talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Newcastle United Discussion

football forum

It's only going one way at Newcastle, even with their owners incompetence I'm amazed that Bruce is still there. After what was an OK start they've gone into absolute freefall (unbelievable that they've done the double on us) and look set for the bottom three. 

Once the manager starts turning on the players and vice versa there's no way back, the training ground must be fucking toxic. 

You've got to feel sorry for Bruce in the sense that he's running a circus, but he shouldn't have been there in the first place. A massive downgrade on what they had in Benitez, and they won't get something as good for a while. You have to wonder that if they flush again when they're going to break the tradition and stay down, only so many times you can bounce back before just turning into lower league dross.

• Upvote 1

I do not feel sorry for Bruce if these reports are true.

Yes, the biggest issue is the owner and his lackeys. The toxicity around the club won't evaporate until they've gone.

Fighting with the players is bad enough. When they've all turned on you, only a one way trip to the exit door beckons and it looks like that has happened. Particularly as it seems to have turned physical and Bruce is the one who allegedly initiated the physicality. 

However, it is being stated in the reports that many of the leaks from within the club have come from Bruce and that he has watched the players and staff turn on and blame each other for them, staying quiet while doing so. If this is true (and I know it's just alleged right now), this is a new low for a manager and he deserves to be immediately sacked and never to be hired again. This is the very definition of cowardice and the Ritchie's allegation is completely true if this is the case, albeit not in the way he meant it.

I think Bruce's odd behaviour such as his obsession with Benitez (nobody sees Hassenhutl going on about Hughes or Potter going on about Hughton so it's not natural at all) and his easily offended nature is pretty obvious, in fact.

Bruce is a mediocre at best manager with modest career achievements (getting Hull promoted and in the cup final was good) and a mass of failure behind him. He clearly has many friends in the punditry business and media who will defend him no matter what and are flat out fantasist about his managerial career and ability. It's not just one or two. Richard Keys, Mark Lawrenson, Jamie Redknapp, Tim Sherwood, Paul Merson,  Danny Mills, Robbie Savage and Chris Sutton are names I've heard make a sycophantic defense of him off the top of my head and, in some cases, even mock Newcastle's fans for having a different view. They all seem to loathe Benitez.

Bruce just seems to have bought into the hype and fantasy, has allowed his ego to be constantly stroked by his mates and thus spends more time with a chip on his shoulder, boosting his own ego and being ultra sensitive to anyone that doesn't mindlessly stroke his sense of narcissism than anything else. He has the same obsession with Benitez they do. Now, he appears to have lost control of it because the players, probably seeing the damaging effect it's having on their careers, have gotten sick of him and his constant need for positive reinforcement from his mates has come back to bite him.

Newcastle fans have no control of their club - the pundit media do. Even Gary Neville, who is usually good, is on board the Bruce train and Shearer won't go as far as he can either. The only one who's even slightly criticized Bruce is Carragher.

Their main trouble is that Fulham aren't losing right now. Obviously, I hope that changes tonight! 

I think they are in massive trouble and it might be too late to save them. 

Edited by Tar-Mairon
  • Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Steve Bruce Almighty said:

Being a billionaire doesn't mean you're good at all forms of business.

You're rich, you must know what you're doing. No.

Did you listen to the Under the Cosh podcast? Once Carver, Stone, Woodman etc all found out they were getting full pay offs they couldn't wait for the season to end. Woodman's wife cried when Ashley wanted to keep him on.

27 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

Did you listen to the Under the Cosh podcast? Once Carver, Stone, Woodman etc all found out they were getting full pay offs they couldn't wait for the season to end. Woodman's wife cried when Ashley wanted to keep him on.

No but bloody hell.

He might be good at making money off a 6 pack of ankle socks but he is arguably the worst businessman in the Premier League when it comes to football.

When he took over we had the same revenue as Spurs, we are now about £200m behind. There was a point when we were the only club in the league to not grow their commercial revenue in 10 years.

7 minutes ago, Stan said:

I hope he sacked his hairdresser before that photo.

Guilty pleasure, I used to cut my hair like that.

I stopped doing it once I realized that it would no longer be visible after 2 or 3 days, because of how quick it would grow back xD

15 hours ago, Steve Bruce Almighty said:

Sheffield Wednesday finances released. Looks like we might have paid £6.5m for Steve Bruce :4_joy:

How comes you managed to finish on a decent points total last season vs this season under him? Was it just a season of the Steve Bruce "magic", let the lads do what they want and the revel in the freedom before getting bored?

16 minutes ago, Danny said:

How comes you managed to finish on a decent points total last season vs this season under him? Was it just a season of the Steve Bruce "magic", let the lads do what they want and the revel in the freedom before getting bored?

We didn't even remotely deserve a good chuck of the points we got last season. If you took what we deserved we'd probably have gone down or stayed up by a point or two not 10. We got a few late robbery winners after being on the back foot most of a game. A bit like what you see Palace do these days.

Our football did improve in the 2nd half of the season but our points tally actually got worse as we weren't robbing teams blind anymore.

On 09/03/2021 at 17:22, Steve Bruce Almighty said:

Sheffield Wednesday finances released. Looks like we might have paid £6.5m for Steve Bruce :4_joy:

That’s the second highest fee they’ve ever received in the entire clubs history  xD Only topped by a striker from Real Sociedad in the 90’s.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Steve Bruce Almighty said:

We didn't even remotely deserve a good chuck of the points we got last season. If you took what we deserved we'd probably have gone down or stayed up by a point or two not 10. We got a few late robbery winners after being on the back foot most of a game. A bit like what you see Palace do these days.

Outrageous.

• Haha 2

On 04/03/2021 at 11:34, Tar-Mairon said:

I do not feel sorry for Bruce if these reports are true.

Yes, the biggest issue is the owner and his lackeys. The toxicity around the club won't evaporate until they've gone.

Absolutely, but notice the media and journalists and ex players and the lesser ex managers (Pulis, Hughes) blame the FANS for the "toxicity" at the club ? The fans who haven't been at a match for 12 months ?

The fans "ask too much" not to be relegated every 3-4 seasons and be in relegation battles when they aren't. And it's the ONLY club's fans such idiocies are screamed at.

And they were mocked by the same creeps for SUPPORTING Benitez - because they could see what he was doing, despite the bad decisions etc overall picture could be seen. The only overall pic of Bruce is relegation without a quick return, and football so horrendous on the rare occasion media DO see them play, they are horrified, 

Edited by Phil Kennedy

On 10/03/2021 at 08:25, Danny said:

Last year as in usual with a new manager, it took a while for Benitez's football planning to wear off, and there was hope we'd be wrong about Bruce. This season after a number of surprising points we didn't deserve (the 1-1 at Spurs for example) we were getting by with dreadful displays I wouldn't put a Sunderland fan through and never in a Prem game having any better than 35%-65% - even at home, the luck ran out and the players had had enough and the cracks broke open. Occasionally a little bit of info comes out. Danny Rose saying how easy with extra days off training with Bruce had been......

• Upvote 1