talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Marc Cucurella - Chelsea Sign Defender

5 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Still think it's weird they're now saying "we don't want to pay over the odds on a player" a year after spending an insane amount on Grealish. Especially because I think Cucurella would actually fit in at City, unlike Grealish, and they'd only have to pay a bit more than what they'd already bid... as opposed to going way over what they initially bid on Grealish to land him.

Nah that's simple. You MUST play a certain number of Englishmen. English players aren't exactly the ones lighting up the league, so the ones that go into your team without making it worse are ironically the most expensive. 

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • The title was changed to Marc Cucurella - Chelsea Agree Terms With Defender
3 hours ago, Waylander said:

Pleaded with this based on what I saw last season and also suggests Chilwell's recovery is not straightforward.

Really surprised City did not raise their offer. 

We value him at £30million, he was only ever going to be backup for Cancelo so probably why we have walked away

30 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Who's plan B?

Nothing concreate yet but we have Wison-Esbrand a very promising academy player and Ake who can cover LB too, really we don't need to buy cover, if we are going to splash big money at that position we are better off getting a player like Davies or Gosens etc

6 hours ago, Happy Blue said:

1 goal and 1 assist, he might be good in defence but just not worth that kind of money to us when he'd just be cover too. Hopefully we find a player that's good in attack too 

Honestly if he'd signed he'd be the best prospect in world football. 

He's an absolute flyer, up and down and whilst he may not have that many assists I wonder how many of Brighton's goals came from hard work and endeavour. 

30 minutes ago, Devil said:

Honestly if he'd signed he'd be the best prospect in world football. 

He's an absolute flyer, up and down and whilst he may not have that many assists I wonder how many of Brighton's goals came from hard work and endeavour. 

I've not taken much interest in him tbh so just going off he's stats

6 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Nah that's simple. You MUST play a certain number of Englishmen. English players aren't exactly the ones lighting up the league, so the ones that go into your team without making it worse are ironically the most expensive. 

I guess that’s a serious problem for sides that don’t use their academies. Which tbf City does sometimes… so I still think it’s weird 

Wouldn't consider him a panic buy. Cucurella has spent a season shining in probably the most similar system to ours stylistically (back 3, fluid, pressing, creates a decent amount) so he's quite a clear fit

I think our system is very dependent on our wingbacks so its assuring to know we have adequate depth in fear of another injury crises like last season. 

6 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Wouldn't consider him a panic buy. Cucurella has spent a season shining in probably the most similar system to ours stylistically (back 3, fluid, pressing, creates a decent amount) so he's quite a clear fit

I think our system is very dependent on our wingbacks so its assuring to know we have adequate depth in fear of another injury crises like last season. 

Not a panic buy in terms of quality or depth he could provide us with. It has to do with the price 50 mill is way too much for one good season.

5 minutes ago, True Blue said:

Not a panic buy in terms of quality or depth he could provide us with. It has to do with the price 50 mill is way too much for one good season.

Oh I agree, but not much of a choice given the state we are in.

Also, I say its worth it if we don't have to see either Alonso or Emerson ever again. 

Plus point to signing Cucurella is he has been used to playing in a back 3 for Brighton so offers that versatility of filling in as a centre back, much like Reece James and Azpilicueta can do assuming Chelsea go with a back three.

I also wonder if there is scope to use a system where they could potentially push Chilwell further forward with Cucurella behind.

But mayve one of the biggest plusses of signing him will mean Tuchel will feel there is less need to put James in the back three when he clearly is nore dynamic as a wing back with licence to attack. 

That was always the odd one to me last season.

1 hour ago, Cicero said:

Oh I agree, but not much of a choice given the state we are in.

Also, I say its worth it if we don't have to see either Alonso or Emerson ever again. 

I actually don't think Alonso or Emerson are that bad especially Alonso. However both should have move a couple of seasons ago.

7 minutes ago, True Blue said:

I actually don't think Alonso or Emerson are that bad especially Alonso. However both should have move a couple of seasons ago.

You know what you are going to get with them, and for a club competing for top honors neither are good enough.

• The title was changed to Marc Cucurella - Chelsea Sign Defender
  • Administrator

Good on Brighton. Putting some journos to shame, especially Romano. Might get done eventually, but as of right now Brighton will know if he's their player still or not. Would rather trust them than a journo... 

Archived