The better place to talk football.

PL Gameweek 38 Fixtures - Sunday 28th May, 2023

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Storts said:

hahahahahahahah. Absolutely rattled.

Enjoy that tinpot competition. Very glad to be out of it 

Not rattled at all, just don’t like Spurs you have this sense of entitlement because you challenged a few years ago under Poch but ultimately achieved fuck all apart from significant revenue increase which will dip as you slide back down. 

• Subscriber
40 minutes ago, Spike said:

A bit ruffled mate?

Quite the opposite. Never given Villa a second thought and don’t care for that competition. It’s just funny to see such strong feelings towards us from someone we have zero rivalry with.  

• Subscriber
39 minutes ago, Fairy In Boots said:

Not rattled at all, just don’t like Spurs you have this sense of entitlement because you challenged a few years ago under Poch but ultimately achieved fuck all apart from significant revenue increase which will dip as you slide back down. 

Clearly you are if your first thought is to post about spurs after having your best season in ages. Very very strange to me, Villa don’t occupy any part of my mind. We’ve finished in Europe 13 seasons in a row before this. We are a financial juggernaut. And we’ve had a terrible season where you’ve finished 1 point above us, congrats. But doesn’t take too much for us to get it right again, all the infrastructure is in place. 

8 minutes ago, Storts said:

Clearly you are if your first thought is to post about spurs after having your best season in ages. Very very strange to me, Villa don’t occupy any part of my mind. We’ve finished in Europe 13 seasons in a row before this. We are a financial juggernaut. And we’ve had a terrible season where you’ve finished 1 point above us, congrats. But doesn’t take too much for us to get it right again, all the infrastructure is in place. 

We literally competed today for conference league spot, if we didn’t beat Brighton you’d have won that place, why would I not mention you when we beat you to it? Bizarre to pretend that you wouldn’t have been out to qualify for that competition, yes you’ve significantly increased turnover, UEFA competitions and match day revenue have driven that, both will be missing next year, good thing you’re a “financial juggernaut” you can live with the decreased revenue. 
And you can have all the infrastructure in the world but you’ve become a graveyard of managers and have a squad that has shortcomings. Don’t even have a DOF atm do you?  It’s all gone a bit spursy hasn’t it

5 minutes ago, Spike said:

Villa has two trophies in the last thirty years, and Spurs have one, but Spurs won more recently. Call it a draw, boys.

21 minutes ago, Storts said:

Quite the opposite. Never given Villa a second thought and don’t care for that competition. It’s just funny to see such strong feelings towards us from someone we have zero rivalry with.  

It’s not a strong feeling just an observation, I think because I swear a bit when I write here you think I’m frothing at the mouth typing, quite the opposite I couldn’t care less. Maybe it’s my choice of words idk, was it because I called Kane a “filthy cheat” 🤣

5 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Unlucky @Dan @Stan @Lucas. I'll miss your contributions about your own clubs in this section of the forum. Horrible business. We're all just passengers as fans nowadays and all three of our fanbases have been badly let down by a load of shite served up by those running the clubs.

I was relieved for about 3 seconds after that final whistle before the anger kicked back in. This season has been an absolute disgrace for this football club and we should have been relegated. Besides the poor performances on the pitch, the basic decision making and strategic thinking at the club needs a total overhaul. 

Kenwright needs to be gone tomorrow morning with Moshiri following him as soon as possible otherwise all we've done today is defer the death spiral we've found ourselves in by another year. Sack the board already ringing out at Goodison Park and rightly so.

Cheers pal.

Big, big Summer for you now. If you cannot learn anything from two relegation battles in a row and squeaking out of both, there's probably no hope.

I have to say Dyche was the difference and he's done a bloody great job in the circumstances. I kept saying Everton had to get him, he played you to your strengths and given he had to deal with a lot of games without Calvert-Lewin and no transfer window to do anything, he's been terrific and he's done it in a very likeable, honest way.

Got to move forward now mate, no excuses.

5 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

Don't worry @Lucas. Least you had a really good FPL season. The Leicester City fans literally have nothing.

