talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Last movie you watched?

football forum

Yesterday the Fighting with Channing Tatum - 2009

Some good fight scenes (MMA type) though the ending was a little rushed for me.

Today an oldie, Pebbles in the sand - 1966

Never seen it before and was fascinating as set in China circa1926 as China starts turning against the Western imperialist powers and Steve McQueen plays a naval hand on a small US gunboat. Twists and turns makes it a great film up until the violent and sad end. 

• Subscriber

5 Year Engagement - 6.5/10 - Much better then expected, over the top ridiculous at times but just a fun movie with a great cast. Jason Segel and Emily Blunt in the leads with Allison Brie :x and Christ Pratt and Rhys Ifans playing seconds and even Kevin Hart and Mindy Kaling with smaller roles. Light hearted overall and hilarious at times with a fun ending. 

Edited by Viva la FCB

Pig (2021)

A man lives in the wilderness with his truffle pig. The pig gets stolen, and the man wants it back. Doesn't sound special? Well, that man is played by Nicolas Cage. 

Also a lot deeper than I first assumed. Beautifully written, well acted with a nice score. 

7/10

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

• Subscriber
9 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Pig (2021)

A man lives in the wilderness with his truffle pig. The pig gets stolen, and the man wants it back. Doesn't sound special? Well, that man is played by Nicolas Cage. 

Also a lot deeper than I first assumed. Beautifully written, well acted with a nice score. 

7/10

I misread it as "Well, that pig is played by Nicolas Cage" and was really, really confused 😂

• Haha 1

• Subscriber
22 hours ago, Tommy said:

Pig (2021)

7/10

I watched this one last year I want to say? It was a surprisingly really well done story, I went in with less then 0 expectations. All I can say is I cannot wait to watch The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent. 

• Upvote 1

I watched heaps in the last day

1. Avengers End Game - It was fun 6/10
  2. Spiderman (the one with all three spidermans) - It was fun but less fun than Avengers 6/10
  3. Unforgiven - One of the best westerns ever 9/10
  4. Westworld -  Better than the TV show 7/10
  5. Batman with R-Patz - It was too explainy because I hate movies that explain character motivation and plot points; and the Nirvana songs made me laugh but I liked it 7/10

• Subscriber
On 24/04/2022 at 06:58, Spike said:

Unforgiven - One of the best westerns ever 9/10

I am a Clint Eastwood western fan and that film has to be up there beside The Good, The Bad and the Ugly & The Outlaw Josey Wales as the best of the lot

The end scene where he rode back into town, at night time, with rain pissing down and saw his pal Ned Logan (Morgan Freeman) in the coffin and then went into the saloon and blew them all away was awesome and I don't know how many times I have watched that particular scene in a film.

Just going to watch it again... xD

11 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

I am a Clint Eastwood western fan and that film has to be up there beside The Good, The Bad and the Ugly & The Outlaw Josey Wales as the best of the lot

The end scene where he rode back into town, at night time, with rain pissing down and saw his pal Ned Logan (Morgan Freeman) in the coffin and then went into the saloon and blew them all away was awesome and I don't know how many times I have watched that particular scene in a film.

Just going to watch it again... xD

I like the scenes with the Duck of Death, why is an insane royalist going around the US west and killing people? What an intriguing character that ereally only has three scenes

• Subscriber
16 minutes ago, Spike said:

I like the scenes with the Duck of Death, why is an insane royalist going around the US west and killing people? What an intriguing character that ereally only has three scenes

The whole film from start to finish was brilliant, an old gunslinger in Munny trying to mount his horse after years out of the saddle then meeting up with Ned Logan then both getting shot at by the near-sighted Scholfield Kid who ended up in joining them, and the town Sheriff, Daggett, what an evil bastard he was and brilliant acting from Gene Hackman as the latter.

Edited by CaaC (John)
Spacing correction

58 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

The whole film from start to finish was brilliant, an old gunslinger in Munny trying to mount his horse after years out of the saddle then meeting up with Ned Logan then both getting shot at by the near-sighted Scholfield Kid who ended up in joining them, and the town Sheriff, Daggett, what an evil bastard he was and brilliant acting from Gene Hackman as the latter.

Reveal hidden contents

Then you have to ask how evil Gene Hackman really is because is he in fact doing well to keep peace in his town, even if he does awful things. I love how at the start Munny denies his nature as a monster, and the Schofield kid lies to everyone that he is a hard cold killer, but after the bounty is claimed Munny is in full acceptance he is a killer and the kid is fully aware how much he isn’t. It is signalled when both of them are drinking whiskey but with different body language, one is standing and silently waiting, the other sitting and sobbing. The are mirrored opposites of eachother. 

