The better place to talk football.

F1 2021 - Dutch GP - 3-5th September

football forum

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
2 hours ago, Eco said:

I didn't attack you mate. Just said that surely you can see the difference between how you feel about a track based on the winner. 

And for the record, I most definitely don't hate Lewis. Far from it. Does his moaning bother me? Sure! But I feel the same with Max, Horner, and everyone else. In fact, one thing I think Lewis does better than anyone, is being respectful of the track and fans, and when he isn't the winner, he does a good job complimenting the winner and not acting like a child. Now, I don't know if he's always been this way, as I'm about 4 years in my F1 watching, but he certainly does great in that regard. Plus, hell, he cannot ever be count out of a race. The man finds pace where others can't...The man is likely the greatest driver I'll ever see. So get off you anti-Lewis agenda mate. You barking up the wrong tree. 

I’m not barking up any tree. You insulted me and now you’re being extremely defensive. Chill out. 

7 minutes ago, JoshBRFC said:

I’m not barking up any tree. You insulted me and now you’re being extremely defensive. Chill out. 

I just re-read anything, and I never once insulted you. I make a joke about you not believing all that you were saying, but I genuinely thought you were just trying to wind people up. 😆

And I'm not purposely being defensive, I just hate the narrative that if you like someone, you must hate the other. If you cheer and are happy for Max, it doesn't mean you are anti-Lewis or anything of the sort. 

I'm just happy we are getting to see a proper fight for the championship, where the leader is changing between Max and Lewis each week. I'm also excited to be having another home course for a top F1 driver. Lewis at Silverstone, Max in Netherland (and Belgium really), Gasly in France, Checo in Mexico, I just love the idea of home races and think that they are all just a bit different and add more drama. 

Not much wheel to wheel battles or overtaking. But I found the strategic battle between RB and Merc quite intriguing. There were cases during the race due to camera angles, you thought you were on a fairground ride and had your heart in your mouth. It was like they were going to fly into the walls at times. This alone had me on edge. 

3 hours ago, Eco said:

That row of cannons along the straight to end with Max was very well done. 

I was saying this earlier, but Dutch fans seem to show up in droves to all sporting events. Maybe it's their orange that sticks out, but whether it's women's soccer, speed skating, or F1, they are truly a unique breed. 

It's a good excuse for a party and there's something satisfying about rallying behind such an unfashionable color. 

We also kind of put all our hope in Max because our football team has been so shit for years.

1 minute ago, Panflute said:

It's a good excuse for a party and there's something satisfying about rallying behind such an unfashionable color. 

We also kind of put all our hope in Max because our football team has been so shit for years.

Hey man, long time no see. 

Dutch know how to party, and how to celebrate anything positive. It just looks so much...fun. 

That crowd today looked incredible. 

So I have a question...

With about 15 or so laps yet, they showed the AWS Status of the tires, and Max's left said was almost dead, yet he had no problem making it to the end. 

How much stock to people put into that kind of data, and I'm assuming the engineers are looking at more accurate data? 

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Eco said:

So I have a question...

With about 15 or so laps yet, they showed the AWS Status of the tires, and Max's left said was almost dead, yet he had no problem making it to the end. 

How much stock to people put into that kind of data, and I'm assuming the engineers are looking at more accurate data? 

Those graphs are a pure gimmick and completely inaccurate.

Just now, Eco said:

So I have a question...

The realistic data is super confidential, for obvious reasons. The AWS figures are purely an educated guess to give a guide to the people back home how things are out on track. 

They are usually pretty bang on when it comes to the "striking distance" as you can mathematically work it out, but the tyres and performance is a bit of a stab in the dark IMO.

Just now, nudge said:

Those graphs are a pure gimmick and completely inaccurate.

That was my thought as well. Even when you could see Max's tires, they didn't look all that worn, which is why I was wondering how they came up with such 'data'. 

• Subscriber

It was pretty clearly a load of rubbish that they had Verstappen down as 10-20% tyre performance when he'd done about 15 laps on the most durable tyre compound. Any half decent mathematical modelling could call a lot of the stuff they predict pretty accurately. I don't get why they have to try and make everything tangible though. It's true that almost every aspect of Formula 1 is tangible but there are so many factors to consider, that they can combine in pretty intangible ways. There's always an element of uncertainty when you have all these different areas of physics working in tandem which is why teams vary in their performances, and why no big-money analytics project will be able to accurately predict exactly what will happen.

Just now, JoshBRFC said:

He questions the pit stop when Lewis got brought back out in traffic. 

Also questions the fastest lab debacle. 

Two honest questions, although that fastest lap thing was rather comical really, as I felt like it was Bottas saying f* this. 

I think the strategy for Mercedes wasn't the best today, and they did mess up Hamilton with that pit stop. Anyone other than Max or Lewis would have probably finished 4th-5th. 

• Subscriber
8 minutes ago, Eco said:

Two honest questions, although that fastest lap thing was rather comical really, as I felt like it was Bottas saying f* this. 

I think the strategy for Mercedes wasn't the best today, and they did mess up Hamilton with that pit stop. Anyone other than Max or Lewis would have probably finished 4th-5th. 

Yep and rightly so. He’s nothing to lose, he did apparently slow down but it was too late. 

Yeah Red Bull were ahead of Mercedes all weekend.

2 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

It was pretty clearly a load of rubbish that they had Verstappen down as 10-20% tyre performance

I was very confused by that graphic, as it was completely devoid of logic. Funnily enough a few seconds later they showed a close-up of Max's tyres and they looked perfectly fine. So stupid. Are they going with the Netflix way of overdramatizing things? 

On 05/09/2021 at 20:50, Eco said:

Hey man, long time no see. 

Dutch know how to party, and how to celebrate anything positive. It just looks so much...fun. 

That crowd today looked incredible. 

It is nice to see but with events like this there's also a lot of naysayers who complain the race track is too noisy, or that large crowds shouldn't be allowed in due to corona. It's like that with basically every major event in the Netherlands; you have people celebrating and you have people getting into a fit about it at the same time.

Personally I'm glad for this weekend as it was the first time in a long while that things seemed, well, normal, for as far as a Zandvoort GP can be considered that. You could also see it during the Euros, when everybody lost their minds in excitement when our team barely beat Ukraine and it was like we'd just won the tournament. It's easy to be cynical about it but after 2020 people just needed a proper party, and Zandvoort was a continuation of that, luckily with the result to match this time.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived