talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Liverpool 0-0 Man Utd - Sunday 17th January, 2021

football forum

That was shit. Would've taken a draw before kick-off to be honest but I've just lost 2 hours of my life to an absolute dog of a game.

We look so toothless and disjointed in attack. The only chances we had were snapshots falling to Firmino and that's just not a sustainable plan of attack with his finishing. I thought Shaqiri might bring something different, but he didn't have the best game. That's what you get with him though and you just kind of have to accept he'll give the ball away cheaply sometimes in return for the odd moment of magic. No magic today. Salah and Mane were largely crowded out and Thiago didn't really influence anything.

2 weeks to find a centre back. Won't fix everything, but we'll be able to play on the front foot a bit more and do more of the suffocating we used to be known for. At this point, though, we've been shite for so long that all confidence and rhythm is shot to bits. Could take a while to get that back

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

That was shit. Would've taken a draw before kick-off to be honest but I've just lost 2 hours of my life to an absolute dog of a game.

We look so toothless and disjointed in attack. The only chances we had were snapshots falling to Firmino and that's just not a sustainable plan of attack with his finishing. I thought Shaqiri might bring something different, but he didn't have the best game. That's what you get with him though and you just kind of have to accept he'll give the ball away cheaply sometimes in return for the odd moment of magic. No magic today. Salah and Mane were largely crowded out and Thiago didn't really influence anything.

2 weeks to find a centre back. Won't fix everything, but we'll be able to play on the front foot a bit more and do more of the suffocating we used to be known for. At this point, though, we've been shite for so long that all confidence and rhythm is shot to bits. Could take a while to get that back

Still gonna get people adamant we don’t need a CB, which is mad to me. I really hope Klopp & the club haven’t got this thinking. 

And my god how we need Jota right now, how far away is he?

2 minutes ago, Rick said:

Still gonna get people adamant we don’t need a CB, which is mad to me. I really hope Klopp & the club haven’t got this thinking. 

I’d say you need a CB, only to free up Henderson or Fabinho to influence your midfield.

• The title was changed to Liverpool 0-0 Man Utd - Sunday 17th January, 2021
15 minutes ago, Rick said:

I don't think anyone is adamant we don't need a CB. Just who is available and how what would affect any summer business Liverpool are looking to do. 

The talk for Jota was end of the month or early Feb I think

7 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

I’d say you need a CB, only to free up Henderson or Fabinho to influence your midfield.

We need a decent CB with pace so we can play with a higher line again, along with putting either one of our better midfielders back in the midfield. Playing with a deeper line affects our high press, which played a big part in chance creation. Because now while we’re creating chances, they’re substantially lower quality than what we’ve been used to for the last few years.

We’re easy to defend against, for the most part (although I thought United defended really well today tbh, taking no credit from your back 4 for this match). Low blocks don’t go well with us defending way deeper - it’s easier for teams to get back into shape if we’re countering when we defend as deep. We rely on Trent & Robertson for so much of our chance creation that playing a more conservative style... it hurts us.

It shows that how much of our quality isn’t just from having very good players (which we do, otherwise I don’t think we’d still be contending playing kids & midfielders at the back) - but it’s also how much of a finely tuned machine Klopp built over the seasons. And when we’ve had to make necessary adjustments because of injuries it’s affected us all over, at the back, midfield, and attack.

We’ve either got to make signings or work really hard at righting the ship, otherwise I think we’ll see more and more results and performances like the last few weeks.

24 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

I don't think anyone is adamant we don't need a CB. Just who is available and how what would affect any summer business Liverpool are looking to do. 

This has been said time and time again. 

People think its easy to just go out and buy a player. Doesnt matter about anything else, just buy one. 

Not one single person on here has said we don't need a CB yet after every game we get comments like above.

It's like kindergarten. 

1 minute ago, LFCMadLad said:

This has been said time and time again. 

People think its easy to just go out and buy a player. Doesnt matter about anything else, just buy one. 

Not one single person on here has said we don't need a CB yet after every game we get comments like above.

It's like kindergarten. 

You’ve said numerous times that you don’t want a centre back and that we should trust the kids, so don’t try and twist it now. 

Draw isn't bad but am pissed off because we stopped them from creating a single chance and had 2 we should have buried. 

Fucking Rashford when he ran through the middle. Didn't have the confidence to run it though the middle and didn't have the brain to pick out Cavani who went mental. 

• Subscriber

Poor game but we should have seen that coming. Not the first time we've seen the media over hype this game only to see that both teams are fairly satisfied with a point, and it won't be the last.

Felt like Man Utd who should have nicked it really. They were poor with their decision making on the break, but Fernandes and Pogba both should have scored late on. Alisson does well to make himself big on both occasions but they've hit them straight at him as well. Fernandes, Rashford, Pogba, Martial all largely underperformed for me.

I'll be interested to see how Thiago develops. There's been some weird shouts about how good he is when we've barely seen him play. Talksport (yes I know) tweeted at half time asking whether he was the best midfielder in the Premier League and it wasn't just Liverpool fans in the comments saying yes he is better than Fernandes and De Bruyne. Let's wait and see him deliver in this league first. Yes I know he's done it in the Bundesliga and the Champions League but so has Werner. Give it some time. He looked excellent against us in the derby but today he didn't really shine. I think Liverpool would have been better served with a Henderson/Fabinho/Wijnaldum midfield three today to up the intensity and push Man Utd back, had they been able to do that. I think we'll see Thiago flourish more in different games where they're dominating already and need a man to dictate play and create from deeper.