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber

The film has its serious moments mixed with a bit of humour, when they shoot the guy in the outside toilet, he came running out with his pants down. xD

The wife doesn't normally like watching westerns but she watched that with me because one of her favourite actors, Gene Hackman, was acting in it.

I watched it last night as was with Dad, I wanted to watch the remake of True Grit as have seen the Unforgiven at least twice. Dad preferred the Unforgiven and has mild dementia so for him was like a new film.

Gene Hackman character, Little Bill seems to be sending a signal by severely roughing up anyone with a gun in town that does not voluntarily hand it over.

You get the feeling he goes too far and he knows as he says to the badly beaten 'Duck of Death', 'you know if we meet again I'll shoot first.'

Perhaps Little BIll is also sending a message to his sheriffs too about who is boss by being OTT with violence

The Morgan Freeman character not being able to shoot the first target with his Spencer rifle suggesting that some people over time change.

Of course Freeman's character Ned has a wife and Munny's wife is dead left with two young children and fever running through his pigs. Munny has more motivation as he needs the money more though of course with Eastwood we expect him to to be the archetypal hero and he duly obliges.

After killing the second mutilator it is interesting as the young kid is uncomfortable about his role in his first killing and gets a little uncomfortable about Munny as Munny starts expressing strong feelings about Ned's fate. The Kid signed up to kill criminals not go up against the sheriff and so offers his gun and his share of the money to Munny.

Munny realised he might not get back alive and asks the kid to take the money to his kids, get his glasses and tell his kids to give of the rest to Sally Two-Trees. 

The Kid is now uncomfortable around him as he reveals some of his past and a good line when Munny, says 'For Chris-sakes you're the only friend I have.'

A great finale in the bar as Eastwood walks in unnoticed with the shotgun as Little Bill and the others are backslapping themselves on the achievement of ambushing and torturing Ned.

For the first time in the film Little Bill and his posse meet someone on their own terms and are caught off-guard.

• Subscriber

@Spike got me going about Clint Eastwood and the western Unforgiven, well this western with Eastwood is up there with The Good, The Bad and the Ugly & Unforgiven as my top 3 westerns, thanks Spike, just watched it again. :ay:

The Outlaw Josey Wales (1976) - Eastwood, Sandra Locke, Chief Dan George, John Vernon

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

@Spike got me going about Clint Eastwood and the western Unforgiven, well this western with Eastwood is up there with The Good, The Bad and the Ugly & Unforgiven as my top 3 westerns, thanks Spike, just watched it again. :ay:

The Outlaw Josey Wales (1976) - Eastwood, Sandra Locke, Chief Dan George, John Vernon

I have not watched that but I have heard it’s good.

if you like ‘A fistful of dollars’ you should watch ‘Yojimbo’ the samurai movie it is based on. It’s a Kurosawa film to boot

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
15 minutes ago, Spike said:

if you like ‘A fistful of dollars’ you should watch ‘Yojimbo’ the samurai movie it is based on. It’s a Kurosawa film to boot

Just looked that one up, a Japanese Fist Full of Dollars, will put that on my watch list xD

A crafty ronin comes to a town divided by two criminal gangs and decides to play them against each other to free the town.

20 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

Just looked that one up, a Japanese Fist Full of Dollars, will put that on my watch list xD

Hide contents

A crafty ronin comes to a town divided by two criminal gangs and decides to play them against each other to free the town.

Starring Mifune as well, the Japanese Clint Eastwood really. A bit more boisterous but unbelievably charismatic.

Toshiro Mifune - Wikipedia

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber

So last night I ended down a bit of an MCU rabbit hole on YouTube. Ended up subscribing to Disney+ today to watch the last season of The Walking Dead as well as the "Phase 4" Marvel stuff.

I was sort of thinking that after the Infinity War story ended that most of the stuff I've seen advertised following it looks kind of meh, apart from the Tom Holland Spiderman films which I've watched and still find decent.

Anyway, I just watched Black Widow on Disney+ and maybe I was too knackered this evening to appreciate it properly but, yeah, meh. 4/10.

I'm not overly enthused by the mini-series and stuff but I'll probably give them a go.

5 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

So last night I ended down a bit of an MCU rabbit hole on YouTube. Ended up subscribing to Disney+ today to watch the last season of The Walking Dead as well as the "Phase 4" Marvel stuff.

I was sort of thinking that after the Infinity War story ended that most of the stuff I've seen advertised following it looks kind of meh, apart from the Tom Holland Spiderman films which I've watched and still find decent.

Anyway, I just watched Black Widow on Disney+ and maybe I was too knackered this evening to appreciate it properly but, yeah, meh. 4/10.

I'm not overly enthused by the mini-series and stuff but I'll probably give them a go.

4/10 sounds generous from how shot I hear it is