talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Best Temporary Rivalries

football forum

Not all rivalries last forever, some are eternal but most flair up for a few years and disappear. You can't say there is much between Arsenal and Manchester United these days but during the late 90s and early 00s they produced some famous scenes. Chelsea and Liverpool during the late 00s was a solid matchup as well, lots of incidents and they played eachother an unusual amount of times in very intense games, there was definitely some fire between the teams even when Benetiz and Mourinho left their respective clubs. Obviously they Chelsea and Liverpool don't have much to do with eachother nowadays but you'd be dreaming if you didn't reconise the obvious fire between the teams back then.

I don't know much about German rivalries but BVB Dortmund and Bayern Munich were quite feisty when Klopp was in charge and when all the Dortmund players seemed like they were joining Bayern. @Tommy @Devil-Dick Willie can probably give two polar opposite reviews of that rivalry. But I do remember always making sure to watch those two play each other in the early 10s, some great moments.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Although they very rarely play each-other there always seems like some sort of resentment between Chelsea and Bayern Munich after that Final in Munich. As if the two teams could never be on positive grounds again. Barcelona also had a bit of tiff with Chelsea in the late 00s, as well as PSG recently.

19 minutes ago, Spike said:

Not all rivalries last forever, some are eternal but most flair up for a few years and disappear. You can't say there is much between Arsenal and Manchester United these days but during the late 90s and early 00s they produced some famous scenes. Chelsea and Liverpool during the late 00s was a solid matchup as well, lots of incidents and they played eachother an unusual amount of times in very intense games, there was definitely some fire between the teams even when Benetiz and Mourinho left their respective clubs. Obviously they Chelsea and Liverpool don't have much to do with eachother nowadays but you'd be dreaming if you didn't reconise the obvious fire between the teams back then.

I don't know much about German rivalries but BVB Dortmund and Bayern Munich were quite feisty when Klopp was in charge and when all the Dortmund players seemed like they were joining Bayern. @Tommy @Devil-Dick Willie can probably give two polar opposite reviews of that rivalry. But I do remember always making sure to watch those two play each other in the early 10s, some great moments.

Actually this supposed BVB Bayern rivalry was never a real thing. It's made up by Spanish journalists with no idea about German football and falsely called German Classico by them. Main rivals of Bayern were Stuttgart and Nürnberg,. and the rivals of Dortmund always were Schalke. Heaven Bayern even felt a fiercer rivalry with Bremen and Hamburg than with Dortmund.

8 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Actually this supposed BVB Bayern rivalry was never a real thing. It's made up by Spanish journalists with no idea about German football and falsely called German Classico by them. Main rivals of Bayern were Stuttgart and Nürnberg,. and the rivals of Dortmund always were Schalke. Heaven Bayern even felt a fiercer rivalry with Bremen and Hamburg than with Dortmund.

Well...I know but they aren't temporary rivals as this is what this thread is about, not main rivals like Dortmund v Schalke. I think you missed the point of the thread

6 minutes ago, Spike said:

Well...I know but they aren't temporary rivals as this is what this thread is about, not main rivals like Dortmund v Schalke. I think you missed the point of the thread

Didn't miss your point, that rivalry just never existed neither permanently nor temporary, apart from the 90 minutes each teams faced each other, and when we're talking about this  time every constellation is a temporary rivalry.

5 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Didn't miss your point, that rivalry just never existed neither permanently nor temporary, apart from the 90 minutes each teams faced each other, and when we're talking about this  time every constellation is a temporary rivalry.

I don't necessarily think that is true at all. when two successful teams play eachother frequently for top honours in a evenly matched games, a natural rivalry is made; whether or not it lasts or the fans feel the same way is irrelevant. you're telling me that the dortmund players and manager (vice versa for bayern) all went into the game with the same mindset as any other regular match? No heightened emotions or desire?

