talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

VAR in the Premier League

On 28/09/2020 at 11:31, DeadLinesman said:

It’s 100% fault of the rules. Again, no other sport has this many issues. 

All sports have issues. It's just football fans are toxic and self entitled 

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Referees have meetings every week to discuss the decisions made and there performance.  They have a point based system which affects what games they referee how much they are paid etc. A lot is put into making sure the standard is improved. Just because not much is publicly said doesn't mean there arent things done.  You really dont have a clue how it works do you. Football referee numbers are actually dropping because they are fed up of the abuse. And rightly so. Fans expect every decision to be right its ridiculous. So your toxic attitude isnt doing anything. And I really would expect better from someone who teaches kids.

Are you really picking this fight again? You're the one who was so desperate to exonerate the officials on Saturday that you were trying to convince everyone that Mane's elbow was actually his shoulder or something.

I can't even argue with you on this because it isn't a matter of opinion anymore. Football is for the fans and no fans are happy with the current standard of officiating and the way games are being affected and dictated by bizarre rule changes and misuse of technology.

If they want some sympathy from those criticising them then they should come out and tell us what they're doing publicly. They don't have to do it but they can't complain about people bemoaning a lack of scrutiny and clarity if they don't share anything with the public. It's because they're not arsed. If they were arsed, they'd do something about it.

Abuse of referees is a completely different kettle of fish to pointing out faults in what they're doing on an internet forum. I'm not calling them a cunt from the sidelines or sending them death threats on social media. In fact, most criticism is currently aimed at the authorities messing with the rules rather than the referees themselves. If we're abusing referees by complaining about VAR then you're abusing me right now by calling me toxic and making insinuations about my job.

I can only assume that you're involved in officiating in some shape or form and that you're passionate about it for that reason. That's fair enough if it's the case, but the majority are never going to share your opinion because the majority are simply football fans, and football fans feel a huge amount of frustration that unnecessary rule changes and their inconsistent implementation bring to the game.

I mean come on, Saturday was the angriest and most competitive Merseyside derby there's been in years and yet Everton and Liverpool fans were (mostly) united in agreeing that disallowed goals like the one they had ruled out at the end is not the way the game is supposed to be.

• Upvote 1

The fact is VAR has been our for over a year and hasn’t actually done anything except manufacture more controversy. It should be binned off until AI referees put the useless bastards we currently have as referees out of a job and they can go get real jobs.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

All sports have issues. It's just football fans are toxic and self entitled 

No sport has had the issues with modern technology introduction anything like football. Self entitled toxic fans don’t make horrendous errors officiating with technology. Referees do.

Fans are much more passionate in England. Which is good but it does mean they arent always looking at things logically. With a few exceptions most fans on here think they are hard done by by referees.  Another problem is pundits not understanding how it works.In ten years no one will care it will just be excepted 

But we have reviews in all sports, and you can't honestly tell me with facts that EPL fans are more passionate than NFL fans, and still we rarely have issues. 

Can you imagine English refs at real jobs though? I can’t because too many obvious errors you do nothing about gets you the sack at most jobs.

I do think step one in fixing English referees is booting that bastard Mike Riley out of football forever. It seriously defies belief that he’s the man in charge of officials in the country. He was one of the worst referees I’ve seen in my life, and he if wasn’t a genuinely shit referee then he was a corrupt fucking bastard.

Just now, Eco said:

But we have reviews in all sports, and you can't honestly tell me with facts that EPL fans are more passionate than NFL fans, and still we rarely have issues. 

EPL fans are a million times more passionate than NFL fans, at least. I’ve never once seen an NFL game with at atmosphere like a football match. The closest is Seattle fans and even then it doesn’t top a good atmosphere in actual football.

American football in college has a closer atmosphere to real football.

1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Can you imagine English refs at real jobs though? I can’t because too many obvious errors you do nothing about gets you the sack at most jobs.

I do think step one in fixing English referees is booting that bastard Mike Riley out of football forever. It seriously defies belief that he’s the man in charge of officials in the country. He was one of the worst referees I’ve seen in my life, and he if wasn’t a genuinely shit referee then he was a corrupt fucking bastard.

Can you imagine a footballer at a real job? If they were make that many mistakes they would be fired 

1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

EPL fans are a million times more passionate than NFL fans, at least. I’ve never once seen an NFL game with at atmosphere like a football match. The closest is Seattle fans and even then it doesn’t top a good atmosphere in actual football.

American football in college has a closer atmosphere to real football.