I'm going for a gaffr Top 10 finish now I'll be watching that league every week.

Unless you're a fan that is actually going to go all these weird and wonderful grounds in the Europa Conferance League, I think I'd rather finish 8th. Its bizarre we even have a tournament for the losers who couldn't qualify for the tournament that's for the losers that didn't qualify for The Champions League. But even more so, we've seen with Leicester City and West Ham how going far in that tournament can impact performances in the Premier League. Chelsea and Spurs will have an advantage next season without having to factor the Thursday travel and preparation in to there schedule.

---

The more I think of Leicester City's relegation the more I think it shows that not anybody is safe. Its mental to think just two years ago they won the FA Cup, and when they missed out on top four, people here correctly predicted that missing out on the prestige and revenue being in the Champions League would bring Leicester was going to be a turning point that would hurt them. I wasn't one or those people and thought it was an overreaction, largely because Leicester were recognised as one of the best teams at the time when it came to using the technological advances and sports science effectively. But for them to have made a catalogue of errors, from the recruitment to the reluctance to change managers, that has led to this rather swift and spectacular downfall, its a real warning side to anybody that's not in the top five at present how downhill things can really go.

4 hours ago, Whiskey said:

Commiserations to @Stan @Dan and @Lucas. Today was a shite day, really hoping that you bounce back up. Genuinely think you're great lads, head up.

Cheers fella, let's hope it doesn't take 17 years again, I'm not up for that shit anymore xD

Not got much to say about today really. It went exactly how I expected and predicted.

If anything, I've got to salute Leeds for executing the gameplan to perfection.

There was about a 2% chance of staying up but we extinguished all hope 2mins in and stopped anyone allowing themselves to dream of a miracle early.

No false hope to kill us, just straight in no fucking about fold early doors and let everyone relax for an hour and a half pain free.

Got to love Big Sam playing 6 defenders in the team. Joke's on him, he should have played 8.

• Subscriber

I don't feel as upset as I thought I would, and I think that's quite telling that in my head I just knew. I think part of it was that we have been so utterly abject throughout the season that we didn't deserve it even if we got it. I mean if we'd stayed up, we'd have matched the lowest points tally a survivor has ever got. So we were lucky to even take it this far.

The most annoying thing for me is how little attention this fuck up will get relative to what it should. This is an absolutely unbelievable squander. It makes you question how many strides you truly can make.

whether it was Leicester or Everton, both teams would have been a story of a fall from grace.   I think Leicester can better cope and possibly rebuild but for Everton relegation may have ended the club.

While Evertonians will be relieved it is only for the day, in just about 3 months time it starts all over and that team is poor, they will have very little money so it's hard to look beyond another relegation battle.

Everton have all the hallmarks of a Burnley under Dyche type side that survive next year and then management replace Dyche because they want to play “the Everton way” and then get relegated. It’s just abysmal management at boardroom level

2 hours ago, OrangeKhrush said:

whether it was Leicester or Everton, both teams would have been a story of a fall from grace.   I think Leicester can better cope and possibly rebuild but for Everton relegation may have ended the club.

While Evertonians will be relieved it is only for the day, in just about 3 months time it starts all over and that team is poor, they will have very little money so it's hard to look beyond another relegation battle.

I don't know about that I think Leicester are in major bother 7th highest wage bill in the PL and now relegated? The financial situation must be awful.

• Administrator
39 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

I don't know about that I think Leicester are in major bother 7th highest wage bill in the PL and now relegated? The financial situation must be awful.

It's not great, but that wage bill is will be heavily reduced for a variety of reasons - a) they've all got wage reduction clauses as we've now been relegated and b) some of the very high earners will now be leaving - Maddison, Barnes, Evans, Soyuncu, Bertrand. That's a lot of wage money coming off, not to mention the transfer fees we'll get for the first too.

We're not in the best of financial positions (which is a disgrace and points to how badly this club has been managed from the very top), but I don't think it's disastrously bad. 

