talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

UK Politics & Brexit Discussion

football forums

• Administrator
14 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Election 4th July. Finally. Feels like we've waited forever.

Independence Day! 

I really can't being myself to vote for Starmer but my local Labour MP is actually alright. Feel like anything is better than these Tory bastards but I'm still not sure what I'll do come election day

22 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

I really can't being myself to vote for Starmer but my local Labour MP is actually alright. Feel like anything is better than these Tory bastards but I'm still not sure what I'll do come election day

Can’t say I like Starmer either, but I don’t really see an alternative atm. Just feel like anything other than a Labour majority can still end up being Tory.

3 minutes ago, Danny said:

Can’t say I like Starmer either, but I don’t really see an alternative atm. Just feel like anything other than a Labour majority can still end up being Tory.

Yeah I can definitely see why people will vote Labour to get rid of the Tories. If there's a genuine left alternative standing where I am I'll vote them. Considering Greens but I just see them as middle class/student types that I can't really relate with even though I'd probably agree with a lot of their policies.

53 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Yeah I can definitely see why people will vote Labour to get rid of the Tories. If there's a genuine left alternative standing where I am I'll vote them. Considering Greens but I just see them as middle class/student types that I can't really relate with even though I'd probably agree with a lot of their policies.

I don't get how people don't vote like this. 

Stop worrying about who has charisma
Stop worrying about the mud other slides have slung
Stop worrying about optics. 

Go to the websites of each party you're considering, look at their mission, and the individual policies and promises they're making, have a quick look at the local candidates too, then fucking vote based on whos policies benefit YOU and the nation the most. 

This is how awful governments get and stay in power. People too worried about white noise and feedback.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
7 hours ago, LFCMike said:

Labour are going to win so heavily that I think if you're pretty left wing it's worth throwing your vote to the Greens or an independent candidate if there is one as a bit of a protest vote. If a million or two people across the country do that then Labour will still have a huge majority, they won't lose more than a handful of seats, but it might just inspire them not to just take their left wing voters for granted and remember they still need to win those votes by being progressive on the environment, public sector, etc.

11 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Go to the websites of each party you're considering, look at their mission, and the individual policies and promises they're making, have a quick look at the local candidates too, then fucking vote based on whos policies benefit YOU and the nation the most. 

This is how awful governments get and stay in power. People too worried about white noise and feedback.

Yeah that’s the most direct action of voting, and the most rational. The only problem is that once you step outside of the two party system, voting like that tends to favour the party the relies the most on political apathy, usually the party with the most media support and in the case of the UK, that’d be the Tories. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

That's exactly what I'll be doing and why I don't think I can bring myself to vote Labour in its current form. My concern with the Greens is that I don't feel like they have that base to make a change in proper working class communities like a proper Labour movement should. Now they're never going to get close to winning so maybe I shouldn't be worried about that at all. Labour will win quite handily in my constituency so it'll merely be a kind of protest vote as Rando said in reply to me.

11 hours ago, Spike said:

Yeah that’s the most direct action of voting, and the most rational. The only problem is that once you step outside of the two party system, voting like that tends to favour the party the relies the most on political apathy, usually the party with the most media support and in the case of the UK, that’d be the Tories. 

Imagine what a difference, and fuck it'd be HUGE, if Corbyn got 2-3 terms, and his policies (the list of which are tried and tested in other nations and are very successful) were implemented. But no, "HE'S A COMMUNIST, HE HATES MY CAR AND HATES JEWS". 

51 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Imagine what a difference, and fuck it'd be HUGE, if Corbyn got 2-3 terms, and his policies (the list of which are tried and tested in other nations and are very successful) were implemented. But no, "HE'S A COMMUNIST, HE HATES MY CAR AND HATES JEWS". 

Yeah, Corbyn was an excellent legislator but unfortunately a bad politiker, the dumbass killed his chances a decade (literally I think it happened in 2009) before running when he mindlessly referred to Hamas and Hezbollah as his 'mates' (as if it bloody matters).

Same with Bill Shorten, he would have been mad.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Spike said:

Yeah, Corbyn was an excellent legislator but unfortunately a bad politiker, the dumbass killed his chances a decade (literally I think it happened in 2009) before running when he mindlessly referred to Hamas and Hezbollah as his 'mates' (as if it bloody matters).

Same with Bill Shorten, he would have been mad.

Shortens list of policies freakishly foreshadows the challenges the nation would come to face over the next 4-7 years. It's mental. 

5 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Shortens list of policies freakishly foreshadows the challenges the nation would come to face over the next 4-7 years. It's mental. 

Literally JUST the shift of Holden manufacturing cars to EVs and batteries to get a foothold in the SEA market would have been nice, instead we have no Holden, what will bogans drive when the Commodore completely disappears?

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)

Labour's candidate standing against Corbyn works for his family's private health company. Labour MPs taking donations from private health companies. How can people trust them with the NHS?

Edited by LFCMike

10 hours ago, LFCMike said:

Labour's candidate standing against Corbyn works for his family's private health company. Labour MPs taking donations from private health companies. How can people trust them with the NHS?

He won’t win, won’t come close imo. It’s pretty much a Corbyn stronghold.

• Administrator

Labour really shooting themselves in the foot with a) their treatment of Faiza Shaheen, b) the hiring/acceptance of someone like Natalie Elphicke and c) the hiring/acceptance of Luke Akehurst into the party.

All they have to do is avoid controversy and they'll keep votes. It's embarrassing seeing them try to fuck this up. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, 6666 said:

Labour are just trying to be as Tory as possible without being as Tory as the Tories.

I think Starmer wants to be PM at all costs and in the UK, Labour's only going to get a PM if they're like Tony Blair - i.e., only way Labour get a PM is if they're not really very Labour at all. The electorate generally likes Tories, even if they're clueless scum. Right now confidence in Tories is at an all time low because the country's gone to absolute shit.

I blame the electorate for the state of UK politics. And the media... but mostly the electorate. I'd have been able to forgive them if they could see through the right-wing media after just a few years of shambolic governance... but they stuck by some absolute rotten politicians even when shown the bullshit criticisms of certain labour politicians were simply bullshit.

Our democracy has a lot that makes me think "well... that's not very democratic" - but it's still a democracy so ultimately the voters shoulder a lot of blame for the policies and general woefulness of their governments.

• Subscriber
5 hours ago, Stan said:

Labour really shooting themselves in the foot with a) their treatment of Faiza Shaheen, b) the hiring/acceptance of someone like Natalie Elphicke and c) the hiring/acceptance of Luke Akehurst into the party.

All they have to do is avoid controversy and they'll keep votes. It's embarrassing seeing them try to fuck this up. 

Not to mention the treatment of Diane Abbott. All so unnecessary and poorly handled.