talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

(Round of 16) - Belgium 1-0 Portugal - Sunday 27th June, 2021

football forum

5 hours ago, Redcanuck said:

That shot had a little bit of English on it , it swerved both left than right and seemed to then go upwards.  It was also hit with a lot of force, I doubt Patricio would have been able to stop it if he did get his hand on it, it would have just deflected into the corner.

The power and swerve on that shot would have been tricky for any keeper to block. Portugal were much the better side than Belgium in the 2nd half, but I do think that Belgium decided to protect their 1 goal advantage in the last 45 minutes. I think Thorgan Hazard is an excellent player and so is his brother of course. But for me, the key players for Belgium are de Bruyne and Lukaku. With them in the team, anything is possible for this Belgian side in my opinion.

• The topic was unpinned
  • Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Portugal I think have a promising squad but it's maybe a bit unbalanced (tons of good attacking mids but a bit thin in defence) and on top of that, I don't think an old school Portuguese kind of manager is suited for such a squad. 

They looked much better in this competition once Sanches came into midfield and they played with a single pivot.

It's a very tricky decision but I sincerely don't think that Fernandes is part of Portugal's best 11. I get the feeling that he needs to be the main creator to play well, which he is in United's midfield, but he's not quite good enough to justify that role in Portugal's team. 

Belgium’s defence really is there to be got at, but defensive football is such an integral part of competition football now that I’m not sure how much it will go against them when they have Lukaku, Tielemans, Hazard, De Bruyne and Carracco going forward as they will always have a goal in them even if they do concede

15 hours ago, Inverted said:

Portugal I think have a promising squad but it's maybe a bit unbalanced (tons of good attacking mids but a bit thin in defence) and on top of that, I don't think an old school Portuguese kind of manager is suited for such a squad. 

They looked much better in this competition once Sanches came into midfield and they played with a single pivot.

It's a very tricky decision but I sincerely don't think that Fernandes is part of Portugal's best 11. I get the feeling that he needs to be the main creator to play well, which he is in United's midfield, but he's not quite good enough to justify that role in Portugal's team. 

Definitely. He hasn't done anything of relevant with the National Team, to be constantly in the starting XI.

8 hours ago, Carnivore Chris said:

I would have thought @ASF would be rooting for España now, since he loves them...

To be fair, I don't mind this Spain squad. 

Must be because it isn't full of Barcelona cunts. ;) Even Busquets seems more likeable nowadays.

On 28/06/2021 at 11:57, Viva la FCB said:

Even at 50 years old is there a better villain then Pepe though? That body check he threw on a whistled down play was top shelf stuff. 

Notice Portugal starts the shenanigans when they are in a close a knockout game?  Seen before against England and Netherlands 

also noticed that CR7 changed jersey between halftime. Long sleeve to short 

On 28/06/2021 at 16:57, Viva la FCB said:

Even at 50 years old is there a better villain then Pepe though? That body check he threw on a whistled down play was top shelf stuff. 

Could be a hot take but I think he's the best player our national side has ever seen. The most consistent player since 2007 when he debuted. Even when he's not MVP, he's always in the top 3 performers. Every. Single. Time. Easily the best player for us in every Euro he's played as well.

Archived