talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Other PL Round 26 Matches - Saturday 18th February, 2022

football forum

• Administrator
24 minutes ago, RondónEFC said:

We deserved nothing today but this is how Southampton won the ball off us in the build up to the opening goal...?

Gomes miscontrolled it. But yeah probably a soft foul. 

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Danny said:

We have been shit today and that’s a deserved goal from Arsenal. They’ve not had a lot of good chances, but they’ve had a lot of opportunities to create and if you keep offering them that then eventually they’ll produce something good.

Weve had a lot of problems with injuries this season, a lot of results that you can pin down to circumstances outside of our hands. But today is fully on Frank.

Are you concerned or think it will all sort itself out in the end?

28 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Are you concerned or think it will all sort itself out in the end?

Concern hasn’t kicked in yet. Disappointed, but we still have positives. We didn’t defend badly today, we just couldn’t get a grip on the game.  Toney didn’t play today and I think he changes our entire style of play and gives us something to have a go at Arsenal.

Dasilva made his first start for us today in nearly a year, so technically he can only get better and in fairness to him he did look fairly sharp. Then we have Eriksen to come in, not sure which way that goes but if he’s as good as he was before then we have a very special player on our hands.

On top of that our midfield seems to be fully fit for the first time in a couple months as does our defence. So the ingredients are there to pull out the results we were getting beginning of the season.

Villa have 1pt from 3. 

Everton, leeds, newcastle, watford next 4. Then Brighton and Southampton after that. If they don't pick up at least 12 points there then what the fuck was the point of sacking Dean Smith. But we shall see

With this result it's mathematically impossible for them to pick up 12 from those 18 pts dangled at them. They have 4 from Everton, Leed, Newcastle and Watford. To be fair if they win their next 3 all this will be forgotten but at the moment I think it's very right to question the appointment. It's not looking luck much of a move forward. Early days though. 

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Danny said:

Concern hasn’t kicked in yet. Disappointed, but we still have positives. We didn’t defend badly today, we just couldn’t get a grip on the game.  Toney didn’t play today and I think he changes our entire style of play and gives us something to have a go at Arsenal.

Dasilva made his first start for us today in nearly a year, so technically he can only get better and in fairness to him he did look fairly sharp. Then we have Eriksen to come in, not sure which way that goes but if he’s as good as he was before then we have a very special player on our hands.

On top of that our midfield seems to be fully fit for the first time in a couple months as does our defence. So the ingredients are there to pull out the results we were getting beginning of the season.

No win in 7 but Newcastle, Norwich and Burnley your next 3 are absolutely huge. 

I think get through those and still stay 6/7 pts ahead of drop zone then you'll be fine. 

47 minutes ago, Stan said:

No win in 7 but Newcastle, Norwich and Burnley your next 3 are absolutely huge. 

I think get through those and still stay 6/7 pts ahead of drop zone then you'll be fine. 

Yeah it’s all dependent on what happens with those games, if the losing streak carries on then we have a problem. People have been worried that we’ve been on one but at the same time, no team in a relegation battle doesn’t have a losing streak. It’s all relative to the teams around you, and that seems to be the message the club are sharing with the players which is positive. So yeah, we’ll see.

6 minutes ago, OrangeKhrush said:

everyone up to Brighton looks vulnerable, maybe Southampton are better than Brighton now so the entire Bottom half are capable of going up fast or down fast

I disagree with that, I think Palace or anyone above would need an absolute implosion. For me it's Brentford and below 

7 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

I disagree with that, I think Palace or anyone above would need an absolute implosion. For me it's Brentford and below 

Palace are on 26,  we are on 22,  that can change rapidly,  given that maybe 6 weeks ago we were like 14 points off Palace.   Aston Villa are in free fall,  Brentford's best player insulted the club but through despiration they play him and are in a massive slide,  Everton also look bad and Leeds concede to easily.   Southampton are legitimately decent enough this year to finish top half by virtue of the bottom half being so congested.   2-3 wins and you are in the top half. 

• The topic was unpinned
8 minutes ago, OrangeKhrush said:

Palace are on 26,  we are on 22,  that can change rapidly,  given that maybe 6 weeks ago we were like 14 points off Palace.   Aston Villa are in free fall,  Brentford's best player insulted the club but through despiration they play him and are in a massive slide,  Everton also look bad and Leeds concede to easily.   Southampton are legitimately decent enough this year to finish top half by virtue of the bottom half being so congested.   2-3 wins and you are in the top half. 

I think you've fallen for the classic "Oh if a couple of bottom teams string 2-3 wins together the bottom 6 flips over"
Never happens, they're down there for a reason, Like I said, barring an implosion, Brentford down are in trouble. I think Watford are good enough to maybe JUST miss the drop if they catch a manager the team likes, and Newcastle will weasel their way out of trouble, Burnley for me are the most likely in bottom 3 to get their shit in gear and dodge the drop, at the likely cost of an Everton or Leeds. 

Just on Villa, the final 4 matches are now scheduled to be against Norwich (h) Burnley (a) Palace (h) & Man City (a). If they sink until then, I think most sides in contention would take that sort of run-in.

But being more optimistic, there are huge matches against Brighton (a) Southampton (h) & Leeds (a) up next for Villa. 4 to 7 points from those & it will all probably look a bit more secure & on the up again.

I could go into detail on the Villa squad, but maybe easier to just say they perhaps look better on paper than what they have been producing the last 3 games.

• Subscriber

Just seen this for the first time too... no penalty?

Again, we were absolutely rubbish yesterday but we did at least start well and if we take the lead from a penalty after 5 minutes it's a totally different game.

We haven't had too many stinkers against us this season that I can remember, so I'll leave my tinfoil hat on the shelf but I just don't see how that isn't a penalty. It's not even on the "you've seen them given" borderline. 75%+ of the time that's a penalty these days without complaint from the opponent.

• Administrator

Arsenal should have had at least 1 penalty as well for fouls on White and Lacazette in a matter of seconds. 

@RondónEFC based on what other penalties have been given for this season (on handball) I'd be giving that too. 

I was disappointed that we couldn't take advantage of a jetlagged Chelsea.

Once again it was the in game substitutes that were poor. We had a good 15-20 spell at the start of the second half, then Chelsea made a triple sub and went 3-4-3 we responded by taking off Jordan Ayew for Eberechi Eze. We gave Alonso the freedom of Croydon on the right and nobody felt surprised when they scored in the 90th minute. Its hard to blame Mitchell for the goal because there's no way Alonso should have been allowed the time to float the ball in that far to the box.

The Watford and Burnley games feel massive now to calm nerves. Watford just got a big win against Aston Villa and Burnley just bullied Brighton. Teams below have a lot of games of hand on us. I don't think we will get dragged in to a relegation battle but the sooner we can put this season to bed and move on to next season.

Archived