6 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Bro, that's just untrue

I remember Watzke in the press seemingly every day rubbing Dortmunds success in Bayerns face, Bayern responding by claiming Dortmund would be dissolved if Bayern hadn't loaned them bail out money ect. That 2010-2013 year period was very fiery between them. 

• Administrator

The ones you mentioned @Spike when I saw the thread title were the first ones I thought of - Arsenal/Man Utd when they were fighting for titles in that era was superb. There were plenty of sub plots as well, not just club v club. You had Fergie vs Wenger, Vieira vs Keane, a bit of Keown vs Van Nistelrooy. That game was the epitome of the PL era around then, intensified with things like 'pizzagate' after Utd ended Arsenal's unbeaten league run. The beginning of Arsenal's league downfall, perhaps...

2 minutes ago, Spike said:

I don't necessarily think that is true at all. when two successful teams play eachother frequently for top honours in a evenly matched games, a natural rivalry is made; whether or not it lasts or the fans feel the same way is irrelevant. you're telling me that the dortmund players and manager (vice versa for bayern) all went into the game with the same mindset as any other regular match? No heightened emotions or desire?

First of all, every fucking team in Germany feel a heightened desire to win when they face Bayern, second yeah for the Bayern players, manager, officials and fans facing Dortmund was business as usual.

• Administrator

I guess Newcastle and Man Utd had a rivalry on the pitch for a few years in the early/mid 90s. There was the famous Keegan outburst just before I started getting in to football and realising what the PL was all about. An iconic PL moment though and emphasised how caught up anyone could get in their own emotions because of how much was at stake. 

I'm not sure if it classes as a rivalry but there was a time where Newcastle and Liverpool wouldn't regularly play out goalfests of games. Thrilling finishes and sharing 7 goals with last minute winners etc... 

Just now, Rucksackfranzose said:

First of all, every fucking team in Germany feel a heightened desire to win when they face Bayern, second yeah for the Bayern players, manager, officials and fans facing Dortmund was business as usual.

ah okay i didnt realise every fucking team in germany felt that way, so it wouldnt have mattered more or less to bayern is they lost to another fucking team in another country, like a fucking ac milan, or a fucking olympique marseille. fucking gotcha mate, message received

5 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Bro, that's just untrue

I remember Watzke in the press seemingly every day rubbing Dortmunds success in Bayerns face, Bayern responding by claiming Dortmund would be dissolved if Bayern hadn't loaned them bail out money ect. That 2010-2013 year period was very fiery between them. 

Nothing against the classic Hoeneß- Lemke rivalry in the 80ties at the begin of the 90ties. Expected you as a Werder fan would agree.

5 minutes ago, Stan said:

The ones you mentioned @Spike when I saw the thread title were the first ones I thought of - Arsenal/Man Utd when they were fighting for titles in that era was superb. There were plenty of sub plots as well, not just club v club. You had Fergie vs Wenger, Vieira vs Keane, a bit of Keown vs Van Nistelrooy. That game was the epitome of the PL era around then, intensified with things like 'pizzagate' after Utd ended Arsenal's unbeaten league run. The beginning of Arsenal's league downfall, perhaps...

I think the 8-2 was the moment that everyone realised that arsenal were done

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Spike said:

I think the 8-2 was the moment that everyone realised that arsenal were done

That was a nail in the coffin. I think they were pretty much dead before then. 

Can't believe that was 10 years ago this year :o

35 minutes ago, Spike said:

ah okay i didnt realise every fucking team in germany felt that way, so it wouldnt have mattered more or less to bayern is they lost to another fucking team in another country, like a fucking ac milan, or a fucking olympique marseille. fucking gotcha mate, message received

Losing to Dortmund meant absolutely the same to Bayern players what losing to Gladbach or Leverkusen in the same season meant. These foreign clubs don't feel so strong towards Bayern, therefore loses to them may have been of lesser importance for them.

• Administrator

From the other thread I accidentally put it in!