19 minutes ago, Rick said:

You’ve said numerous times that you don’t want a centre back and that we should trust the kids, so don’t try and twist it now. 

To be fair, I think he's changed his tune, as have I, as it's become apparent the other two aren't good enough. 

8 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

To be fair, I think he's changed his tune, as have I, as it's become apparent the other two aren't good enough. 

What I've said all along though is that we can't just go out and buy anyone. There are many reasons why and I'm not going to go through them all yet again.

9 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

What I've said all along though is that we can't just go out and buy anyone. There are many reasons why and I'm not going to go through them all yet again.

But again, show me the evidence of me, Gonzo or Burning Gold screaming for us to go out and get anybody, regardless of price. Nobody has done that. But don’t tell me there are no option out there who can fill in for half a season, because there are. Sokratis is better than both the young lads, and has experience of playing in a Klopp side, so what’s wrong with suggesting he could come in and help us out in this dire situation? 

1 hour ago, DeadLinesman said:

Of course. Some people going on about how our defence would suffer without VVD, Gomez and Matip, which is obviously true. 

But the biggest problem is that our best midfielders couldn't play in midfield, we have the best two creative fullbacks in the world but they can't play their normal game due to having more defensive responsibilities, even attacking midfielders like Thiago have to show more caution. Our forwards not getting the chances they would normally get.

Missing CB's ...........just a start to a domino effect throughout the team.

50 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

The talk for Jota was end of the month or early Feb I think

What about how not buying a centre back would affect our summer business? We currently sit in 4th; 5th if Everton win their game in hand. Can't remember how much money we get for qualifying for the Champions League, but it'll be a very significant sum following a season in which we've sold a total of, what, 6,000 tickets? We'll get nowhere near the Champions League places playing like this and then we'll be shopping in the bargain bin most likely

I fully accept it's difficult to get a deal done in January, but that doesn't change the fact we'll get nowhere without signing someone. You don't get points for whining that teams don't want to sell starting players in January or that some players don't want to have to compete with VVD and Gomez when they come back next season.  Michael Edwards and the scouting department are paid to identify and sign targets and we've known about our CB situation for 3 months now. Time to earn it

If there genuinely is no one suitable, then it is what it is, but we really don't need a van Dijk or a Gomez to make this team significantly better, so I'd be stunned if that were the case

So what do we do with this new player when VVD, Gomez and Matip are fit? How do we pursued a club to sell us a decent CB half way through a season without paying way over the odds? How do we pursued a player to come here knowing that he ain't playing in 3 or 4 months time? How do we get a decent CB for a decent price when everyone and his dog knows we are desperate? Moneynis tight for everyone at the moment, we ain't paying over the odds for a player that we won't even need in a few months. 

Come on lads fucking hell, if it was as simple as some of you suggest, don't you think we would have done it already?

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

So what do we do with this new player when VVD, Gomez and Matip are fit? How do we pursued a club to sell us a decent CB half way through a season without paying way over the odds? How do we pursued a player to come here knowing that he ain't playing in 3 or 4 months time? How do we get a decent CB for a decent price when everyone and his dog knows we are desperate? Moneynis tight for everyone at the moment, we ain't paying over the odds for a player that we won't even need in a few months. 

Come on lads fucking hell, if it was as simple as some of you suggest, don't you think we would have done it already?

Is it not about getting better depth in, though? I don't think anyone is asking for a world-class, elite-level CB to play now and then get unhappy later. More getting better back-up because there's no guarantee that 1) Van Dijk comes back the same player and 2) any of them (especially Matip) stay fit regularly and you're definitely going to need better back-up when games continue to be cramped in such a short time. 

It also allows Fabinho and Henderson to play in their proper positions and compliment the team/set-up better...

Why are we assuming that if this new player comes in and plays a blinder for 5 months, he is still going to be dropped as soon as Gomez is fit? Gomez was struggling before his injury and he shouldn’t walk straight into the first 11 if we have somebody performing well there. Van Dijk goes straight back in but I think any player coming in would have to fancy their chances against Matip and Gomez. 

5 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Your defence has coped fine for the most part. What's hurting you more is losing Fabinho and sometimes Henderson from midfield. 

Thats what I said Rando, its a domino effect.

No CB's = defensive mids played in defence = attacking mids playing more defensively = attacking fullbacks having to play with more caution.

27 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

What about how not buying a centre back would affect our summer business? We currently sit in 4th; 5th if Everton win their game in hand. Can't remember how much money we get for qualifying for the Champions League, but it'll be a very significant sum following a season in which we've sold a total of, what, 6,000 tickets? We'll get nowhere near the Champions League places playing like this and then we'll be shopping in the bargain bin most likely

I fully accept it's difficult to get a deal done in January, but that doesn't change the fact we'll get nowhere without signing someone. You don't get points for whining that teams don't want to sell starting players in January or that some players don't want to have to compete with VVD and Gomez when they come back next season.  Michael Edwards and the scouting department are paid to identify and sign targets and we've known about our CB situation for 3 months now. Time to earn it

If there genuinely is no one suitable, then it is what it is, but we really don't need a van Dijk or a Gomez to make this team significantly better, so I'd be stunned if that were the case

Fair points and it's these risks that those making the decisions will have to weigh up. It's going to come down to what is reasonable financially for someone who isn't going to be a long term solution.

What sort of centre back would be acceptable to you?

• The topic was unpinned

Archived