talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

CIES Football Observatory Net Spend Last 10 Years

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, Cicero said:

United and Arsenal have spent their way to a managed decline. 

2C4CE46E-7071-49DF-97A3-6A8A16FA49C4.jpeg

It's not ordered by money spent. Our money spent is the 5th lowest out of the "big 6" in England and only €16m more than Tottenham's. Selling has been our biggest problem.

I wish it had comprehensive running costs, academy, staff salary, bonuses, and all in between. Chelsea spend fortunes on managers, and Barcelona consistently has the highest salary tab.

It’d be nice to see numbers for owner injections, sponsors, TV rights, etc. Because even the team in 20th in England earns more TV rights money than probably every other club in the world.

27 minutes ago, Spike said:

I swear I also read somewhere that Liverpool has one of the fastest growing salary totals? Which makes sense given their established team and success. 

We paid a lot out the years after we won the CL and title respectively because our contracts given to the players are very incentive based. So players get paid more/less based off what they win, where we finish in the league, and probably some bonuses for goals and assists too.

I lol'd at Everton and Newcastle's places on those lists.

I always forget that Newcastle actually spent pretty decently under Steve Bruce, so it's not just all from this recent splurge in spending post-Saudi takeover. And I suppose in the end, letting Bruce spend a lot so he could avoid the drop despite playing Bruceball was probably worth it in the end tbh. Would they have been taken over had they been relegated? I doubt it.

Everton's is just funny.

But the funniest one is United's for sure. Spending that much and if they don't win a title this season (which I think seems likely)... it's their longest trophy drought since they were last relegated. Hilarious. 

53 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

We paid a lot out the years after we won the CL and title respectively because our contracts given to the players are very incentive based. So players get paid more/less based off what they win, where we finish in the league, and probably some bonuses for goals and assists too.

Part of the reason I hate these transfer in and transfer out obsession, it tells only a fraction of the picture. Alexander-Arnold and Milner had no fee but I bet they cost 10,000,000 pound plus a year. Salaries are huge and not transparent like they are in North American Australian sports that have strict salary caps and floors. People laughed at that thread that demanded player salaries be public but it isn’t really a that strange or out of the question, considering that fans consider themselves a part of the club or in fact are members.

34 minutes ago, Spike said:

Part of the reason I hate these transfer in and transfer out obsession, it tells only a fraction of the picture. Alexander-Arnold and Milner had no fee but I bet they cost 10,000,000 pound plus a year. Salaries are huge and not transparent like they are in North American Australian sports that have strict salary caps and floors. People laughed at that thread that demanded player salaries be public but it isn’t really a that strange or out of the question, considering that fans consider themselves a part of the club or in fact are members.

I had an argument where I said United got ripped off for Ronaldo. The guy was shocked, stating that he was reasonably cheap on the fee. But my argument was based in his no doubt immense wages.

2 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

I had an argument where I said United got ripped off for Ronaldo. The guy was shocked, stating that he was reasonably cheap on the fee. But my argument was based in his no doubt immense wages.

What do you reckon his bonuses are! I bet he has crazy stipulations about marketing and advertising fees as well.

2 minutes ago, Spike said:

Shirt sales would-be bullshit, most of that goes to the manufacturer 

I think it's around 10-15% to the club. And that's if they're big clubs. These companies aren't paying to make shirts for nothing in return!

Point of the article is to show how clubs conduct business in the acquiring and selling of players. If you want to expand it to wages, bonuses, agent fees, revenue from operations, etc, this falls under a much broader view that we couldn't possibly have all the information for. 

This is a decent way to measure how certain clubs operate, especially when you attribute the silverware the club won in that period. 

• Administrator

Because @Cicero cut out the earned column...

image.png

Premier League only:
image.png

Spurs and Everton are the big standouts, for me. All that spending for absolutely no return in terms of trophies. 

Guessing a lot of Villa's spending is majority in the last 2-3 seasons.

On 08/02/2022 at 02:15, Dr. Gonzo said:

I lol'd at Everton and Newcastle's places on those lists.

I always forget that Newcastle actually spent pretty decently under Steve Bruce, so it's not just all from this recent splurge in spending post-Saudi takeover. And I suppose in the end, letting Bruce spend a lot so he could avoid the drop despite playing Bruceball was probably worth it in the end tbh. Would they have been taken over had they been relegated? I doubt it.

Everton's is just funny.

But the funniest one is United's for sure. Spending that much and if they don't win a title this season (which I think seems likely)... it's their longest trophy drought since they were last relegated. Hilarious. 

to be fair we should have been taken oven in 2020 after 4 months of being toyed with by the EPL.   

trusting Bruce with money and McLaren but not backing Pardew and Rafa is unforgivable.

2011 first season back built a solid core around a rejuvenated Colo, Enrique, Williamson, Simpson, Barton, Nolan and Caroll.  we signed up Gutierrez, Ben Arfa and Tiote and finished mid table.   

the next season we got Debauchy, Cabaye, Cisse (lost Carroll and Enrique).  Finished 5th in 2012 had a good core and had Pardew been backed like McLaren we could have built a good solid top 7 team.   instead we got Vernon Anita and Ba(free).   we desperately needed a left side wide player and a CB of quality

similarly in 2019 Rafa got the team defensively sound and playing perfect counter football with Rondon, Ayoze and Almiron playing off each other.   He needed backing and Ashley fired him for another yes man

I think we're about right given the longevity we've had in this divison. Brighton, Leicester and Wolves have no doubt far exceeded us in the last five years but we did that have banter window with Ian Holloway to take in to consideration before they were promoted where we signed something like 15 players.

Aston Villa's spending is somewhat surprising given they have only been in the divison for two and a half seasons. I wouldn't be surprised to see them on the FFP tightrope even with the Grealish income given Wolves have reduced spending for that reason. If they had lost that playoff final I'd hate to see where they'd be now.

• Subscriber

2 Manchester clubs at the top. The richest footballing City on the planet!

One things these lists don’t include is just overall net losses and not just from transfers. It would be interesting to see.

Archived