talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Best Temporary Rivalries

football forum

58 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Chelsea Liverpool for me.

'03 - When you think back to that last game of the season where they both played in to see who got the 4th Champions League spot, it's just grown from that.

I mean, to consistently meet in the Champions League year upon year was what really defined the rivalry.

Mourinho v Benitez, a battle of two master tacticians that didn't like eachother.

'05 Semi Final 2nd leg and the Luis Garcia 'ghost goal', Jose losing his shit

'06 Drawn in the same group. Two bore draws xD

'07 Semi Final, Liverpool winning on pens, some say they have Chelsea's number in this Comp.

'08 Quarter Final, Chelsea finally gain revenge in extra time, Lampard cries.

'09 Quarter Final, and that amazing 4-4 2nd leg that swung one way and the other with Chelsea coming out on top.

All this was just the Champions League.

Then there's been the FA Cup final, League Cup final in Cardiff, numerous Premier League games, Gerrard's slip, Demba Ba, Chelsea signing Torres, Benitez v Jose, Suarez biting Ivanovic etc

You get the drift.

And still some Liverpool fans will say there was no rivalry at this time, I think mainly because if it isn't traditional or local it can't exist. Tell that to the players!

Also the first game after the Torres transfer was....Liverpool v Chelsea with the former winning at Stamford Bridge no less.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Spike said:

And still some Liverpool fans will say there was no rivalry at this time, I think mainly because if it isn't traditional or local it can't exist. Tell that to the players!

Also the first game after the Torres transfer was....Liverpool v Chelsea with the former winning at Stamford Bridge no less.

In all fairness it wasn't a big rivalry, but definitely a good one while it lasted.

Liverpool and Leeds back in the Shankly Revie days was another good one.

23 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

08 was another semi final. Fucking Riise own goal in injury time of the first leg

There was an FA Cup semi in 06 too

Am I right in thinking you lost the Carling Cup final in Cardiff to Chelsea through an OG as well? Riise again or possibly Gerrard?

1 minute ago, Scouse_Mouse said:

In all fairness it wasn't a big rivalry, but definitely a good one while it lasted.

Liverpool and Leeds back in the Shankly Revie days was another good one.

Of course, it was no Manchester United v Liverpool but it was tense and a good watch at the time.

16 minutes ago, Spike said:

I'm not buying that. They definitely cared, you both did. There was a real edge about it all the time and the atmosphere was electric. The games were pretty much always close, they had this knack of knowing how to play you.

I remember that game as well. Torres should never have played, it was too soon. Wrecked his confidence.

I also remember when there were serious rumours Gerrard was going to Chelsea, or Jose bid for him. Dunno how close that was to happening but it seemed incredible at the time that it could have given the rivalry of both clubs.

1 minute ago, Lucas said:

Yeah I'm not buying that. They definitely cared, you both did. There was a real edge about it all the time and the atmosphere was electric.

I remember that game as well. Torres should never have played, it was too soon.

I also remember when there were serious rumours Gerrard was going to Chelsea, or Jose bid for him. Dunno how close that was to happening but it seemed incredible at the time that it could have given the rivalry of both clubs.

The rumour is that some of the lesser members of the Liverpudlian community threatened Gerrard's family members. Is it true? Don't know. Is it possible? Maybe. The Torres situation was painful to watch.

23 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Gerrard own goal and Gerrard also gifted us the title in 2010

Let's not forget those cringeworthy plastic flags.

And that one that some idiot made of Torres in the Liverpool shirt but silk screened in blue, it even had the Shankly gates in the background ffsxD

33 minutes ago, Lucas said:

I'm not buying that. They definitely cared, you both did. There was a real edge about it all the time and the atmosphere was electric. The games were pretty much always close, they had this knack of knowing how to play you.

I remember that game as well. Torres should never have played, it was too soon. Wrecked his confidence.

I remember that one too, Carragher took him out with a clean tackle early on. Torres looked like he was going to start blubbering.:27_sunglasses:

21 minutes ago, Scouse_Mouse said:

Let's not forget those cringeworthy plastic flags.

And that one that some idiot made of Torres in the Liverpool shirt but silk screened in blue, it even had the Shankly gates in the background ffsxD

Did you mean to reply to me? If so, Huh?

4 hours ago, Harry said:

Come on. Huge overstatement mate. 

He's one of the shittest. 

Cost you your first prem title, single handedly. And he's always been a player remembered fondly for the 2 mad goals he scored a season, or THAT 60 yard pass, that ended in a goal once, but found touch, or a defender, or was miscontrolled the 6 other times he did it that game. 
Cost England a spot in the 16 of the world cup
Cost you a cup
Threatened to leave for rivals to weasel more cash multiple times, then left anyway eventually to ruin his one club image for mula

Frank Lampards stats shat on Stevie Gs year in and out, and Lampard aged better too, to the point where Chelski let him go too soon TBH, but because Gerrard had "heart" he was always bafflingly the big man. 

3 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Cost you your first prem title, single handedly. And he's always been a player remembered fondly for the 2 mad goals he scored a season, or THAT 60 yard pass, that ended in a goal once, but found touch, or a defender, or was miscontrolled the 6 other times he did it that game. 
Cost you a cup
Threatened to leave for rivals to weasel more cash multiple times, then left anyway eventually to ruin his one club image for mula

Frank Lampards stats shat on Stevie Gs year in and out, and Lampard aged better too, to the point where Chelski let him go too soon TBH, but because Gerrard had "heart" he was always bafflingly the big man. 

The slip against Ba wasn't even the first time he did something like that. He also backpassed for England and Liverpool to Henry which lead to a goal both times and backpassed to Drogba which lead to a goal. He was also a mad diver. Great player no doubt but a list of mistakes longer that the line of pill Devil Dick shelves on sunday nights.

• Subscriber
15 minutes ago, Spike said:

The slip against Ba wasn't even the first time he did something like that. He also backpassed for England and Liverpool to Henry which lead to a goal both times and backpassed to Drogba which lead to a goal. He was also a mad diver. Great player no doubt but a list of mistakes longer that the line of pill Devil Dick shelves on sunday nights.

I can't moan at him at the moment even though he hates Man United because he is the manager of my team here in Scotland, Glasgow Rangers and has them sitting on top of the league and 7 points away from being this year's Scottish Champions, not bad for a novice manager.  :whistling: :coffee:

3 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Cost you a cup

Fuck off xD Scored in every major cup final. Won everything bar the league. 

12 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Gerrard has to be the biggest Chelsea legend to have never played for Chelsea

2005 - Gifted us our first trophy in the Mourinho era

2010 - Gifted us the League title to secure our first ever domestic double. 

2014 - Purposely slipped to allow us to finish Top 4 in favor of winning his first league title with Liverpool. 

Absolute Legend. Blue through and through. 

Archived