The better place to talk football.

Man City 2-2 Liverpool - Sunday 10th April, 2022

football forum

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
16 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Firmino’s been great this season, and with Salah and Sterling in that XI he might be just thinking about how to be feeding the 2 wide forwards.

He's been injured for a fair amount of it, no?

He's not above Mahrez, Jota, Mane in my opinion. And that's coming from someone that can recognise what Firmino can offer to Liverpool in previous seasons.

• Administrator
Just now, Danny said:

Just based on what I think the most functional team would be tbh. Didn’t think Firminho had been bad this season?

I didn't say he'd been bad.

These combined teams are a load of bollocks but if you're doing it I know what Danny is saying about the functionality of the team. 

Both teams play completely differently though. If you're playing like Klopp's Liverpool then Danny is probably right picking Firmino. 

1 hour ago, Stan said:

He's not above Mahrez, Jota, Mane in my opinion. And that's coming from someone that can recognise what Firmino can offer to Liverpool in previous seasons.

He has, but when he's played he's been great. I don't really like these combined sides so much because... I'm not sure some of these teams are really the most functional: like all the sides with Salah in the centre... sure he can play there and he can play well there... but he's a much better player coming in from the right side. I actually like @Danny's the best because it seems to account for what would make the most sense from a functionality perspective - getting the best out of these 2 sides that are full of class players.

I fully expect Firmino to start and I think in big matches we'll typically go with the "traditional" front 3 of Salah - Firmino - Mane. I think Jota's great, especially this season, but Firmino's such a good complement to 2 good forwards that come in from out wide - I think he fits a combined XI better than most players for these 2 sides personally. I also think it's hard to look passed a front 3 of Mane-Jota-Salah because on the pitch that's been the most productive front 3 this season tbh.

It's hard to leave any regular starter out of a combined XI. This season, I think there's an argument Matip's been consistently the best CB we have... but in a combined XI am I going to go with anything other than Dias-VVD? Nah probably not. For the front 3, there's Salah, Jota, and Mane as top 4 scorers in the league and that's a solid front 3 that's actually performed well together. Hard to look past that for a combined XI generally... but this is Citeh we're talking about. But I think Mahrez is actually hot on their tales so leaving him out is also a bit harsh too.

It's easy to make a great XI from these teams - it's not so easy to make a great XI that would be as functionally good as either side irl. Imo Danny's looks the most likely to do the most damage. I still think the uncombined XIs of both respective teams would probably do better over the course of a season though.

• Administrator

@Dr. Gonzo its only a quick thing to mess about with. It doesn't have to be ultimately perfect. Just picking the best players for both in some kind of fantasy XI. Doesn't need to be taken so seriously! 

3 hours ago, Stan said:

You can add Bernardo & Foden to that list too

1 minute ago, Cicero said:

Cancelo merely on consistency. He's been influential throughout. I remember earlier in the season Liverpool fans wanting Tsimikas to get a run of games during Robertson's bad patch. 

He had 3 mediocre games. Then he was his usual outstanding same.

7 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

He had 3 mediocre games. Then he was his usual outstanding same.

His 'usual outstanding' performances still has him beneath Cancelo in almost every metric bar assists. 

Cancelo has been a different level this season. 

11 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Cancelo merely on consistency. He's been influential throughout. I remember earlier in the season Liverpool fans wanting Tsimikas to get a run of games during Robertson's bad patch. 

I don't remember anyone seriously thinking Tsimikas should be the consistent starter at left back. Tsimikas is good, but Robertson's pure quality.

7 hours ago, LFCMadLad said:

No he is not. 

I think Robbo is better than TAA. By a distance too. But Cancelo is just mental. Defensively probably worse than Robertson, but fuck me his passing, pings and cuntstomping shots are 🔥

---------------------------------------------Alice in Wonderland----------------------------------
England's 2rd best right back---VVD------------------ Dias------------------Cancelo
-------------------------------------Rodri--------------------------Fabinho------------------------------
Salah----------------------------------------------KDB----------------------------------------------Silva
-------------------------------------------------------Jota------------------------------------------------------

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Danny said:

It’s United v Arsenal and it’s not up for debate 

Yeah that Keane/Vieira and Wenger/Fergie battle was superb. And then mini-battles all over the pitch as well. There was proper fire in each game. 

• The title was changed to Man City 2-2 Liverpool - Sunday 10th April, 2022
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived