talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Russia and Ukraine

football forum

12 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Looks like FIFA and UEFA have suspended all Russian football competitions. 

They are banned from club football and the world cup. Teams that had ties against them get a buy. Womens European cup to be discussed 

1 hour ago, 6666 said:

Wasn't expecting clubs to be banned as well. A more ridiculous move than I initially thought it would be.

Many of their clubs are state owned or partially state owned - so hitting those clubs with bans winds up hitting the Russian state.

It's unfair for many of the players, though... for sure.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 6666 said:

Wasn't expecting clubs to be banned as well. A more ridiculous move than I initially thought it would be.

It's not ridiculous. Unfortunate for the teams I agree. But necessary. You seem to be the only one who thinks this way 

4 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Many of their clubs are state owned or partially state owned - so hitting those clubs with bans winds up hitting the Russian state.

It's unfair for many of the players, though... for sure.

Even if they arent it still has to be done. It unfortunate for the players and I have sympathy for them but it had to be done. 

3 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

It's not ridiculous. Unfortunate for the teams I agree. But necessary. You seem to be the only one who thinks this way 

Necessary in what way? This will have very little bearing on Russia's military decisions. And I'm really not the only one thinking this. Even on here, there aren't many that have said that this is an important decision (not that it'd change my mind).

Going after parts of Russia that aren't relevant to the conflict is just plain wrong in my opinion. At best, it's just symbolic. At worst, you're targeting and punishing innocent people because you think all of Russia has to pay. And as mentioned before, this is not something that's been used against certain other countries and it won't be.

Just now, 6666 said:

Necessary in what way? This will have very little bearing on Russia's military decisions. And I'm really not the only one thinking this. Even on here, there aren't many that have said that this is an important decision (not that it'd change my mind).

Going after parts of Russia that aren't relevant to the conflict is just plain wrong in my opinion. At best, it's just symbolic. At worst, you're targeting and punishing innocent people because you think all of Russia has to pay. And as mentioned before, this is not something that's been used against certain other countries and it won't be.

Its symbolic yes. But having a country represented when they have invaded another and other teams refuse to play them is just not possible.

You dont seem to process emotional stuff very well I've noticed that about you 

9 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Its symbolic yes. But having a country represented when they have invaded another and other teams refuse to play them is just not possible.

You dont seem to process emotional stuff very well I've noticed that about you 

I try not to let emotion overwhelm logic. It's a positive, not a negative so I'd say I process things just fine. I also try not to let the media's double standards or their lust for drama affect how I think either. I noticed that you let your emotions do your thinking for you and I'd say that's more a case of being unable to process emotional stuff.

Also I'd like to know your feelings on Saudi Arabia, USA, Israel, England, etc. and if they should be banned from competing in international competitions or, even more ridiculously, if you think clubs from those countries should also be banned from competitions.

@6666 Well I do agree it is good if you are able to not let emotion affect your decision making. I actually dont let emotion affect my decisions making that much. I'm always saying that logic should be the base of a decision not emotion. Maybe it doesn't come across that way on the forum but think about how many times I have excepted a referee decisions I haven't liked or said its to early to decide if a manager should be sacked. If I was letting emotion decide what I thought I wouldn't say that. As for other countries. I did say that people didnt care enough about other countries. But this has had so much more media coverage surely it's still a good thing that people care and want action to be taken even if it is a bit hypocritical?

As for the ban. I dont think its fair and I do feel sorry for russian athletes. However it does send a message. Its more symbolic than anything. In a way its the wrong message because it's not their fault but it does send out a message that russia will be cut of from the world in every way 

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I do worry for Russian people. Some of them who live abroad must be getting terrible abuse 

I’d personally step in and chin any cunt giving someone abuse for being Russian. This is solely Putin. Fuck all to do with anyone else. You’ve got to be the most uneducated fuckwit to even think of abusing anyone because of that. Same with Chinese/Covid. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I do worry for Russian people. Some of them who live abroad must be getting terrible abuse 

It's happening already in the US. Death threats to an owners of various Russian restaurants/international markets that sell Russian stuff.

1 hour ago, 6666 said:

Don't know who this guy Mike Sington is but it's scary knowing that there are people out there that just want an excuse to mistreat groups.

This is the biggest problem with cultures that become obsessed with "identity politics" - they use various identities, like in this instance national/ethnic identity, to make wide sweeping allegations about everyone who might fall into that identity. Fear of the "other" is a powerful tool to manipulate people.

Russian students abroad are just trying to get the best possible education they can get so they can give themselves the best shot in life, most Russians who live outside Russia fucking hate Putin and he's one of the reasons they left.

It's very sad to see innocent people demonised because of the actions of an autocratic piece of shit like Putin. The actions of his government do not speak for all Russians, particularly not those Russians who've left Russia.

Having said that, I understand why Russian clubs (especially the ones who have ties to state-ownership, or those that are outright state-owned) have been banned in this instance. And yes, I do think it's hypocritical considering when similar things happen elsewhere in the world, we don't see calls for the US, UK, NATO nations, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Israel, Saudi Arabia, Iran, etc... to be banned. And perhaps we should be calling for more international pressure to be applied in a similar fashion when world peace is brutally violated by various nations around the world.

I think that's entirely reasonable to ask for. There's one thing the world should show continued unity for and that's peace - I don't think it's a bad thing that the world is attempting to economically punish Russia for this, I think that's a hell of a lot better than escalating tensions in a way that'll likely lead to WW3.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, DeadLinesman said:

I’d personally step in and chin any cunt giving someone abuse for being Russian. This is solely Putin. Fuck all to do with anyone else. You’ve got to be the most uneducated fuckwit to even think of abusing anyone because of that. Same with Chinese/Covid. 

Yeah, but you'd be surprised how many uneducated fuckwits there are in the world...

this is where I live: https://www.cbs8.com/article/news/nation-world/ukraine/russian-restaurant-receives-threats/509-10693ba7-80b9-42c4-8d8f-423df35e72b8

It's a Russian restaraunt, owned by an Armenian-American, staffed by mostly Ukrainian-Americans (ironically) - and they've been getting lots of threats. And this is despite trying to raise money to send to Ukrainian charities...

5 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Yeah, but you'd be surprised how many uneducated fuckwits there are in the world...

this is where I live: https://www.cbs8.com/article/news/nation-world/ukraine/russian-restaurant-receives-threats/509-10693ba7-80b9-42c4-8d8f-423df35e72b8

It's a Russian restaraunt, owned by an Armenian-American, staffed by mostly Ukrainian-Americans (ironically) - and they've been getting lots of threats. And this is despite trying to raise money to send to Ukrainian charities...

Yes, but they probably fuck their sisters as well. This comes as no surprise.

• Haha 1

• Subscriber

Hitting Putin on sport is hitting him where it hurts to be fair. I sympathise with the clubs and athletes that have done nothing wrong and I don't agree with stupid bullshit like expelling normal Russian people from other countries or universities or whatever, but I do think the sport thing is quite important.

Putin obviously sees sport as something that gives him some sort of power, or being seen to be the man who brings the benefits of international sporting events to the Russian people. I'm not going to pretend to understand it inside out but if there was no power in sport, you wouldn't see billionaires from seemingly unaffiliated places across the world buying your Chelseas, Man Citys, PSGs, etc.

Putin and his administration sponsored the doping that went on at the Sochi winter Olympics because they got something out of it. Look how great our country is to win all of those medals. It all plays into the Mother Russia angle. Look at that football club owned by a Russian man winning the Premier League and the Champions League. Russia has influence in these great sporting tournaments. Look at our Formula 1 race, Russia can host these elite sporting events just like all the other major countries, I've brought this to our great country and to you. See also the Champions League final which they've had taken away. These events are marks of status, otherwise you wouldn't have Russia, Qatar, UAE, Saudi Arabia, etc. investing obscene amounts of money in bringing as many of them as possible to their shores. 

None of this is seismic and isn't going to bring down Putin or peel his oligarchs away from him in isolation, but the best strategy here is to try and put him down with death by a thousand cuts. Putin has consolidated his power internationally and domestically with sports-washing, by allowing his capitalist oligarch class to grow rich with the help of their dealings with the West and the wider outside world, by opening the country up to the benefits of some integration. If enough of these institutions turn their backs on Russia because of him, it does have an impact when you add it all together.

Edited by RondónEFC
  • Upvote 4

• Subscriber
On 27/02/2022 at 12:33, MUFC said:

People saying only Trump can stop Putin. Don't tell me Trump becomes the hero and becomes president again? 

Noones saying that other then Trump himself and his minions. The guy hasnt stopped suckling on Putins ballsack since 2015, I genuinely want to know what Putin has on him. The mere suggestion that Trump would have any positive influence on this while being in charge is so laughable I dont even know what to say. The cretin has publically praised Putin and waxed on about how smart and genius Putin is durring all this. I actually didnt think I could have more disdain for a human being but he keeps opening his mouth. 

14 hours ago, Tommy said:

This reeks of bullshit propaganda. Ukraine immediately reported that they were killed, then the story of them heroically telling the russian warships to fuck off comes out (and good on them), now later, post hero status, "oh actually they fought until they ran out of ammo and are all alive and well. Russians bombing them? No sir."

Luckily I'm working really near at the moment so the rising  petrol prices wont affect me to much at the moment. Not that I'm complaining. Complaining about rising petrol prices when people are being killed is very cuntish 

• Administrator
27 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Complaining about rising petrol prices when people are being killed is very cuntish 

Is it?

In that sense, we can't ever complain about anything again?