With fans, MK Dons vs AFC Wimbledon was good. A relatively fresh rivalry in the circumstances. Think they got drawn in the FA Cup once before AFC Wimbledon made it back up to the league early as their new club. 

Arsenal v Manchester United. Vieira v Keane and Wenger v Ferguson. It was as big as any Derby for a long time and the one game that it seemed like stopped time as a kid, that everyone would watch. 

That said, Liverpool v United is the biggest game that isn’t a Derby in this country for me. I know it’s not temporary and the hatred is there permanently but they’re often massive games with some pretty memorable moments in them. 

Stoke v Arsenal was hilarious. It was like that first half in Space Jam where all the Looney Tunes are shitting bricks and the Monstars are injuring them all. Except for Arsenal, Wenger had no “special water” at half time and they’d all be changing their pants at half time having effectively given up the points as soon as they arrived at Stoke. 

1 hour ago, Smiley Culture said:

Arsenal v Manchester United. Vieira v Keane and Wenger v Ferguson. It was as big as any Derby for a long time and the one game that it seemed like stopped time as a kid, that everyone would watch. 

That said, Liverpool v United is the biggest game that isn’t a Derby in this country for me. I know it’s not temporary and the hatred is there permanently but they’re often massive games with some pretty memorable moments in them. 

Stoke v Arsenal was hilarious. It was like that first half in Space Jam where all the Looney Tunes are shitting bricks and the Monstars are injuring them all. Except for Arsenal, Wenger had no “special water” at half time and they’d all be changing their pants at half time having effectively given up the points as soon as they arrived at Stoke. 

Didn't Arsenal also struggle at Bolton in the mid 2000s? Think they lost there 3/4 seasons in a row, and Sam Allardyce having that smug look on his face.

I don't think you can look passed Liverpool v Man City in recent years. Obviously the Klopp/Guardiola thing carries over from Germany but the club rivalry really stepped up after we ended their unbeaten record in their 100 point season and gave them a hiding in the Champions League quarter final a couple of months later. Then they pip us to the title in 2019 before we run away with it last season. We're currently having a season similar to theirs in 19/20 but I think you'd still have us down as their most likely challengers next season. They would be favourites if the two sides were to meet in Europe this season but you'd be crazy to write Liverpool off

United and Juve was one for me, we played them a fair few times mid 90's and early 2000's. 

They dominated the early exchanges but I remember as we started to improve in Europe we actually battered them in Turin, Giggs rounded the keeper I think. 

Edit.. sorry no he didn't thinking of another game, this is the goal. 

Ryan Giggs Juventus FC Vs Manchester.United 25.02.03 -Champions League 2002- - Bing video

20 Oct 1976 Manchester United v Juventus W 1-0 UEFA Cup
03 Nov 1976 Juventus v Manchester United L 3-0 UEFA Cup
11 Apr 1984 Manchester United v Juventus D 1-1 UEFA European Cup Winners Cup
25 Apr 1984 Juventus v Manchester United L 2-1 UEFA European Cup Winners Cup
11 Sep 1996 Juventus v Manchester United L 1-0 UEFA Champions League
20 Nov 1996 Manchester United v Juventus L 0-1 UEFA Champions League
01 Oct 1997 Manchester United v Juventus W 3-2 UEFA Champions League
10 Dec 1997 Juventus v Manchester United L 1-0 UEFA Champions League
07 Apr 1999 Manchester United v Juventus D 1-1 UEFA Champions League
21 Apr 1999 Juventus v Manchester United W 2-3 UEFA Champions League
19 Feb 2003 Manchester United v Juventus W 2-1 UEFA Champions League
25 Feb 2003 Juventus v Manchester United W 0-3 UEFA Champions League
23 Oct 2018 Manchester United v Juventus L 0-1 UEFA Champions League
07 Nov 2018 Juventus v Manchester United W 1-2 UEFA Champions League

As you can see we dominated the later years of our fixtures. 

Archived