talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

James Ward-Prowse Leaves Southampton for West Ham

• Administrator

Liverpool are plotting a move for James Ward-Prowse after appearing to lose out on Mason Mount to Manchester United.

Mount has agreed personal terms with the Red Devils, having entered the final year of his contract at Chelsea. United will now need to agree a deal with the Blues, though given that Mount is set on an exit that would appear to be simple.

According to the Daily Mail, the midfielder is almost certain to leave Southampton this summer following their relegation from the top-flight. The Saints have set a £50million price tag on their captain, though Liverpool are prepared to play a waiting game.

There is a feeling that the south coast side will lower their asking price as the window wears on, with funds needed to rebuild their own squad for a promotion challenge. The Reds would be willing to spend around £25m on Ward-Prowse.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-klopp-mount-ward-prowse-30206913

• Subscriber

I'm not a 100% sure why we're going for him now. I'd have loved to see him play for us maybe two seasons ago? But we had such a good midfield then you can understand why no one at the club pursued him. 

31 minutes ago, Rick said:

I do not want Ward Prowse playing in our first 11. He is too expensive to be a squad player for this club. No thanks, we already have Trent for free kicks. 

Ward-Prowse is probably the best free kick taker in the world, perhaps even since Juninho.

1 hour ago, Spike said:

Ward-Prowse is probably the best free kick taker in the world, perhaps even since Juninho.

To be fair, saving yourself £50m and relying on Trent's delivery is not a bad back up.

I personally don't see him as an essential fit for Liverpool. He would be a luxury squad player if anything, but they should look elsewhere.

I think they could do with more muscle and bite to get that intensity they once had back personally.

53 minutes ago, Lucas said:

To be fair, saving yourself £50m and relying on Trent's delivery is not a bad back up.

I personally don't see him as an essential fit for Liverpool. He would be a luxury squad player if anything, but they should look elsewhere.

I think they could do with more muscle and bite to get that intensity they once had back personally.

I don’t think it’s a good move for either too. He should be a nailed on starter at his ability.  But maybe a midfield of Ward-Prowse, Mac Allister, and Thiago is exactly what Liverpool needs. That actually sounds pretty strong IMO

I thought that Liverpool were struggling a bit with their home-grown quota, especially if they want to move any HG players out?

Even if they have to pay somewhat more than you'd ideally want to for a squad player, it might be worth it in that respect.

2 hours ago, Spike said:

I don’t think it’s a good move for either too. He should be a nailed on starter at his ability.  But maybe a midfield of Ward-Prowse, Mac Allister, and Thiago is exactly what Liverpool needs. That actually sounds pretty strong IMO

Thiago's just going to replace Ox/Keita's role in the squad of giving the physios lots of practice, tbh.

• 1 month later...
  • The title was changed to James Ward-Prowse - West Ham Linked

West Ham's problem is Southampton don't need to sell, JWP doesn't seem to be forcing a move and Saints know West Ham have banked £100m odd from Rice.

West Ham can play hardball all they want but I think they are going to have to bend a bit more than the £30m quoted.

4 hours ago, OrangeKhrush said:

Soton have priced everything with a pulse at 50m or more.  must be the most expensive relegated team ever.

They’ve always played hardball when selling, this will be no different.

10 hours ago, Honey Honey said:

Everyone is at the end of their tether with this lot. You've been relegated, know your place, bend over :ph34r:

11 hours ago, Spike said:

They’ve always played hardball when selling, this will be no different.

they are playing some serious hard ball, they may as well say they are not interested in selling

• The title was changed to James Ward-Prowse Leaves Southampton for West Ham