talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Manchester United Discussion

football forum

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Former Newcastle United sporting director Dan Ashworth, who is now at Manchester United, has been hurt by criticism from Paul Mitchell, his successor at St James’ Park, who has said the club’s transfer structure was “not fit for purpose”.

• 3 weeks later...

Bizarre that McCarthy thinks Ten Hag tactically 'is at the top' and just a bit of passion from him will solve United's issues. Tactically they're awful and seems to be the same issues happening again and again for the last two years. 

Jim Ratcliffe on if he still has faith in Ten Hag: "I don't want to answer that question"

Jim Ratcliffe on Ten Hag's future at Man Utd: "Not my call"

Doesn't sound like he's a fan... Probably the wrong things to say as well if Ten Hag's sticking around.

On 02/10/2024 at 05:02, LFCMike said:

Bizarre that McCarthy thinks Ten Hag tactically 'is at the top' and just a bit of passion from him will solve United's issues. Tactically they're awful and seems to be the same issues happening again and again for the last two years. 

I think he’s their worst manager in the post-Ferguson era of United. So I hope he stays for a very long time.

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I think he’s their worst manager in the post-Ferguson era of United. So I hope he stays for a very long time.

Is he worse than Rangnick? Solskjaer? Moyes? There's quite a selection xD. Mourinho is the only one who's really done alright for a bit with them. Van Gaal was shite as well.

20 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Is he worse than Rangnick? Solskjaer? Moyes? There's quite a selection xD. Mourinho is the only one who's really done alright for a bit with them. Van Gaal was shite as well.

I forgot about Rangnick. I do think he’s worse than Solskjaer, Moyes, & Van Gaal though. I don’t think Moyes really got a fair shake with them - although he was an idiot for tearing up Ferguson’s back room staff.

Solskjaer was limited tactically but United had some identity at least. Mourinho’s a football terrorist but I genuinely think he wasn’t joking when he said one of his biggest achievements in management was getting that shit squad to 2nd place. Van Gaal you could at least take more seriously than Ten Hag.

Ultimately the biggest problem at United is probably not the manager - it’s the players. 10 years of bad recruitment, being shit at moving on deadwood, and too many players with shit attitudes (idk how Bruno Fernandes can captain them with his dogshit attitude) are the biggest problems.

You couple that with Ten Hag being seemingly useless at recruitment, looks like a poor man manager, and having shit tactics… and I genuinely think he’s been the worst - or one of the worst - managers United have had in their banter era.

• Subscriber
58 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I forgot about Rangnick. I do think he’s worse than Solskjaer, Moyes, & Van Gaal though. I don’t think Moyes really got a fair shake with them - although he was an idiot for tearing up Ferguson’s back room staff.

Solskjaer was limited tactically but United had some identity at least. Mourinho’s a football terrorist but I genuinely think he wasn’t joking when he said one of his biggest achievements in management was getting that shit squad to 2nd place. Van Gaal you could at least take more seriously than Ten Hag.

Ultimately the biggest problem at United is probably not the manager - it’s the players. 10 years of bad recruitment, being shit at moving on deadwood, and too many players with shit attitudes (idk how Bruno Fernandes can captain them with his dogshit attitude) are the biggest problems.

You couple that with Ten Hag being seemingly useless at recruitment, looks like a poor man manager, and having shit tactics… and I genuinely think he’s been the worst - or one of the worst - managers United have had in their banter era.

The Pogba transfer broke Man Utd in my opinion. You could see they paid in part for the brand and not all for the footballer. He's the signing that brought the celebrity culture to the dressing room and I don't think they've ever shaken it off. I remember thinking at the time that's not how Man Utd normally do business. I think they have many players who would be class at City, Liverpool or Arsenal but it's been so long since anyone at Man Utd knew how to guide talent that there's no expertise there anymore. You need more than just a good coach. You need a Guardiola or Klopp type character to come and reshape the entire culture but even if they employed one I don't think they'd be allowed to do what's necessary at that football club and any manager like that worth their salt wouldn't go there anyway. You could list all of the problems there all day but that's certainly one part of it.

• Upvote 1

There's an argument that, post Ferguson, this is just Man Utd returning to normality. Their history isn't exactly littered with successful managerial appointments. Obviously the two big ones were hugely successful but outside of that it's a few managers who have won the odd cup.