talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Newcastle United Discussion

football forum

56 minutes ago, Waylander said:

Benitez didn't get a full season at Chelsea, he did get them playing some entertaining football. The issue was a fair contingent could not forgive for a statement he made about Chelsea while at Liverpool.

The question is does he still have the drive and ideas?

Already unofficially ruled out coming back.

Today's bookies favourite is Lucien Favre. Not sure who tomorrow's will be.

Basically the new board haven't planned. They didn't expect the takeover to happen until January. 

Some say it'll be a director of football first who will then find a manager. Rather than Staveley and Jamie Rueben. 

Allardyce has already been on the radio moaning that Bruce is going to be replaced by "a foreign" :4_joy:

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, The Premier Steve's said:

Already unofficially ruled out coming back.

Today's bookies favourite is Lucien Favre. Not sure who tomorrow's will be.

Basically the new board haven't planned. They didn't expect the takeover to happen until January. 

Some say it'll be a director of football first who will then find a manager. Rather than Staveley and Jamie Rueben. 

Allardyce has already been on the radio moaning that Bruce is going to be replaced by "a foreign" :4_joy:

I think alardybe has a point with mid table clubs. I mean someone like dyche or Howe have done more than enough to get a job with a mid table club. And I do think at times clubs do go for foreign coaches when there are good english coaches available. However at the same time there are jobs available abroad. Foreign coaches go to different countries all the time so I don't think it is as much of an excuse as he makes out. Owners aren't there to give English coaches experience they are there to get the best coach they can. As for Newcastle they will do the same. I think questions will be asked though if they get a foreign coach with not much pedigree when someone like Howe is available however like I said it's not their job to give English managers work experience

That would be poor. 

Last season was a perfect example of how inexperienced Lampard was managing a club with high expectations. It also showed how inexperienced he was in building a team. 

He's still finding his way in what he wants in his football and his biggest weaknesses as a manager is setting up the team in defensive transition. Poor tactical defensive structure that led us concede far too many goals. 

No. Newcastle should avoid. 

Edited by Cicero

Ok, I'm just gonna chuck this out there.

I actually wondered whether there was a small chance they might look at Gareth Southgate.

The FA haven't offered him a new deal yet, currently runs to end of the World Cup next year. His stock has probably risen during his time with England enough to be considered for certain big roles, such as Newcastle and what's going on there.

Fully appreciate he isn't just going to walk away from the World Cup with a year to go, it's what he's ultimately built towards after all, but it feels like that might be his last stab at a tournament before wanting to go back into club management.

Makes you wonder if they would possibly come to some arrangement where they stick someone in as interim boss until Southgate becomes available. Graeme Jones is obviously a coach there now, knows the players, and he's worked with Southgate in the England set up. It could be a seamless transition. They may not want to go with a big bang approach straight away.

I don't know, may not be the case either but I'm just chucking it out there. Could be one potential thought. 

Could you envisage Southgate there? I definitely think I could. And if they do target some English players, they would be well aware he'd know a lot about them.

I think it might split the fanbase though expecting a bigger name with more credentials.

Edited by Lucas

1 hour ago, Lucas said:

Ok, I'm just gonna chuck this out there.

I actually wondered whether there was a small chance they might look at Gareth Southgate.

The FA haven't offered him a new deal yet, currently runs to end of the World Cup next year. His stock has probably risen during his time with England enough to be considered for certain big roles, such as Newcastle and what's going on there.

Fully appreciate he isn't just going to walk away from the World Cup with a year to go, it's what he's ultimately built towards after all, but it feels like that might be his last stab at a tournament before wanting to go back into club management.

Makes you wonder if they would possibly come to some arrangement where they stick someone in as interim boss until Southgate becomes available. Graeme Jones is obviously a coach there now, knows the players, and he's worked with Southgate in the England set up. It could be a seamless transition. They may not want to go with a big bang approach straight away.

I don't know, may not be the case either but I'm just chucking it out there. Could be one potential thought. 

Could you envisage Southgate there? I definitely think I could. And if they do target some English players, they would be well aware he'd know a lot about them.

I think it might split the fanbase though expecting a bigger name with more credentials.

I think England is probably going to be the peak of Southgate's managerial career. Tbh, I don't think he's a great tactician or anything, I think that's his biggest weakness... and in top flight club football, I think that's a considerable flaw to have in a manager - even though I think he's done a number of things right as England manager.

I think Lampard's a bit of a weird choice too. He seemed to do better at Chelsea when he was completely unable to make changes to the squad and once he spent money it felt as though he wasn't quite sure how to get the best out of the squad he assembled.

I think if they can get someone like Rodgers in, up until they're around CL qualifying positions or around then... and then look for someone who can turn the corner (assuming Rodgers doesn't eventually learn how to turn the corner himself) I think that would be their best bet.

I think Newcastle need to put people in place that can get them to the next level and then be ruthless in getting them out. Getting in to the top 6/8 will be more difficult for them than it was for Man City getting in to the top five back in 2009. They cannot be loyal if they have hefty ambitions.

Lampard did a good enough job getting Chelsea through a difficult period but once Chelsea returned to signing an abundance of World Class players they quite rightly employed a World Class Manager to achieve World Class results. Ole's done a good job restoring Manchester United's identity but now they have Sancho, Varane and Ronaldo people are going to rightly question if he should have gone after the Villareal defeat if they keep regressing on the pitch.

I'd take this logic to the pitch too. James Tarkowski is available on a free next summer at 29 years old, bring him in to partner Lascelles or another for two years then get him out.

• Upvote 2

If the goal is champions league or even more than that then I do think highly likely whoever comes in now will need to be sacked in a couple of years when they inevitably peak and we need next level. As what happened to Mark Hughes at Man City.

Unless some miracle happens and Conte actually wants the job now.

New owners or not I'd want a progressive manager on the right side of the games direction. We haven't had one of those in a long time.

• Upvote 1

There's something that makes me think Conte would weirdly like taking over a club which is almost starting from scratch and is ready to revamp the whole squad. 

Normally the put-off is that there are too many players at a club who don't fit his system, and almost nobody wants to rebuild their entire squad to the whim of an uncompromising, hyper-competitive psycho who plays 3-5-2.

3 hours ago, Inverted said:

There's something that makes me think Conte would weirdly like taking over a club which is almost starting from scratch and is ready to revamp the whole squad. 

Normally the put-off is that there are too many players at a club who don't fit his system, and almost nobody wants to rebuild their entire squad to the whim of an uncompromising, hyper-competitive psycho who plays 3-5-2.

That IS what they have in mind. Ashley and his choice of managers ran the club on survival is sufficient and only monies spent are on promising players that can be sold on at a whopping profit. And he did. Football was awful to watch - an example proves the entirety. Brighton at home last year.  Less than 30% possession lost 0-3. And that wasn't a one off. The only time we had 50% or more was against Morecombe for God's sake. The 30% was as common at home as away

A complete overhaul is needed, taking Man City's example may well be the way.