We just have go to back to basics and go back to the model that got us successful in the past 10 years. Invest in the academy, find a gem here or there on the cheap, and sell them for huge money within 2-3 years, then use that money to re-invest wisely. Giving Rodgers more control over the finances and recruitment over the past 12-18 months has killed us. 

Media twats will say he wasn't backed. I beg to differ. The vast majority of his signings since he arrived have pretty much failed to do anything worthwhile, main culprits being Vestergaard, Daka, Bertrand, Soumare, Ward...

1 hour ago, Stan said:

It's not great, but that wage bill is will be heavily reduced for a variety of reasons - a) they've all got wage reduction clauses as we've now been relegated and b) some of the very high earners will now be leaving - Maddison, Barnes, Evans, Soyuncu, Bertrand. That's a lot of wage money coming off, not to mention the transfer fees we'll get for the first too.

We're not in the best of financial positions (which is a disgrace and points to how badly this club has been managed from the very top), but I don't think it's disastrously bad. 

We just have go to back to basics and go back to the model that got us successful in the past 10 years. Invest in the academy, find a gem here or there on the cheap, and sell them for huge money within 2-3 years, then use that money to re-invest wisely. Giving Rodgers more control over the finances and recruitment over the past 12-18 months has killed us. 

Media twats will say he wasn't backed. I beg to differ. The vast majority of his signings since he arrived have pretty much failed to do anything worthwhile, main culprits being Vestergaard, Daka, Bertrand, Soumare, Ward...

You'd know more about the financial situation there than I would tbf and I agree you'll get decent money for Barnes and Maddison.

Your next managerial appointment will be absolutely crucial get it right like Burnley and you could storm the championship get it wrong and it could be years of misery and financial hardship.

4 hours ago, Fairy In Boots said:

Everton have all the hallmarks of a Burnley under Dyche type side that survive next year and then management replace Dyche because they want to play “the Everton way” and then get relegated. It’s just abysmal management at boardroom level

Pretty sure Moshiri & their board smoke crack before making any important decisions

For Villa to finish 7th, from where they were when Unai Emery arrived, in a league where the Euro spots have regular long established annual contenders, who consider themselves to have failed if 5th, is truly remarkable. Regardless what is or is not going at other clubs, it feels truly hopeful & exciting, for the first time in a long time, to be following Aston Villa.

The European competitions have made increasingly less sense to me for a long time. The old 3 tournament set up, when 1 was for actual champions, 1 for cup winners & 1 for those who had not actually won. That made sense. It has been a financially stacked deck for a long time. 

Sad to see Dean Smith go down 2 seasons in a row. A bit confused as to what is wrong with a player betting on himself to score or win. Bewildered that Inter Milan are in a Champions League final. 

38 minutes ago, Reluctant Striker said:

For Villa to finish 7th, from where they were when Unai Emery arrived, in a league where the Euro spots have regular long established annual contenders, who consider themselves to have failed if 5th, is truly remarkable. Regardless what is or is not going at other clubs, it feels truly hopeful & exciting, for the first time in a long time, to be following Aston Villa.

The European competitions have made increasingly less sense to me for a long time. The old 3 tournament set up, when 1 was for actual champions, 1 for cup winners & 1 for those who had not actually won. That made sense. It has been a financially stacked deck for a long time. 

Sad to see Dean Smith go down 2 seasons in a row. A bit confused as to what is wrong with a player betting on himself to score or win. Bewildered that Inter Milan are in a Champions League final. 

Villa qualifying for Europe shows how bad of a manager Steven Gerrard is.

1 hour ago, Whiskey said:

Villa qualifying for Europe shows how bad of a manager Steven Gerrard is.

Yes. Sometimes managers are treated harshly. Often with unrealistic looking aims behind the idea to change managers. But certainly Villa this season prove the counter point that sometimes clubs do just need a change to a better man-manager & more tactically astute decision maker. The worst bit for Gerrard was that most people could see he was not even close to getting either part right. Lots he could learn from Emery, for any possible Liverpool or England future, if he does make a return.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived