talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Steven Gerrard Sacked by Aston Villa; Unai Emery to Take Over

Big get for Aston Villa. Surprised Emery would leave Villarreal for Aston Villa but I'm sure the money's good and I'm sure he wants another go at a Premier League club.

I think his style of management fits a team that much might not be expected of but have enough weapons to upset teams.

• The title was changed to Steven Gerrard Sacked by Aston Villa; Unai Emery to Take Over
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Tough fixtures to come for Villa, before and after WC. Think he'll get them firing quite quickly regardless. Very competent manager. Surprised he has left Villarreal though. 

• Subscriber

He was my number one here (assuming Amorim isn't attainable) because I did think he's probably achieved all he realistically can at Villarreal. It's as good an appointment somebody outside the elite sides can make I think.

22 hours ago, Danny said:

Do not understand Unai Emery. His Arsenal team was devoid of any form of footballing nous, no footballing identity, crumbled into pieces and yet his Villarreal side have turned into prime Barcelona 

To be fair to Emery his first season we finished 5th a place higher than the year before and got to the europa league final.

He had a very bad run in his second season and was sacked but arteta had a similar run and wasn't. If he had been given more time he might have turned it around. 

On 25/10/2022 at 10:50, Gunnersaurus said:

To be fair to Emery his first season we finished 5th a place higher than the year before and got to the europa league final.

He had a very bad run in his second season and was sacked but arteta had a similar run and wasn't. If he had been given more time he might have turned it around. 

I think a part of why he failed isn't just because of the results - it was also because Arsenal after 2 seasons didn't really look like they had any identity or organisation. When Arteta had a similar run, it wasn't just the results - but the performances showed that he had some idea of giving Arsenal an identity.

I don't know why he couldn't really get an identity going at Arsenal, but he was able to get it done at: Valencia, Sevilla, and Villareal. I think if the players respect him (and they should, I think this is a real coup for Villa) and he can communicate his ideas across to them... this will likely to be a good long term appointment for them.

1 hour ago, The Palace Fan said:

Aston Villa have behaved how I expected Newcastle to behave when they were bought out. Bringing in the likes of Digne, Coutinho under a high profile name and quite amusingly being worse off for it.

To be fair we tried to appoint Gerrard and sign Digne. Neither fancied the relegation battle. Similar story with Emery who got spooked last minute. Villa's big money signing Diego Carlos was lined up to join us in January but Sevilla asked for silly money at the time.

We've almost been two sides of the same coin.

We've got lucky but we are also punching at the minute and Villa are underachieving. 

8 minutes ago, Honey Honey said:

To be fair we tried to appoint Gerrard and sign Digne. Neither fancied the relegation battle. Similar story with Emery who got spooked last minute. Villa's big money signing Diego Carlos was lined up to join us in January but Sevilla asked for silly money at the time.

We've almost been two sides of the same coin.

We've got lucky but we are also punching at the minute and Villa are underachieving. 

Emery was close to joining but Villareal's president pulled the plug,  in another world we would have gotten Emery.

I think we did get lucky on a few transfers that didn't work out and maybe that was the sign of changing times,  not to make the mistakes.   Since Ashworth has come in we seem to be after very specific types of players with reports linking us to Mikel merino return and Trossard,  I also read that Mudryk is interested,  which shows the type of profile we are looking at. 

31 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Didn't Emery turn Newcastle down because he was in the middle of an impressive run in the CL with Villareal? Pretty sure he even made a statement about it saying "I can't leave Villareal now" after one of the matches.

It’s called getting paid, getting laid, and smashing cocaine, you silly bitch.

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Didn't Emery turn Newcastle down because he was in the middle of an impressive run in the CL with Villareal? Pretty sure he even made a statement about it saying "I can't leave Villareal now" after one of the matches.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/aston-villa-emery-newcastle-arsenal-28319243

"With Arsenal, you first had to knock down the walls, which is hard work, then start to build again. Newcastle, no; it was just about building from the ground up. So it is different, and I liked the idea. But I was also grateful to Villarreal for the opportunity they gave me, and we were in the Champions League."

It could be argued that Villa are in a similar position to where Newcastle were 11 months ago. They are hovering just above the relegation zone but have ambitions to break into Europe and challenge for honours in the future. Emery can mould them in his image.

10 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

it may have been one factor but the deal was scuppered by Villarreal President

I don't think war on villa were in our predicament, thry spent about 400m more and have a much higher baseline of player to work off.

what how has excelled at is transforming Joelinton, Almiron, Longstaff, Schar into their best.   the latter three all did well under Benitez but were abject under Bruce.

Villa have much higher level players that are just under performing

22 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Is it right that Digne has actually lost his place there to Ashley Young?

As Stan said, he was injured. And soon followed by Augustinsson, specifically brought in as Digne's backup. Ashley Young actually 3rd choice left back & has been quite useful to have.

7 hours ago, OrangeKhrush said:

it may have been one factor but the deal was scuppered by Villarreal President

There's been a few versions I've read or heard. Apparently there was no release clause when Newcastle were interested. But then also Champions League semi finalists. And the Championship was looking more likely for Newcastle.

I sense there may have been a mutual not this time, but if an option comes up again sort of conversation with Emery & Villarreal.

4 hours ago, Reluctant Striker said:

As Stan said, he was injured. And soon followed by Augustinsson, specifically brought in as Digne's backup. Ashley Young actually 3rd choice left back & has been quite useful to have.

There's been a few versions I've read or heard. Apparently there was no release clause when Newcastle were interested. But then also Champions League semi finalists. And the Championship was looking more likely for Newcastle.

I sense there may have been a mutual not this time, but if an option comes up again sort of conversation with Emery & Villarreal.

the champions league semis were in March/April by then we were around 13th

• 5 months later...
  • Subscriber
On 24/10/2022 at 20:15, Dan said:

Emery official. I'm very jealous. He'd have probably been my first choice if I deemed him attainable. Great appointment.

Those receipts.

Archived