talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

VAR in the Premier League

3 hours ago, Stan said:

Why should it only be feet though?

You can score with other parts of your body and may score with them - so why allow that but not feet?

You’re stood up all game (unless you’re Salah or Mane). I think because you make the runs with your feet, that’s where the offside should be taken from. Being penalised for leaning into a run is just fucking ridiculous in my opinion. 

• Haha 1

On 01/01/2020 at 07:15, DeadLinesman said:

You’re stood up all game (unless you’re Daniel James who VAR actually gave a penalty to for diving because VAR is dogshit). I think because you make the runs with your feet, that’s where the offside should be taken from. Being penalised for leaning into a run is just fucking ridiculous in my opinion. 

Fixed

On 01/01/2020 at 14:51, LFCMike said:

Do any of the other leagues with VAR have this issue with offside? Was listening to something earlier and the point was made that it's all very English this 'let's change the rules because we can't get it right'.

I think all leagues have issues. I don't personally have an issue with the offside var decisions.

On 31/12/2019 at 11:41, Smiley Culture said:

Talk of a “daylight rule” being brought in. That’s complete bollocks, if it happens. If you’re offside, you’re offside, much like if the ball is 1mm over the line, it’s a goal. 

I agree mate. I don't get the issue. If you're offside by 1mm your offside.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.b8c03be5c1eea464fc6a094c888023e2.png

VAR: Premier League referees set to use pitchside monitors

Premier League referees have been told to start using pitchside monitors for decisions where it is felt they should have the final say.

The Professional Game Match Officials Limited, the body that manages elite referees, has issued the guidance.

The only time the monitors have been used this season is by Michael Oliver in an FA Cup third-round tie between Crystal Palace and Derby County.

As a result, he upgraded a yellow card for Palace's Luka Milivojevic to a red.

This is the sort of incident where they are now set to be used in top-flight games.

One case that could potentially be handled differently in future was that of Arsenal forward Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang's sending off against Crystal Palace on 11 January.

Aubameyang, 30, was initially given a yellow card by referee Paul Tierney for a tackle on midfielder Max Meyer, but the decision was changed to a red by the video assistant referee.

It is felt by the Premier League that Tierney should probably have made the final call to confirm his authority and make the decision more likely to be accepted by both players and fans inside the stadium.

The Gunners appealed against the decision but that was rejected on Wednesday, meaning Gabon international Aubameyang will miss Premier League games against Sheffield United and Chelsea, and the FA Cup fourth-round tie at Bournemouth.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51145986

• Administrator

Good - improvement was required in the usage of VAR/pitch-side monitors and now I hope we'll see it. 

I hope it's used wisely and shrewdly though - not for offsides as that shouldn't require an on-pitch referee to verify.

Should be used for red-card incidents and handballs or potential penalty calls etc. 

I'm slowly getting used to VAR to be honest. From a technical standpoint, my biggest issue is the misuse of rules. Having a fingernail or a hand offside is stupid. The rule says that only body parts that can score can be offside. Last time I checked, you can't score with your hand.

The offside rule needs to be feet only though. The current rules may be misread, but it's stupid as it is even with that. 

On 01/01/2020 at 09:51, LFCMike said:

Do any of the other leagues with VAR have this issue with offside? Was listening to something earlier and the point was made that it's all very English this 'let's change the rules because we can't get it right'.

The Copa America had plenty of goals ruled out for this reason. I remember one of Chile's disallowed goal against Colombia was feet onside, but I think it was the shoulder that kept him off. There were many more examples in that tournament alone. 

Personally I prefer football via human instinct but VAR is here to stay and we'll have to get used to it unfortunately.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Vader said:

I'm slowly getting used to VAR to be honest. From a technical standpoint, my biggest issue is the misuse of rules. Having a fingernail or a hand offside is stupid. The rule says that only body parts that can score can be offside. Last time I checked, you can't score with your hand.

The offside rule needs to be feet only though. The current rules may be misread, but it's stupid as it is even with that. 

Well you can’t score with your hand and nobody has ever had a goal disallowed for a hand being offside.

I’ve long advocated feet only for offsides. You shouldn’t be punished for leaning into a run. That’s clever attacking football.

Just now, DeadLinesman said:

Well you can’t score with your hand and nobody has ever had a goal disallowed for a hand being offside.

I’ve long advocated feet only for offsides. You should be punished for leaning into a run. That’s clever attacking football.

I've seen a few people excuse "fingernails" as offside, which you also can't score with. That's just conspiracy though.

To be honest, I thought the rule was feet only being taken into offside. I wasn't aware that it was any part of your body prior to VAR. I never took a deep look into the rulebook, but that can be said about VAR in a lot of ways where we learn obscure rules no one was aware of.

2 minutes ago, Vader said:

I've seen a few people excuse "fingernails" as offside, which you also can't score with. That's just conspiracy though.

To be honest, I thought the rule was feet only being taken into offside. I wasn't aware that it was any part of your body prior to VAR. I never took a deep look into the rulebook, but that can be said about VAR in a lot of ways where we learn obscure rules no one was aware of.

They’re talking absolute bollocks. The head can be used to score with, so imagine leaning into a run and a goal being scored 5 seconds later with your feet. It’s ludicrous.

• Upvote 1

• Administrator
Just now, Vader said:

Always been the case any part of your body can score that can be adjudged offside.

I wouldn't even say the rules were obscure. More just that they probably weren't as emphasised before VAR could check them when goals are in question.

Or the new handball rule (for attackers leading to goals or defenders outside of their 'silhouette').

Also never seen fingernails been excused. A couple of occasions it's 'armpits' (which is fucking stupid if called offside) or 'toenails'.

• The title was changed to VAR in the Premier League
14 minutes ago, Stan said:

Always been the case any part of your body can score that can be adjudged offside.

I wouldn't even say the rules were obscure. More just that they probably weren't as emphasised before VAR could check them when goals are in question.

Or the new handball rule (for attackers leading to goals or defenders outside of their 'silhouette').

Also never seen fingernails been excused. A couple of occasions it's 'armpits' (which is fucking stupid if called offside) or 'toenails'.

I'm aware but I didn't know that at the time. I thought when VAR was introduced that it was a new rule, but obviously that isn't true. As you said, they weren't as emphasized before VAR was a thing.

11 hours ago, DeadLinesman said:

Goals have been ruled out for armpits. 

Anyway, soon enough football will be governed by robots and then everyone who wants everything in football to be perfect will be happy.

I only watch Liverpool games now generally, and that's only because my heart wont let me not. For me the game is being ruined by dickheads making rules up as they go along and technology. I mean come on, would anyone with half a brain really be that bothered if a linesman didnt flag for a player been 3 inch offside? Would they fuck. Just get on with it. Yes mistakes were made before but whats the alternative... this bollocks?

People say "its not VAR that's at fault, it's the rules". Well that's shite as well. Players being millimetres offside would never have been scrutinised before VAR. Neither would every goal scored be checked to make sure everything was perfectly legal. Its absolute bollocks. Stuart Pearce and Graham Souness summed it up well the other day when they said they would have retired at 21 had VAR been brought in then. Most players hate it, most managers hate it, most pundits hate it and I'd say now that the majority of fans hate it.

Just strip football back to how it was, referee mistakes included. Does it really matter if a player scores whilst his left knacker is offside? So what? Get on with it. 

Football was perfectly fine for hundreds of years. Real men fighting tooth and nail on the pitch for their club. Now it's being taken over by complete and utter wet wipes. 

Klopp was bonkers when he first came to Liverpool, running around like a mad man whenever we scored. Proper passion. Now he barely celebrates because by the time VAR has done all its checks the moment has gone.

Fucking wank.

Edited by LFCMadLad

2 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

While I'm in favour of VAR, I do think there is an argument about the 'spirit of the game' when it comes to the most minimal of offsides. But ultimately, it is offside.

Exactly, which isn’t the fault of the technology, but it’s implementation. The offside rule needs looking at and tweaking. Not sure that would require a full backing from UEFA/FIFA though as it’s a change to an actual law of the game?

5 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

Exactly, which isn’t the fault of the technology, but it’s implementation. The offside rule needs looking at and tweaking. Not sure that would require a full backing from UEFA/FIFA though as it’s a change to an actual law of the game?

There's nothing wrong with the rule. The technology isn't good enough at the moment to call the tightest decisions though.

15 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

There's nothing wrong with the rule. The technology isn't good enough at the moment to call the tightest decisions though.

You're contradicting what you just said about goal line technology 

Edited by Cicero

• Administrator
14 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

The technology isn't good enough at the moment to call the tightest decisions though

It's proven that it has? People just don't like how specific it can get?

Just now, Stan said:

It's proven that it has? People just don't like how specific it can get?

He just said that there is no issue with goal line technology because the decisions are black and white. Either the ball is over the line completely or it isn't.

Yet he criticises VAR's offsides because it accurately measures offsides to a point where it does become black and white. If the attacker is ahead of the 2nd to last defender or if he isn't...

Madlad at least put up a fair argument that it takes ages to make a decision as opposed to goal line technology. 

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Cicero said:

He just said that there is no issue with goal line technology because the decisions are black and white. Either the ball is over the line completely or it isn't.

Yet he criticises VAR's offsides because it accurately measures offsides to a point where it does become black and white. If the attacker is ahead of the 2nd to last defender or if he isn't...

Madlad at least put up a fair argument that it takes ages to make a decision as opposed to goal line technology. 

Exactly.

If a ball can be 2mm in front/behind the line then so can a player when it comes to being offside...

5 minutes ago, Cicero said:

I have a lot of issues with VAR as I've made very clear in the past, but for me the biggest issue is the lack of regulation when it comes to timing a decision.

As an example, in the Copa America, Chile got a penalty against Argentina which was about 2-3 minutes after the initial tackle. Maybe a tad exaggerated, don't remember how long it was but it was certainly more than 15-20 seconds. For me a decision needs to be made 15 seconds after at most. Just takes a lot of soul out of the game. We need to keep a balance to make the fans happy. They are the ones who give the money after all.

1 minute ago, Vader said:

I have a lot of issues with VAR as I've made very clear in the past, but for me the biggest issue is the lack of regulation when it comes to timing a decision.

As an example, in the Copa America, Chile got a penalty against Argentina which was about 2-3 minutes after the initial tackle. Maybe a tad exaggerated, don't remember how long it was but it was certainly more than 15-20 seconds. For me a decision needs to be made 15 seconds after at most. Just takes a lot of soul out of the game. We need to keep a balance to make the fans happy. They are the ones who give the money after all.

How do you improve efficiency?

Trial and error.