talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Newcastle United Discussion

football forum

1 hour ago, Honey Honey said:

What needs to happen is those at the bottom of the squad are sold and we sign new players better than what we've got, but keep the existing.

So Gayle for example 3rd choice striker, let him go sign a new one. 

Whereas if Ashley was around and we wanted a new striker we'd have to sell Wilson not Gayle.

Would say Sean Longstaff, Dwight Gayle, Matt Ritchie and Fernández to be replaced. Maybe Almiron.

It was on NUFCTV live vlog on Youtube yesterday,  many fans are throwing Gabi Jesus's name around a lot,  I posted it in the Man City thread and the City fans here think it is very possible.    That would be a good signing.

I agree we need to clear the dead wood out.

GK:  Gillespie, Darlow

DF: Fernandez, Manquillo, Lascelles (Howe says he wants to keep Lewis)

MF: Hayden, Hendricks, Ritchie.

FW: Gayle

Contentious: Almiron, Murphy, Lewis and Ritchie (as a sign of respect for long service final year is 2023), Shelvey

I will like to keep both longstaff's but try send them on loans to Premier League teams,  Elliot Anderson and Stephenson are absolutely must keep,  White would also be on that list of higher potential prospects. 

Guarenteed:

GK: Debravka, Woodman

DF: Trippier, Krafth, Schar (new deal), Burn, Dummett (new deal), Targett (perm deal), Lewis (Howe is high on him)

MF: Shelvey (not a fan), Matty and Sean Longstaff, Willock, Joelinton7, Bruno.

FW: ASM, Fraser, Murphy, Almiron, Wood, Wilson. 

21 Players

• Administrator

I can't wait for Newcastle to sign a shitload of players for extortionate amounts money and then wonder why things don't go well because they hashed a load of individuals together instead of creating a 'team' of players.

36 minutes ago, Stan said:

I can't wait for Newcastle to sign a shitload of players for extortionate amounts money and then wonder why things don't go well because they hashed a load of individuals together instead of creating a 'team' of players.

You think they'll do that though?

They used their money pretty intelligently in January, imo. Some ambitious signings, but also clearly kept their feet on the ground and didn't reach unrealistically high. And as a result, they sort of really turned things around considering how absolutely shite they were.

I think they'll spend big but they'll probably be signing players that fit into a realistic goal for next season - which could be breaking into the top 6.

• Administrator
15 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

They used their money pretty intelligently in January, imo. Some ambitious signings, but also clearly kept their feet on the ground and didn't reach unrealistically high. And as a result, they sort of really turned things around considering how absolutely shite they were.

I think they'll spend big but they'll probably be signing players that fit into a realistic goal for next season - which could be breaking into the top 6.

It's more in relation to @OrangeKhrush's posts where he thinks they'll buy every single player they're linked with xD 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Stan said:

not once has it been said that everyone will be bought, they are rumours, the difference being the source on the Hojbjerg like claims it is a genuine interest.    

3 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I would say top 7 would be a massive step.   

3 hours ago, OrangeKhrush said:

I would say top 7 would be a massive step.   

Yeah probably, I think you should probably have tiered goals. Realistic and “best case” and a couple of tiers in between.

But given the turnaround Howe’s given Newcastle, I imagine the best case scenario is pretty good. The right kind of signings in the right positions and you’re a fairly decent looking side.

But I think there’s a lot of scenarios where Newcastle could be saying they had a good season next year.

To some extent we've got lucky in January because we were possibly turned down by Dele Alli, Lucas Digne and Donny van de Beek. This summer players like that will say yes, some of them just won't have the right mentality, hard judge.

I don't know whether we will sign Matt Targett but he has been as important as any signing. He's given us a defensive stability. We were a side with no confidence and the defensively stability has allowed confidence to come back.

Though Targett might be one of those situations where we don't sign him because better become available. Difficult decision.

3 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Yeah probably, I think you should probably have tiered goals. Realistic and “best case” and a couple of tiers in between.

But given the turnaround Howe’s given Newcastle, I imagine the best case scenario is pretty good. The right kind of signings in the right positions and you’re a fairly decent looking side.

But I think there’s a lot of scenarios where Newcastle could be saying they had a good season next year.

I think realistically the goal is to break into and stay a comfortable top 10 team ie: stay in the top half all season and not rely on 8 wins in 9 to get out of a relegation scrap.

Pierre Emile Hojbjerg is exactly the kind of player we need.  He is a bit of a midfield love to type that cleans up counters and helps maintain an attacking press.   His passing is also a lot better than Jon Jo.    If spurs want 30m for him I will rather pay for someone with recent success than rely on Yves Bissouma and Phillips whom have had average seasons

3 minutes ago, Honey Honey said:

To some extent we've got lucky in January because we were possibly turned down by Dele Alli, Lucas Digne and Donny van de Beek. This summer players like that will say yes, some of them just won't have the right mentality, hard judge.

I don't know whether we will sign Matt Targett but he has been as important as any signing. He's given us a defensive stability. We were a side with no confidence and the defensively stability has allowed confidence to come back.

Though Targett might be one of those situations where we don't sign him because better become available. Difficult decision.

we also missed out on players that would have helped like Sangare from PSV, Botman and Carlos.   

• Administrator
8 hours ago, OrangeKhrush said:

not once has it been said that everyone will be bought, they are rumours, the difference being the source on the Hojbjerg like claims it is a genuine interest.    

Yeah but you seem to believe all of them. 

26 minutes ago, OrangeKhrush said:

we also missed out on players that would have helped like Sangare from PSV, Botman and Carlos.   

Think we are also fortunate we didn't sign Botman or Carlos now. Schar has been able to rediscover his form and will now be vital squad member. Centre back in the summer yes, in January might not have went as well

15 hours ago, Stan said:

Unfortunately I think the arrival of Bruno in January shows they're well versed in the recruiting department. I thought he was a sure grab for one of the sides competing for fourth this summer.

3 hours ago, Honey Honey said:

Whilst this team have exceeded expectations I still think you need to be ruthless in moving players and staff on to break in to the top eight as quickly as possible. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

Whilst this team have exceeded expectations I still think you need to be ruthless in moving players and staff on to break in to the top eight as quickly as possible. 

To an extent I think that’s true, but part of me feels Howe’s done an incredible job with the players already at the club.

He signed what, 3 players in January? I don’t think their turnaround in form is wholly down to bringing in these players (but I do think these signings have made a significant impact for them). Especially Trippier who’s spent a chunk of the season injured.

I think the most remarkable thing about the turnaround is there’s players at Newcastle that I thought were dogshit… that have spent the past few months proving they’ve got decent quality.

And whoever decided Joellinton should be playing in midfield rather than as a striker deserves a big raise.

But ultimately I agree with you, Howe and co. will be wanting to bringing higher quality players in. But I’m not so sure as many players need to be cleared out of Newcastle as I previously had thought. If they can push some of their current starters into squad roles rather than nailed on starters & bring in the right players… they could have some serious depth.

I thought Howe would be a mistake because of his defensive record but he’s basically come in and been the opposite of what I expected he’d be… while still playing positive football.

I think @Honey Honey & @OrangeKhrush have lots of reasons to be excited about the future of the club.

• Subscriber
22 hours ago, Stan said:

I don't know if Newcastle's owners are looking to sell up to Farhad Moshiri this early.

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

To an extent I think that’s true, but part of me feels Howe’s done an incredible job with the players already at the club.

He signed what, 3 players in January? I don’t think their turnaround in form is wholly down to bringing in these players (but I do think these signings have made a significant impact for them). Especially Trippier who’s spent a chunk of the season injured.

I think the most remarkable thing about the turnaround is there’s players at Newcastle that I thought were dogshit… that have spent the past few months proving they’ve got decent quality.

And whoever decided Joellinton should be playing in midfield rather than as a striker deserves a big raise.

But ultimately I agree with you, Howe and co. will be wanting to bringing higher quality players in. But I’m not so sure as many players need to be cleared out of Newcastle as I previously had thought. If they can push some of their current starters into squad roles rather than nailed on starters & bring in the right players… they could have some serious depth.

I thought Howe would be a mistake because of his defensive record but he’s basically come in and been the opposite of what I expected he’d be… while still playing positive football.

I think @Honey Honey & @OrangeKhrush have lots of reasons to be excited about the future of the club.

I am against a full upheaval for now;

Out:

Darlow

Woodman

Dummett (possibly getting a 1 year extension)

Lascelles (he is currently the captain  but has fallen down the pecking order)

Clark 

Fernandez

Ritchie 

Hendricks

Hayden

Gayle

All bar Lascelles are surplus to requirements. 

• 3 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, OrangeKhrush said:

Looks like we will be paying Brighton 3m to release Dan Ashworth earlier from 1 June 2022.   We will also have a new sponsor by June. 

Oh.. the old oil club "we have a new massive sponsor" chestnut xD

3 minutes ago, Cicero said:

You do realise your success under Klopp is down to the sheer existence of the very oil clubs you dislike, right?

I'd say our success is down to the  sheer brilliance of Klopp himself and his backroom staff.

3 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

I'd say our success is down to the  sheer brilliance of Klopp himself and his backroom staff.

Allison, VVD, Salah, Fabinho, and Keita doesn't happen if PSG didn't buy Neymar. To which the likes of Diaz and Konate wouldn't happen given the money you attributed to the success of having Allison, VVD, Salah, Fabinho, and Keita. 

You've benefited quite handsomely from the sheer thing you've made no secrete to hate. 

Edited by Cicero