talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Manchester United Discussion

football forum

I think United are in a real key season that will dictate how good or bad the next 3/4 years at the club will be. They need to make the decision about whether Ten Haag is the man for the job or not, they’re about to go into 6 months of games where they will have no real fixture congestion as they are out of all forms of Europe and will likely see key squad members return from injury. Personally I wouldn’t sign a player for Ten Haag and would ask him to make best use out of the current squad and see where that ends up come April/May.

The reason being that so many players contracts end this year or next.

2024:

Wan-Bissaka

Evans

Lindelof

Martial

2025:

Varane

Maguire

van de Beek

Eriksen

Within two seasons they will need to and want to bring in at least three centre backs, a right back, a couple midfielders and a centre forward. That potentially could be the spine of a future team signed between the coming Summer and the one following.

So far Ten Haag’s transfers haven’t been anywhere near good enough and you have to question the quality of players he will bring in when those windows arrive. I think the next 6 months he needs to prove that not only is he capable of getting a tune out of this team, but that the 9 or so players that he has spent a generous sum of money on are actually capable of leading United into a future that means catching up with Liverpool, Arsenal and City. Because if he can’t, United cannot waste the next 4 windows signing mediocre players that will lead the club into another 3/5 year slump with players on high wages and the fans just waiting for their contracts to end.

This is the position Arsenal found themselves in with Arteta, a bloated squad full of overpaid players who had no desire to win. Arsenal managed to send those players packing but more importantly bought diligently in transfer market and nearly every player they ended up signing contributed quite heavily to the upturn in form and Arsenal now being title challengers.

It’s either that future for United or just carry on reliving the same old groundhog day they lived since Moyes took over.

I didn't even bother watching the game yesterday, and I can't remember when I missed a game for no reason.  The club from the ownership to the stadium, the training facilities to the product on the field is substandard.  It needs an investment of billions of £'s and a major clear out and I just can't see that happening.   I really fear that I will never see United win the Premier or the Champions League in my lifetime again.

• 2 weeks later...

Not extending Varane's contract, sensible decision by the club. Paying a guy the best part of half a million a week and he missus so many games would be total madness.

https://twittter.com/SkySportsPL/status/1743000101763657960?s=20

Wow. 

This is exactly what the Abramovich administration did at Chelsea. Kept extending contracts of your Batshuayis and your Barkleys thinking somehow their value would increase & Chelsea could sell them for decent money.

Triggering a one year extension on players like AWB and Lindelof is one thing. But they  literally cannot give Martial away given the evidence of the last few years. He has no value to from a transfer sense. I’m surprised that this kind of thing is happening in this interim period until ineos complete. Unless they’ve sanctioned it in which case United are totally screwed.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Palace Fan said:

https://twittter.com/SkySportsPL/status/1743000101763657960?s=20

Wow. 

This is exactly what the Abramovich administration did at Chelsea. Kept extending contracts of your Batshuayis and your Barkleys thinking somehow their value would increase & Chelsea could sell them for decent money.

Triggering a one year extension on players like AWB and Lindelof is one thing. But they  literally cannot give Martial away given the evidence of the last few years. He has no value to from a transfer sense. I’m surprised that this kind of thing is happening in this interim period until ineos complete. Unless they’ve sanctioned it in which case United are totally screwed.

AWB and Lindelof will more than likely moved on in the summer, I suspect we will get low transfer fees for both players and we'd rather that than lose both for free. Martial is a special case really, they've messed up big time giving him a massive deal off the back of a good period when his contract was up for renewal last time. He knows himself it's the end of the road this time round, he no longer has the ability to lift his game to secure a new deal so has accepted he's going this window or in the summer. United want him gone in January, whether we get a Saudi team come in is the only way we will fully offset his wages, if he want's a European club I think we will pay a portion of his salary for the next 6 months. Either way he's going in January, they wouldn't have played without cover for Hojlund all Christmas if he wasn't. Varane is the same, he's on nearly half a million a week and we've been lucky to get half a seasons worth of games out of him each season. It would make zero sense to sign him back on a deal near that figure. Unless he takes hugely reduced terms I think he will be leaving on a free transfer as well.

Ineos look like they are getting things in shape to be fair as I suspect Varane would have been extend otherwise. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Devil said:

United want him gone in January, whether we get a Saudi team come in is the only way we will fully offset his wages, if he want's a European club I think we will pay a portion of his salary for the next 6 months. Either way he's going in January, they wouldn't have played without cover for Hojlund all Christmas if he wasn't. Varane is the same, he's on nearly half a million a week and we've been lucky to get half a seasons worth of games out of him each season. It would make zero sense to sign him back on a deal near that figure.

If you want to sell them in the next 28 days, why are the club in contract negotiations?

49 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

If you want to sell them in the next 28 days, why are the club in contract negotiations?

Which players are you actually talking about the tweet link doesn't open for me. If it's AWB and Lindelof it's a triggered one year deal based on their current contract. 

Varane and Martial are out of contract and not having their one year option triggered, which would make total sense for us to sell in January. 

1 hour ago, Devil said:

Which players are you actually talking about the tweet link doesn't open for me. If it's AWB and Lindelof it's a triggered one year deal based on their current contract. 

Varane and Martial are out of contract and not having their one year option triggered, which would make total sense for us to sell in January. 

Varane and Martial.

https://metro.co.uk/2024/01/04/erik-ten-hag-confirms-man-utd-contract-talks-raphael-varane-anthony-martial-20065589/

2 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

Talk sport cleared that up earlier, Varane they are hoping to get him to take hugely reduced terms but Martial was a mistake on ETH part. The club have zero intention to offer him any sort of contract. 

• 2 weeks later...

Never heard of him to be fair. Hopefully he can sort the shitshow out and start shifting the jokers that have been destroying the club over the last ten plus years. 

Starting with whoever has been rubber stamping the transfers. Whoever sanctioned the signing of Antony needs sacking straight away.

On 20/01/2024 at 12:05, Devil said:

Never heard of him to be fair. Hopefully he can sort the shitshow out and start shifting the jokers that have been destroying the club over the last ten plus years. 

Starting with whoever has been rubber stamping the transfers. Whoever sanctioned the signing of Antony needs sacking straight away.

Wasn’t Antony someone the manager really wanted?

8 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Wasn’t Antony someone the manager really wanted?

Yes, he should be adjudged to have made a mistake with the Antony signing but someone above him should take responsibility for the transfer fee. Surely a club of the size of Manchester United should have nearly every player across Europe scouted and valued. 

Someone should have been saying to ETH, the maximum fee for this player is X amount. Whoever came up with 80 million pounds plus needs sacking. You can't just overpay by 60 million for a player and not be judged for it. 

On 20/01/2024 at 14:36, Dr Boris Gobshite said:

This is the guy that was in charge of sponsorships at City at the time the 115 charges relate to. If City are found guilty he's 100% in the firing line, possibly on fraud charges.

Welcome back. 

This is a no nonsense type appointment United have needed for a long time. I think had they appointed him in the summer, Mount, Hojland, and Onana probably wouldn't of happened. Clear as day ten Hag needs less power handling transfers. 

Andre Onana dropped from the Cameroon starting eleven as they progress to the next round thanks to a last minute winner. 

So he's turned up late for the tournament, had an absolute nightmare game and been dropped for their reserve keeper. 

The Athletic reported that Marcus Rashford had been out in a Belfast nightclub and then called in sick for training.

Plainly doesn't care anymore and doesn't want to play for ETH.

Will be interesting to see if INEOS want him off the books as home grown player sales generate good profit for FFP/PSR.

• Upvote 1