 25 years or so is not bad, I’ll give Everton that. Not many teams have won trophies in the Premier League era, United, Chelsea, Arsenal and City have dominated proceedings and teams like West Ham, Newcastle, Aston Villa etc have won as much or less than Everton and are also pretty big footballing names if you’re talking tradition. 

Everton are just a middle of the road club these days. They’ve gone stale. 

• Subscriber

A nice array of numbers there @Smiley Culture, but none of it really matters or means anything. All it tells you is that Everton are a lot shitter than the big six but a lot better than the rest of the country over the last ten or twenty six years simply on account of being the only other team that's never been relegated.

Everton fans were much happier ten years ago when we had Moyes as manager, played decent football, finished between 6th-9th all the time and never won anything, got to a cup final once.

Nowadays things are moreorless the same in terms of success, but if you look at the money spent on transfers and wages, and the ambitions stated by the board, the club is underachieving and has been since at least the start of last season.

It has nothing to do with us thinking we're a big club or not. You can see from Man City who can't even fill their stadium despite being one of the best teams in the world that success and expectations can be completely detached from club size these days.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived