• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Arepas vs Fish and Chips

football forum

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, CaaC (John) said:

I had to Google that. even the wife did not know what it was and when I showed her she said it looks like a vegetable pancake, Nah, give me good old fish and chips any day. :D

If you had even a few Venezuelans move into the UK during this whole crisis, you'd know ;)

7 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

I had to Google that. even the wife did not know what it was and when I showed her she said it looks like a vegetable pancake, Nah, give me good old fish and chips any day. :D

Fish and chips on paper back in the day was immense.

• Administrator

Fish and chips by a country mile. And then a million more miles. 

That Arepas looks so stodgy. Doesn't look appetising at all. 

Fish and chips on a Friday night, salt and vinegar on the chips, bit of mayo or curry sauce on the side. Can't go wrong. 

• Administrator

What fish do people choose for their fish and chips order? Haddock for me. There's a time and a plaice for cod and that's only if haddock isn't available.

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Stan said:

What fish do people to for with their fish and chips order?

Cod by a mile.

The best chip shop I can remember was when I worked down in Southend-on-Sea and the chippie outside work was run by a Pakistan guy and he did the most beautiful Cod in batter, nip up there at lunchtime and order some.

Nothing like a fish supper from the local chippie on a Friday night coming home from the pub or British Legion, in Australia it was potato cakes and flake (small shark) both done in batter.

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Danny said:

Fish and chips is such a pointless meal that sums up the complete lack of flavour in British cooking, and I’m still going with it over whatever that picture is

Way of life across here buddy.

"Fish and chips gained popularity when the meal helped feed the masses during the First World War. And since fish and potatoes were two of only a few foods not rationed in WW II, the traditional dish maintained its status."

https://www.thespruceeats.com/facts-about-traditional-fish-and-chips-in-britain-435157

9 minutes ago, Danny said:

Fish and chips is such a pointless meal that sums up the complete lack of flavour in British cooking, and I’m still going with it over whatever that picture is

Your ignorance astounds me. I get not knowing Arepas but your wording here is shit. 

Anyways, I'm guilty in admitting not having tried Arepas despite being offered by Venezuelans countless times. Fish and Chips is tough to beat though in any scenario.

59 minutes ago, Stan said:

Fish and chips by a country mile. And then a million more miles. 

That Arepas looks so stodgy. Doesn't look appetising at all. 

Fish and chips on a Friday night, salt and vinegar on the chips, bit of mayo or curry sauce on the side. Can't go wrong. 

Ah here is where I disagree. I actually think Arepas look tasty. As I said above, I highly doubt it'd be above Fish and Chips because that's hard enough to beat already, but I genuinely do think it looks something I'd like.

Just now, Mpache said:

Your ignorance astounds me. I get not knowing Arepas but your wording here is shit. 

Anyways, I'm guilty in admitting not having tried Arepas despite being offered by Venezuelans countless times. Fish and Chips is tough to beat though in any scenario.

Did “whatever that picture is” offend you? Cos other than it being called Arepas I have no idea what is in that picture 

Just now, Danny said:

Did “whatever that picture is” offend you? Cos other than it being called Arepas I have no idea what is in that picture 

Didn't offend me at all, just came across as ignorant wording.

3 minutes ago, Mpache said:

Didn't offend me at all, just came across as ignorant wording.

Ignorant wording or not it looks like someone found it in the back of a fridge squished underneath something else

• Subscriber
13 minutes ago, Spike said:

so I'd pick fish and chips even though @CaaC (John) posted probably the worst picture of fish and chips I've ever seen.

I agree but that was just to answer MUFC's comments about the old days when they were wrapped in newspaper, not allowed to do that nowadays.  :D

Still remember the good old days in Aussie land coming back from a footie match and nipping in the chip shop for flake and potato cakes, the wife makes lovely potato cakes but up here in Scotland you can't get flake, apparently, they are only available around Cornwell way, I love rock eel but you can't get that up here either.

1 minute ago, CaaC (John) said:

I agree but that was just to answer MUFC's comments about the old days when they were wrapped in newspaper, not allowed to do that nowadays.  :D

Still remember the good old days in Aussie land coming back from a footie match and nipping in the chip shop for flake and potato cakes, the wife makes lovely potato cakes but up here in Scotland you can't get flake, apparently, they are only available around Cornwell way, I love rock eel but you can't get that up here either.

i think newspaper was a bit before my time but they did use that paper which essentially was newspaper, just without the whole printed ink issue, it was greyish and maybe a bit thicker

Archived