I agreed at college football is probably the most passionate fanbases here in the States, but I know I'm biased as I went to Alabama. 

Yet we have reviews, and it works. 

Just now, Gunnersauraus said:

Can you imagine a footballer at a real job? If they were make that many mistakes they would be fired 

Nah I can’t imagine a footballer at a real job either tbh.

They’re mostly spoiled man children who have a skewed concept of reality. That’s because of how we bring kids into football though.

Refs don’t have the same excuse. It’s like they’ve just found people who can’t do a good job and said “hey want to fuck up a billion pound industry?”

12 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

No sport has had the issues with modern technology introduction anything like football. Self entitled toxic fans don’t make horrendous errors officiating with technology. Referees do.

Rugby has massive issues with video technology. Tennis cricket sports that should in theory be perfect with video technology have errors. The problem is football fans 

Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

Nah I can’t imagine a footballer at a real job either tbh.

They’re mostly spoiled man children who have a skewed concept of reality. That’s because of how we bring kids into football though.

Refs don’t have the same excuse. It’s like they’ve just found people who can’t do a good job and said “hey want to fuck up a billion pound industry?”

Mate that is so bollocks its unbelievable. Do you know how people try to be referees? Go and have a go since you seem to think you can do a better job?

2 minutes ago, Eco said:

I agreed at college football is probably the most passionate fanbases here in the States, but I know I'm biased as I went to Alabama. 

It works because if the culture.  Respect for the referee. Football doesn't have that 

Just now, Eco said:

Most NFL refs are actually practicing attorneys and it’s actually a long process to move up from officiating kids football to the NFL (because the NFL wants to product the quality of their “product)” - so there’s a fair bit of quality control and they’ve got really intelligent people as officials.

1 minute ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Mate that is so bollocks its unbelievable. Do you know how people try to be referees? Go and have a go since you seem to think you can do a better job?

Nah I have a good job, I’m not going to associate with those low lives.

9 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Rugby has massive issues with video technology. Tennis cricket sports that should in theory be perfect with video technology have errors. The problem is football fans 

I watch Rugby League and Union. It doesn’t. You’re absolving referees of any fault when the league have come out and apologised for higher profile errors. Again, remind me of the last time a football fan officiated a game or was in control of the replays at Stockley Park?

Referees have meetings every week to discuss the decisions made and there performance.  They have a point based system which affects what games they referee how much they are paid etc. A lot is put into making sure the standard is improved. Just because not much is publicly said doesn't mean there arent things done.  You really dont have a clue how it works do you. Football referee numbers are actually dropping because they are fed up of the abuse. And rightly so. Fans expect every decision to be right its ridiculous. So your toxic attitude isnt doing anything. And I really would expect better from someone who teaches kids.

Who do you think you are bringing someone's ability to do their job into a football discussion? 

Fucking muppet.

• Administrator

I think hearing the decisions in real time would genuinely clear things up for a lot of fans in PL. Instead of the reviews and apologies a couple of days later which don't really do anything in reality. Hearing the comms between officials really would help. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Stan said:

I think hearing the decisions in real time would genuinely clear things up for a lot of fans in PL. Instead of the reviews and apologies a couple of days later which don't really do anything in reality. Hearing the comms between officials really would help. 

See that's a lot better than what we have over here... That's what we need, all this hiding away and no comments or justifications for the calls are just causing more issues

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

See that's a lot better than what we have over here... That's what we need, all this hiding away and no comments or justifications for the calls are just causing more issues

Works perfectly in cricket and rugby. Literally everyone in the stadium hears the comms from the third umpire (the VAR official equivalent) as to what the ruling is and process is.

In rugby apparently you can get earpieces in the stadium which link up to the TV comms where the ref speaks to the TV ref. 

It's frustrating in football because commentators doing the game can hear the referee communications and they sometimes announce the decision before the referee has signalled it. 

35 minutes ago, Stan said:

Works perfectly in cricket and rugby. Literally everyone in the stadium hears the comms from the third umpire (the VAR official equivalent) as to what the ruling is and process is.

In rugby apparently you can get earpieces in the stadium which link up to the TV comms where the ref speaks to the TV ref. 

It's frustrating in football because commentators doing the game can hear the referee communications and they sometimes announce the decision before the referee has signalled it. 

Regarding the Hendo goal that was disallowed the commentators literally couldn't believe the decision. 

I totally agree with the 'fans should be able to hear the officials' idea though. Got to better than letting them do whatever they want.